What's in YOUR Fleet?

You and I are in complete agreement.

Iā€™m deeply backed and have been here since '12, but Iā€™m also a realist, this isnā€™t the game I backed originally and 80% of the things they ā€œpromisedā€ arenā€™t going to be in the game, at launch or ever. Itā€™s a space battle royal with some industry and crafting.

Iā€™m with you on this Mac. SC has changed so much since my Kickstarter pledge in 2012. Iā€™m just resigned to sit on my hands until the game officially releases. Until then I may tweak my ship fleet here and there as new ships come out but there will be no more money from me if I can help it.

Iā€™m tweaking. Turned a Tonk into a Scorpius, because I had 2. Bought some paints. I have a vision on how I would like to play in the PU, and if itā€™s possible to play that way I may very well enjoy it. Weā€™ll see.

Iā€™ve been seriously debating whether to divest my collection. This is less and less appearing to be the game I wanted to play, and the design may turn into a dull time sink. There are also some attractive options becoming available that while not as pretty have deep play.

Iā€™m starting to feel the same way but am clinging on to some hope. If they follow through on the way theyā€™re promoting the Odyssey as a self-sufficient base you can sail away on, it may well have some value for me. But the more they talk, the more I see that theyā€™re turning this game into a PvP gankfest, an enormous time sink on consumables and, worst of all for me personally, deliberately making it a game that you can only effectively play in multiplayer, in orgs, with other players. The single player is being left incrementally - and intentionally IMO - behind.

I believe a lot of us PVE types have felt that weā€™ve been betrayed by CIG in that it was initially promoted as a PVE friendly game that later became centrally about PVP where the PVE players are the loot baits for the PVPā€™ers. This belief of mine is reinforced by CIGā€™s response to griefing below:

Excessive Griefing & Stream Sniping - Announcements - Star Citizen - Spectrum v5.6.2 (robertsspaceindustries.com)

Myself I am sad and very disillusioned about the game and where it looks to be going. Since I have already invested a significant amount in this game and which I do not see as being recoverable, I have made the decision to only recycle the funds that I have committed and then wait out the development to see how the game plays in the end. Hopefully there will still be ā€œprotectedā€ non-pvp areas that I can sandbox in otherwise the game will be a write off for me as well.

1 Like

I am decidedly in the camp of ā€œStop with the new ships and put out a damn game!ā€ Regardless of what they publish, Squadron 42 SHOULD have been out by now. You wonā€™t convince me otherwise. Iā€™m rather tired of comparisons to other AAA games and how long they took to produce. This is at least a couple of years longer than any other significant MMO. They donā€™t seem any closer to me to delivering something truly playable anytime soon. I donā€™t really care about improvements that the player base cannot see or that they completely changed platforms midstream. Iā€™m feeling like just get it done already and add the other stuff in the future.

Are refunds still an option? LOL

Upgraded my ANVL Carrack to a MISC Odyssey.

I stayed the course, the Odyssey is a sharp ship though.

This is it. Iā€™m not sinking any more money into this game. God help me if my wife finds out!

Gladius Avenger
Prospector
Banu Merchantman.

1 Like

The new inventory system brings with it ā€œfull lootā€ PvP, where you lose all your gear when you die. Thatā€™s a long detour from the promise of being able to avoid PvP.

hmm, to sell my ā€œsharesā€ while they still have some value?

If the game just ends up being a full loot full PvP game they can shut up and give me my money back because thatā€™s not what I was ā€œinvestingā€ in. :smirk:

Never was promised that you would be able to avoid PVP entirely.
You are referring to the slider which was removed many years ago.

That was the pre 2015 design and that is NOT the game they are building.

If you are still hoping for that game, then you will be sadly disappointed.

The PvP slider is no longer part of the game, nor will it ever be again.

You will be able to reduce your chances of PvP by choosing where you travel. That is it.

I understand this is not what early backers here want to hear but there it is.

When you die you will not respawn with any of your stuff. It will all remain where you died.
HOWEVER, death will be far less easy to happen going forward. Right now all ships explode like loot piƱatas and people die with the slightest bit of damage. Ships will change to have parts break off, or systems shut down instead of just running out of hp and exploding. Players will start taking different types of damage (as we are already starting to see with the latest health and healing patch) and will be less likely to just die and instead be in different damaged states.

I say this often but I find myself repeating it none the less: The game you are getting is not at all the game that was pitched in the kickstarter. Anything promised before 2015 is no longer valid.

I am not saying that it should or should not be valid. That is a different discussion. I am simply emphasizing the fact that CIG made changes in 2015 and have stayed on that path since.

Actually it was, Sim. It was flat out said, by Chris, multiple times in those first couple of years, along with a PvP toggle and private servers, so yes, it was ā€œpromisedā€. They got our money with their platitudes and then changed direction, completely. ā€œFrom the maker of Wing Commanderā€, a PvE game.

Death is not going to be less easy, itā€™s going to be more easy. Roving packs of people with LTI cheap ships with no upgrades and base-level gear will suicide gank, then people who are uninvolved and ā€œhappened to be thereā€ will loot your stuff. Itā€™s happening right now, in game, precisely like it did in Eve, in exactly the same way. The people with LTI get a bad rep on throwaway toons.

^^^ Thisā€¦

CR can make the game he wants to make, in an ongoing 9 year history of really bad decisions, re-engineering, complete re-imagining (anyone remember ā€œthere will be no planet landingsā€?), etc. He has our money, and I donā€™t mean to imply he deliberately lied to deceive anyone. SC is not a ā€œscamā€, it will likely launch some day, though not in my lifetime.

But letā€™s be honest here, weā€™re all adults - SC is absolutely nothing like the game many of us originally backed, and is filled with broken promises and features that were ā€œpromisedā€ and then removed with no explanation. The reason Iā€™m not an OB is because I waited, concerned about PvP, and when both CR and TZ openly, blatantly stated it will be possible to 100% avoid PvP and private servers will exist, I backed deeply, as a direct result of those statements. Then they changed their minds. That is fraud, no matter how you slice it, and I stayed, so thatā€™s on me.

Not getting into this again with you mac :wink:

Promised or not, it is gone and is not coming back.
That is my point.

There is no question of IF they will remove it or IF they will implement it. The PVP slider is out. Period.

Understood of course, just didnā€™t like the ā€œthey never said itā€. SC has now become a ā€œfull lootā€ PvP game, more so than Eve. In Eve, when youā€™re destroyed, you lose everything and the enemy can get some of it. In SC, you lose everything and your enemy gets all of it, making it even more invasive and grief-stricken than Eve, which is made more amusing because Eve has added a TON of PvE content, made their game a lot friendlier, are coming down hard on griefers, and trying to increase subs of carebears.

I never thought Iā€™d live to see the day where Eve is a more welcoming game than SC.