Much better than that old crap!

yes! in fact you can continue a conversation that started in a topic, in a PM!

Iā€™m confusedā€¦ was I meant to sign up for a new account on here? I had to as my other login didnā€™t work.

Donā€™t like being a negative nancy and as a IT Manager Iā€™m all about change when itā€™s needed but I donā€™t like this change either honestly. Sorry.

ā€“ Edit.

I did finally see the topic on the old forums of ā€œGame Development to begin migratingā€ and that had instructions on how this was going to work. I think I was expecting a larger announcement somewhere on the old forums (like at the top where the announcements for New poll is up for GotM etc).

I changed the theme from the default black to white has helped my eyes here. Iā€™ll get used to it I guess. old man grumbles Now I know how my users feel when I change stuff and I roll my eyes internally when they complain about change. :grin:

Yes, you have to carry more of the organizational weight than in the past.

A couple things that have helped me, FWIW:

• I went into Preferences > Notifications > Categories and muted almost everything since Iā€™m only interested in a few games and general categories. Itā€™s annoying to set up, but really helps with ā€œnoiseā€.
  • I bookmarked a couple of my favorite categories so I can jump to them directly.

It doesnā€™t look like GD is making much use of tags (yet), but thatā€™s another level of filtering available with some categories and sub-categories. For example, this shows only the posts tagged ā€œinfoā€ in the WoW Alliance subcat:

https://forums.oldtimersguild.com/tags/c/wowa/info

Also, now that Iā€™ve muted most of the channels, I can use Latest as my default view (also configurable in the preferences) without being overwhelmed. The effectiveness of that, though, depends entirely on how often you visit.

Not tryinā€™ to talk you out of your opinion, just give you some tools to ease the pain. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I highly recommend muting. Look at it this way:
Before, you had to add a new area each time you were interested. Now, you have it all and selectively turn it off until you have what you want.

Instead of continually asking for more access to more of the guild, you are getting the whole thing upfront!

The house is open to you. Shut the doors you donā€™t care about. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just visited the old site. Noped out. Here to stay.

2 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

THIS!!! Best comment ever!!!

Maybe even peek in a door or two and meet some new friends.

Exactly, Cef.

This means anyone can post anywhere in any section of the forum that is not locked to staff only?

Yup!!

All for one and one for all! We are ALL OTG together! Sappy, but true!

thanks

Yes, yes they can, as I understand it.

That means that threads such as ā€œraidā€ are open to every member to post on?

If it gets to be an issue then weā€™ll deal with it.

I mean are you discussing Super Spider Man stuff, that would almost likely not be good for a forums, unless NSFForums aka Private Message is probably the best thing.

What about games like Eve Online when you have to worry about spies and such?

I havenā€™t heard this directly from Admins, but I feel sure Private forums will exist where specific game features make it necessary. Which will almost exclusively be PvP games, Iā€™d think. And even there I think a lot of info would remain open to OTG members to better entice new suckers potential members.

EDIT: This was actually responding to Kelryth, not Wont, but Iā€™ve already learned my thing for the week. :slight_smile:

Above where it would normally have topic you see the name of the poster you clicked reply on. If you click the arrow next to it you are giving a choice of Replying as a linked topic, a new message or reply to topic but not to any specific post. :slight_smile:

Careful peeking in Cefā€™s door, no telling what you might see!!