Swords of Legends Online

It turns out that this is not correct, we were not fully informed. Despite the devs promoting the PvP modes that they had available, it appears that they were not forthcoming in identifying that they do, in fact, have a non-consensual open-world PvP mode (aka PK’ing / griefing) called “Rampage Mode”. :unamused:

This Massively OP article, and the comments, have some information on this “Rampage Mode”: https://massivelyop.com/2021/06/17/swords-of-legends-online-previews-crafting-mechanics-and-elaborates-on-rampage-pvp-flagging/

In other SOLO news, MOP reader Winterskorn tweeted a question about how flagging in the Rampage PvP mode works prompted an official response: Entering Rampage Mode will require players to activate a skill as well as be at max level, but once they have engaged the appropriate skill, they can attack other max level players whether they’re in Rampage Mode or not. That said, those who attack unflagged players will be subject to an undisclosed punishment of some kind if they’re killed.

I refunded my Steam pre-order. I can always change my mind and purchase it again if I decide to, but I’m not amused that it sure looks like the devs were not forthcoming about the non-consensual PvP, whether or not it’s impactful to players’ enjoyment is an individual issue, of course.

It’s not really expected that rampage mode will see much use. There are literally no benefits to using it and you can be bountied for qctivating it from everything I’ve heard thus far. @Trox might have more info on that than I do tho.

Not forthcoming about Rampage Mode??? This is literally taken from the Official SOLO News and Announcement section of their Forums:

" Other PvP Modes

Rampage

Once you and your adversaries have reached the maximum level, you can kill them in Rampage mode! However, your Good Qi will take a hit in this mode, and eventually drop into Evil Qi, where you can come under attack from enemies as well – with or without Rampage status! If you get yourself killed with Evil Qi, you’ll end up in the Realm of Destiny where you’ll find a variety of tasks that will enable you to leave the realm once more."

Located HERE, and was posted on May 17th; prior to CBT1, and a whole month prior to the Massively article.

With that said the chances of people activating Rampage for random PK is going to be very unlikely since you will quickly develop Negative Qi, there is no way to easily clear the Negative Qi, the Town Guards will instantly ganking you if you get close, which limits anything you can do, and when you are killed you are sent to Jail where you have to stay for around 6+ hours of Online time (so no just logging out until penalty goes away. You can move rocks from one side of the zone alllll the way to the other so as to earn some time off, but plan on moving at a snail pace (so no picking up a rock and insta-sprint and jump to the other pile). There is also supposed to be a Bounty System to put a price on their head, but I never trust those since all too often the ganker will just have a buddy kill them and split they split the bounty.

In the end there are just way to many negatives and zero positives to being a ganker to make it worth anyones while. And if you are really that concerned with it all you have to do is never complete the PvP quest line at max level and they can’t touch you; granted you won’t be able to participate in the organized PvP either, so only take that route if you are deadset to never want to PvP.

1 Like

Yes, not forthcoming in the news and promotional materials that I was seeing from the gaming “press”, like the Massively OP article on PvP: https://massivelyop.com/2021/05/20/swords-of-legends-will-have-a-crapton-of-pvp-modes-when-it-launches/

I don’t have a problem disagreeing about the significance of highlighting “non-consensual PvP” when advertising a game’s PvP implementations, IMO it should be of primary importance when advertising your PvP modes in the gaming “press”.

And, I don’t see where “adversaries” in the forum blurb you linked are identified as non-consensual, non-flagged, open world PvE’ers. In fact, the forum blurb on Rampage Mode could be considered as evidence that they were “not forthcoming” about it being an open world PK mode.

Which is why it’s perfectly understandable that a number of people, myself included, were caught by surprise when they tweeted out, in response to confusion, that non-flagged folks could be PK’d/griefed by Rampage Mode. https://twitter.com/PlaySoLOnline/status/1405053031218098176

IMO. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They had that post highlighted on the Forums, and then linked to it via the Official Discord, Twitter, and Facebook pages. It is not their fault you couldn’t be asked to pay a little bit of attention to the OFFICIAL SOURCES OF NEWS ABOUT THE GAME.

And you can seriously sit there and say the fact that you would gain negative Qi and face a harsh penalty for engaging in Rampage Mode wasn’t a tip off that it is a non-consensual PK system? If that was too confusing for you, you could have easily asked on the forums or in the Discord about it and they would have easily cleared it up for you.

