Starfield

I feel like Whenever™ is the new Soon™. :smirk:

Well hopefully they stick to this, because I just scheduled my sabbatical around it. We get 4 weeks extra vacation every 4 years, and I’m too old and tired to actually travel, so I tend to schedule it around games. This one is around the currently announced dates for BG3, Robocop, and Starfield :slight_smile:

Theoretically, you could say they’re one and the same. Soon, is easier to say and less disappointing. :smirk:

Yes, but I also feel the video game industry tends towards harder to say and more disappointing lately :smirk:

Perfect example: Ubisoft saying that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is still in development, and this game has been in development for the last 15 years.

Patiently waiting…still

1 Like

Also Dead Island 2, a game that has taken over a decade to finally get released and probably won’t be in much different shape than it would have been had it been released back in 2015 when it was first projected to release.

1 Like

The irony of you saying that, on this forum, is quite amusing :slight_smile:

Pardon my ignorance for I don’t travel too far out of a couple of sections on the forums. Could you enlighten me, please? :slightly_smiling_face:

Apologies, this is the Star Citizen forums, the crowd funded game that is in it’s 56th year of development. It’s currently in Alpha, and has been since before I was born. Talking about games that take a long time to come out in this forum is quite amusing to me :slight_smile:

It’s not your fault. I guess I wasn’t paying attention to which section this post was in. I fully understand now.

1 Like

Who are you kidding? That’s me right now :frowning:

2 Likes

can confirm

:slight_smile:

Oh it’s far worse than when you last saw me…where was that, Germany? Pre-pandemic? The last several years have been rough, I feel 70 and look 90.

Wow, Direct looked really good. We can capture ships, have as many as we wants, mix and match parts between them, build multiple outposts, staff them with multiple NPCs and have them farming/gathering/researching, allowing me to have multiple irons in the fire at the same time. Scan a planet, find things unique to that world, build an outpost to exploit, etc.

And a 5 day head start, so 9/1 is when I get to start playing. That’s practically just around the corner. Steps all over the BG3 launch, which is fine, I’ll play both eventually.

As much as Starfield appeals to me and I am really looking forward to it, I won’t be pre-ordering it or buying it when it comes out. I am gonna wait and see what the release is like. After Redfall, I don’t trust th3em to release in a state that won’t require an assload of modding and/or updates. Trying to stick to my guns about not pre-ordering stuff anymore and waiting on new games while I play through my backlist of stuff. I will admit thought that I will be fighting the urge to get pre-order Starfield let me tell you :smirk:

You’re not wrong to be cautious. I already pre-ordered it, of course. I’m taking my sabbatical to play it for a month so the earlier I start, the better :slight_smile: Will I be sorry? Of course! Will I care? No :slight_smile:

1 Like

Watching it for the 3rd time, picked up on something. The worlds are procedurally generated, then dynamically populated with hand-crafted elements based upon the players movement and the procedural aspects. They openly state that my experience on a world may be different than yours, on the same world. That’s amazing to me on a number of levels.

First, no strategy guides or spoiler sites, because each game is unique.
Second, they’re pulling from a “pool” of these hand-crafted events, which means they can simply add more to that pool in a patch to expand it, increasing the things we can experience. And I’m assuming modders can do the same, which means a virtually limitless pool of these types of events. All the devs have to do is provide the hooks.

That gives the best of procedural and hand-crafted, across 1000s of worlds.

I have not watched the whole reveal about it. And I am really not fooling anyone, especially myself…once I watch that whole thing it will be harder for me to resist pre-ordering and as soon as I have some money to spare I’ll probably end up pre-ordering it because the idea of the game itself appeals to me so much. As much as I want to voice my convictions and sound like I am standing behind them I am pretty sure I will give in for Starfield and pre-order at some point…soon I would imagine :smirk:

Aaaaaand yeah, Starfield pre-order is 20% off on Greenmangaming right now…at least for me it is. Looks like I will end up pre-ordering it this payday. It’s all but decided now :smirk: