[Closed] PF2 - Gatewalkers (Thursday, 7:30-10:30 EDT), trading off with Grapper, et al

Just got Red Dead Redemption 2 so I can start getting into the mood for this game

Since nobody really bit on my negative healing themed party I’m going to go ahead and throw out my build for that group… it COULD still work but it would be difficult to say the least, so it’s probably a moot point:

This is going to raise some eyebrows but give it a chance to settle in before you auto-veto it based on your pre-concieved biases :slight_smile:

This character (nameless right now) was a dwarf who was killed by someone involved in the plot of the adventure path as part of the greater scheme…whatever that is. He probably wasn’t even important, but Drannvit saw the opportunity to settle a debt (connected behind the scenes for “reasons”) and raised him as a skeleton in his service. Now he is tasked with settling the “debt” which would simultaneously avenge his own wrongful death.

Ancestry: Skeleton (sturdy, adopted ancestry Dwarf)
Deity: Drannvit (LN Dwarven god, The Debt Minder, this comes into play in the backstory, Droskar could work too but the motive behind the creation of the skeleton would be different)
Alignment: LE (yes, last half is TECHNICALLY evil for reasons you will see in a moment, but concentrate on LAWFUL)
Class: Champion, Tyrant (this is why there has to be an evil component because there aren’t any Neutral Champions, and since as a general rule all undead are considered evil it’s not a stretch that a skeleton character would be evil, but Drannvit’s motives nor the motive of the character are inherently evil, this “situation” is just a means to an end. A deal has been struck and at its completion he will be able to rest in peace.) He will be able to heal himself with his negative lay on hands ability, but mostly out of combat.

What is is beyond this is up in the air. But he is basically a heavy armor tanky-boi that does intimidation stuff. Maybe he sprinkles in Marshall or Swashbuckler/Braggart or something like that to lean into the intimidation part. Or maybe go the route of Cleric dedication to get more negative healing options, but that’s a lot of investment for little return. I also had the idea of him not using a normal weapon at all, just a Shield (shield ally) and he would use the shield boss as a weapon to bash things. Of course blade ally and a big weapon isn’t out of the question either.

Like I said, I know it’s unlikely that this character would work with this group but it’s an idea that’s been kicking around in my head for awhile so I wanted to type it out a bit more or less just to give the creativity an outlet so I can maybe move on to something else.

1 Like

I could switch to a Vampiir. Another option is someone makes a Necro and your their pet

found a good free character builder…

Wanderers guide

I’ve been mulling over in my head - dangerous I know - some stuff. But what if we didn’t run Outlaws of Alkenstar? I’ll fill y’all in on the details in person.

Avoiding cross-posting, thinking about doing circular tokens again 'cause of:

So…

I spent a good part of this weekend struggling with the city from that other game world and looking through my back catalogue of apporiate 1E, 2E, and 3.XE source material whilst writing the player’s guide for the upcoming campaign. Of course youtube was up on monitor two and the talking heads were all going on about OGL this and ORC that.

So I have decided to back off on the Curse of the Crimson Throne conversion to that other game world 'cause I’d be using copyrighted and/or trademarked proper nouns for locations, NPCs, deities, etc, and I don’t want to do that. Also, it’s a shit-ton of work.

So…

Option 1: Hell’s Rebels

• :white_check_mark: Pro: One of Paizo’s top ten PF1 APs
  • :white_check_mark: Pro: Have to convert/prep it for the Sunday night group anyway
  • :white_check_mark: Pro: I’ve already done some of the prep for it 'cause of the TPK a group had a year ago when I tried it the first time
    :white_check_mark: Pro: The main antagonist has a really cool motivation that isn’t your typical take-over-the-world or destroy-the-whole-world
  • :negative_squared_cross_mark: Con: One primary story element requires major suspension of disbelief
  • :negative_squared_cross_mark: Con: Story tweaking will need to be done to make certain NPCs less important than the party

Option 2: Curse of the Crimson Throne

• :white_check_mark: Pro: One of Paizo’s top three PF1 APs
  • :white_check_mark: Pro: Seriously, it’s like one of the two best, some people say third best 'cause they like Kingmaker and they’re dumb
    :white_check_mark: Pro: Varied gameplay; dungeons, overland travel, urban exploration, social, etc
    :negative_squared_cross_mark: Con: Character backgrounds specifically tie into the opening “dungeon” and never come up again after that; while flavourful and memorable the backgrounds and this opening dungeon are disconnected from the story of the rest of the campaign
    :negative_squared_cross_mark: Con: The overland travel portion (almost the entire 4th module) feels slightly disconnected from the urban/dungeon stuff that came before
    :negative_squared_cross_mark: Con: The 5th module is essentially one dungeon, could get “same-y”
    :negative_squared_cross_mark: Con: The ultimate big bad evil guy is kinda boring IMHO

Thoughts?

P.S. Of course I’d be running either in PF2 not PF1.

1 Like

Given the pro’s and con’s listed, I would vote for Hell’s Rebels. I think the biggest Pro, at least from my own experience, is the re-usability of any work done. I know that DMing, especially when converting special/unique NPCs and Monsters from PF1 to PF2, can be a lot of work. If it were me, burnout from trying to run two completely different campaigns would be a much higher risk. Rando’s mileage may vary.

Also, it has a very strong “DOWN WITH THE MAN!” vibe that appeals to me, since, you know, that particular “man” is a bad guy. Viva la revolution!

1 Like

Hell’s Rebels look good to me as well.

1 Like

Sold!

I’ll get that player’s guide addendum asap - for PF2 conversions of backgrounds and feats and such.

Updated OP with a link to the PF1 Hell’s Rebels Player’s Guide. All the lore bits are still relevant as is the info on the rebellion tracking system.

Updated OP with link to the Player’s Guide PF2 addendum. I made it like in 2020 and it might be a tad out of date since we’ve had more content (in the form of skill feats), but that’s what I came up with then.

In the 2020 version I had reworked the background traits of PF1 to add some pretty powerful bonuses for PF2, but those have been stripped out; y’all have a free archetype to compensate!

[Edit] Oh yeah, and we’re going to have to have a chat about the rebellion management system thingie.

is it to late to vote for star wars?

1 Like

Alrighty! Given the changes to the potential campaign, and since Rando has re-confirmed the Free Dedication Feats optional rule, I’m leaning more towards playing a Cleric.

Race: Halfling
Background: Fed-Up Citizen (from campaign)
Class: Cleric + Druid Dedication
Worship: Cayden Cailean (Freedom Domain, down with the tyrants!)

I’ll be squishy as all get out, but I’ll be a dedicated healer with a couple of those tasty Primal cantrips.
Plus maybe an animal companion later (riding doggo!).

Edit: Scratched out the Aasimar. No real reason for it other than flavor, and I decided I liked the character better without it.

1 Like

I did not know we were getting a free dedication. that will change my character a little. Here is the basics so far

Race: Skilled Human
Background Street Urchin, though as soon as I see the adventure path backgrounds this may change
Class: Gunslinger + Swashbuckler Dedication

I have to figure out how to get a free dedication on Wanderer’s Guide now

I wasn’t getting notifications on this thread for some reason so I missed out on this last bit. I spent a good portion of today sitting in the rain making various healer characters because nobody else was making one and I didn’t want anyone to feel forced into it… but if Ugly is playing a cleric I might go with a modified version of my Bard/Champion or Fighter/Druid. Or maybe a full caster… Kobold Sorcerer?

The biggest problem with the Fighter/Druid is that he really doesn’t come online until like 4th level and I feel like I’d be sponging off the party until then… but then I FEEL like he would turn into a crit machine.

The Bard Champion is a cool concept I just came up with today and have a few different variations of it. So far I like the Frilled Lizardfolk version the best. It’s mostly a buff/debuff character that is also a high AC damage sponge.

I need to go read that players guide.

1 Like

As soon as… I mean if Atsu dies I’m doing Bard/Champion!

This is what the Lizardfolk version was looking like:

Made some changes to the gunslinger

Race: Skilled Human
Background: Genie-Blessed
Class: Gunslinger + Alchemist Dedication

I’ll be more of a Face person/Skill monkey with some ranged DPS. Though everything is subject to change depending what others make.

1 Like

The character I’m planning on playing will be a face as well, but I get the feeling that this AP will make use of them plenty.

I’m fairly set on a Bard with the Champion dedication.

1 Like

I know Grapper is out and we are doing a learn the new system game this week. I may not make it or could be late. I just found out about a work meeting that starts at 3:30est. Not sure how long it will run and the drive home is about 90 minutes. I’ll try and jump on though soon as I’m back if people are in discord.

1 Like