I mean what more do you want other them advertising the fact their is a PK System in place that is harshly penalized on all of the Official channels of communication? Should they have personally came to your house, sat you down, gave you a lolli, and explain that the game does have a system in place where bad people may be able to hurt you without your consent?

Hell even the Twitter you linked to the guy was a bit confused about Rampage, and the SOLO account responded by the next day about what Rampage was about, but oyu are right they are not the least bit forth-coming, and was actually trying to hide the fact they were going to release an army of gankers upon the masses, but were caught out by Massively’s through investigative reporting. Those dastardly villians.

If you want to refund because you are against the possibility of being PKed that is fine, no biggie and understandable, but don’t act like they were trying to hide the Rampage system from everyone when they have had it out there for some time now, and have given you a ton of avenues to seek clarification if you weren’t sure. The fault on that is on you; not them.

IMO :slightly_smiling_face:

There was a YouTube video that I watched about a month ago that said there’s no open world PVP. It was the first some of us heard of the game. I think that might be where the confusion started on the PVP. Not the Devs fault a popular Youtuber provided false information.

1 Like

I won’t be buying the game with non consensual PvP - I don’t support game developers that use non PvPers as fodder for the PKers - it might be ok in the beginning, because people are levelling and don’t want to spend 6 earth hours in “prison” for being an asshat… but as soon as they hit max level and get bored, they’ll be ruining my gametime.

Hard pass for me :slight_smile: Just like Archeage and BDO - not my cup o tea.

And I do agree that this topic is always such a bone of contention that straight forward game companies make it blatently obvious what their PvP system is… you don’t have to go searching for it… It sounds like they switched gears late in the development process.

Trox, I’m mystified by your understanding of their initial description of Rampage Mode, and what the definition of adversary is.

I completely don’t agree with your understanding, in fact I’m not the only one mystified that, when they chose to promote and highlight their PvP modes, Rampage Mode was not prominently portrayed as a mode to flag up and non-consensually PK other folks.

The post you are so excited about, lists Rampage Mode at the bottom, and doesn’t describe what it is, a non-consensual PK mode. Perhaps the Western devs didn’t understand it, themselves, and didn’t realize it was a PK mode against non-consensual players, hence the word adversary? (“Once you and your adversaries …”)

I do believe that the post you link to is further evidence that they were not candid about having, as one of their PvP modes, a non-consensual PvP PK mode. That was it, that was the spot and opportunity to describe what the mode is, non-consensual open-world PvP.

What I’ve taken away from your post is that the devs did, indeed, obscure and obfuscate what Rampage Mode actually is. What their intent was in doing so, I do not know. Perhaps they, themselves, did not fully understand what it is so they chose to bury it in a post and not adequately describe that it was a non-consensual PK mode.

The Twitter query, and the official response and reaction from the community should be an indication to you that you are in the minority who immediately understood that Rampage Mode is flagging up for non-consensual PK.

Heck, in fact I posted in this thread that “the open-world PvP is consensual dueling” back in April, which I came back to correct … neither you nor anyone else who might have understood Rampage Mode all these months bothered to correct this thread.

Have a nice day, please try to respond without further inflammatory language, please … it’s okay to disagree. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you follow any of their official channels then you would realize that no you are in the minority on the not understanding what Rampage Mode entailed.

Maybe you don’t deal with open world PvP that much which would explain your confusion some, but for those of us that do Adversary is pretty obviously a fellow player and gaining negative Qi is the same as getting negative karma (going PK), and that when you get killed you go to the penalty box and have to work of the negative karma. I am in an Alliance (guild/clan/ whatever you want to call it) that has well over 100 players in; some of whom are so carebear they are just playing for the housing, and it was obvious to pretty much all of us that Rampage mode was PK mode. The vast majority on the Discord understood what Rampage mode is, and all of the Streamers I been watching that discussed PvP talked about Rampage and what it was about, and I been watching since toward the end of Alpha 1. Hell some of the biggest conversation points in these guys streams was that even though there was a PK system in game the whole jail system is designed to really discourage it. So no I don’t think I am in the minority on my understanding, since you and that Twitter guy are the only ones I meet that seem to be confused by it.

That one article didn’t mention it, but is that on the Devs/Publisher or the person that wrote the article? Do you know for a fact that they didn’t give the author the info on Rampage, but the author chose not to include it instead focusing on the organized PvP systems to meet the article guidelines? Remember most people don’t consider a PK system in with organized PvP, and so that may have been the focus of the article. Rampage has been in the CN/TN since the game released there in 2019 to the best of my knowledge.

Yes maybe my words were inflammatory, but I sick and tired of people trying to act like these devs are trying to hide something that they had posted right there in the open for everyone to see, and that the vast majority of people understood what they were talking about. Just because you and a small minority was confused by the wording doesn’t mean they were trying to be deceitful. I will grant you that maybe they could have been a little clearer in their wording for those that aren’t that versed in an Open World PK system, but then you have to also accept the onus that if something wasn’t quite clear you should have spoken up and asked them about it. Again they have been very quick in addressing questions and concerns when it is addressed to them, but I don’t think they can read minds so if you don’t ask they can’t clarify it.

Yeah that is why I don’t think open world griefing is going to be an issue…you can’t even sneak into town to sell or anything because the vendors won’t talk to you and you will be KoS to guards. Also I believe the deeper into Negative Qi you go you get a Debuff that basically saps health and energy and slows you down. So basically they are “yeah you can PK but you aren’t going to enjoy it.”

A PVPer is able to work around getting into towns if he has an alt. The game has limited player trading and personal storage in addition to an account storage that is shared. This means that all the PVPer has to do is send in his non-PVP alt to town and do his store buying and selling and then transfer the goods to his PVPer alt

Just saw a post on Steam forums that mentioned 3 pk’s (generating about -150 Qi) will net you about 19 hours jailtime

They have a bounty system if someone is silly enough to try to circumvent the PvP penalties.

Yeah and no really getting around the stacking debuff that will eventually all but one shot you. It honestly will be one of those PK systems that people aren’t going to abuse because it just isn’t worth it since even more of your time will be ruined than the couple of people you killed.

We’re super excited to be able to announce the release date for Swords of Legends Online: on 9th of July 2021 , the eagerly anticipated fantasy-action MMORPG will finally open its gates to immortal heroes!

Well crap, by the time I heard about the demo during Steam Next Fest and got it downloaded I was able to play for all of about 2 hours before the demo was over. Hell I spent at least half of that screwing around in the character creator which was dumb because I could have just made something and tried out more of the game. I just couldn’t stand the look of any of the pre-generated male characters and I spent too long fussing over a character look without paying heed to the fact that it was a limited time demo and I was right at the end. So I really didn’t get a chance to check out much of the actual gameplay at all. The game definitely feels Asian developed, not saying that is a good or bad thing there are mechanics and elements that are both hit and miss.

However I am a fan of the ancient mystical Asian themes and the fancy looking martial arts stuff with the gravity and physics defying running up trees and leaping across thin bamboo branches and so on. I also like that it is buy to play and not sub based. I think the sub based thing is played out and sub-based MMO’s continue to require the sub well past when they are worth the sub.

Long story short, I am gonna pre-order this and play it even though I have barely any idea if I will end up liking it. From the sounds of it, it can’t be that bad and the visuals are really wonderful.

But man oh man, I don’t have the best internet and that is gonna one long ass re-download :smirk:…/sigh.

1 Like

Maybe someone can clear this up for me. On the game launcher under settings for SOLO it says something along the lines of “I have no account for this game, please make an account for this game”. How do I do that or do I have to. I pre-ordered straight from the game site and my account does recognize the pre-order. Just wondering if I missed a step someone I want to be ready for that pre-load.

Did you buy the game from Gameforge or from Steam?
I bought my game from Steam and was able to launch directly into the game from the SOLO launcher in Steam. Mind you I also have a Gameforge account from “Kingdom Under Fire” so I don’t know if that has any bearing for SOLO though I don’t recall ever linking the two accounts.
Regardless, it is likely you will receive notification of when the game will be available for retail download. If you don’t see anything before say July 2, check back here as I am sure someone (like me) will post something to the effect that the game download is available etc.

I bought it straight from Gameforge. I’ll just play the wait and hope game for now hehe.

I think that is the message people have been getting with the game servers being down, I believe it happened with me when I first got the game prior to CBT1, and once the server came on and I was able to log in it stopped saying that.