Starfield

Happy to hear they are delaying when it is needed. Guessing MS is more willing to wait.

Thatā€™s too bad, but Iā€™m sure for the best. Something else will be out end of year to eat up my limited free time. Maybe BG3? No to Stalker since the dev are currently fighting off rapey looty Russians.

Iā€™m excited by Starfield. I think that Bethesda would like to avoid the bad launch scenario. And yes, modders and mods!

Man I have to think you also have a backed up Steam backlog of games that are dying for your attentionā€¦just like me :smirk:

2 Likes

What?! Me?! Looking at my library, I have a folder called ā€œNeverPlayedā€ with 45 games in it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking at everybody in this thread, including me. So YEAH YOU! :smirk:

NeverPlayed sounds like one big game of mini games you could play for months.

45? You gotta pump up those numbers!

1 Like

I do. Iā€™m so far backed up Iā€™m currently playing the old Gold Box Dragon Lance games released on Steam recently which I never finished back in 90. One down, two to go.

Starfield might be interesting. We just donā€™t know anything about it yet. Hard for me to get excited about the new GOTM teaser since so many games lately have been just rehashing the same stuff with slightly better graphics.

I remain cautiously optimistic about this one.

It looks bananas. Iā€™m wagering there are ā€œzonesā€. Like thereā€™s an animation where you land, not fully interactive launching and landingā€¦I could be wrong, obviously. But 100s of worlds and we can land on every one of them? NPC crew/companions, fully customizable ship, it looks bloody amazing.

If Todd can pull it off, itā€™ll be what I was wanting SC to be, and Iā€™ll put 1000s of hours into it. If. I love the entire FO and ES series, except for FO76, and thatā€™s an explicit departure from the formula, so if SF follows that old formula, but in space, Iā€™ll love it.

Have they specifically confirmed mods or is it just that mods are assumed because of the comments about skyrim in space?
Last I saw not much at all was confirmed

Oh nothing is confirmed, but that doesnā€™t matter, there will be mods. Whether ā€œofficialā€ or not, theyā€™ll exist, itā€™s a standalone PvE game, people will mod it even if there is no support. W3 has tons of mods and CDPR never fully ā€œallowedā€ it :slight_smile:

I am genuinely hoping that Starfield is fantastic and allows mods, and the PvE SC crowd simply migrates, leaving nothing but pirates and bounty hunters in SC, which may convince CIG to actually put PvE gameplay in to attract them back, which of course means theyā€™ll go back to the drawing board and itā€™ll be 10 more years :stuck_out_tongue: Iā€™m not kidding when I say that, from that trailer alone, Starfield is the game I always wanted SC to be, the game that CR actually promised meā€¦PvE, 100s of systems, 1000s of worlds, I can land anywhere, private server, build a base anywhere I want, NPC crew and companions, exactly like a 21st century Wing Commanderā€¦and then maybe mods, which means it will look and act EXACTLY how I want it to. Add to that Bethesda will add DLCs which will likely be new ship types, planets, factions, companions, etc (if FO/Skyrim is any indicator) and itā€™s likely the last game Iā€™ll play.

Oh, funniest thing Iā€™ve seen in awhileā€¦

ā€œNo Manā€™s Skyrimā€

1 Like

Oh, the gameplay trailer, for those who havenā€™t seen it

1 Like

Fallout Citizen? I will almost certainly pick this up after a Steam Sale and enjoy it and never finish it, just like every other Bethesda game Iā€™ve bought. ā€¦and half the Assassinā€™s Creeds. ā€¦ and Witcher 3.

SO I finally watched the video of gameplay for Starfield.
Going to toss out my likely unpopular opinion here butā€¦looks pretty lame to me.
The only thing that was not utter garbage looking was the modular starship design, but even that looked cheaply done.
I will likely play it, because it will be gamepass freebie, but I doubt I would pay for it based on what I see.

1 Like

I just cancelled my sub. After 91 months, Iā€™ve wavered to the point where Iā€™m done. The SF gameplay trailer was the last nail for me. Bethesda is giving me literally every single thing I want, for the price of 1 game, with the potential for a modding community to give me everything I could possibly want and havenā€™t even thought of yet.

I feel there was a window, 5-6 years ago where, if SC had launched, it would have been revolutionary, but the market is flooded with space games with more and more joining. Indie studios of 12 guys have spun up a company and cranked out games in the time CIG has been working on SC and at this point Iā€™m relatively certain that a) SC can never really launch and b) it wonā€™t be a game I want to play at this point. It looks 10 years old, in a market where games that are 3 years old are being slammed for not looking as nice as UE5.

Iā€™m not leaving, I have $25k into this game and I canā€™t get any of it back. If it actually launches, Iā€™ll give it a shot. Iā€™m open to the possibility Iā€™m wrong, but everything Iā€™m seeing right now, and have seen over the last decade, have made it clear to me that, now that CIG has my money, they no longer want my business, and I need to stop giving it to them. Didnā€™t want to make a thread about it, itā€™s relevant to Starfield because now I know whatā€™s possible and CIG has absolutely no interest in giving it to me.

No seamless travel, as expected. His reason is, honestly, something CR should have done about a lot of features, IMHO. Seamless space-to-planet is ā€œcoolā€, but how many resources did it take to just not have a transition? How many drawing boards did they go back to in order to make this completely cosmetic feature happen, especially when server meshing is already a part of the game.

Personally? I donā€™t care. I plot a landing, thereā€™s an animation, and Iā€™ve landed, is something Iā€™ve always been fine with.

Interesting interview with Uncle Todd: Starfield: Everything New We Learned in IGN's Todd Howard Interview - IGN

Watching that, then back to the gameplay vid, I realized something I was missing in SC that I didnā€™t even notice I was missingā€¦RP elements. SC has absolutely none, my avatar is just me. No levels, perks, skills, talents, anything, itā€™s just a skin. It might as well not even be a skin and just be a pair of VR hands. Thatā€™s one of the few things that was always the way SC was going to be (one of the very few things from 2k12 thatā€™s still true today), and I honestly thought I could be fine with that, but seeing how cool the stuff in Starfield will be, Iā€™m realizing that Iā€™m actually not all that fine with it not having them.

2 Likes

See this is the fundamental difference in SC and SF.
SC was always meant to be more spaeflight sim, and losing something like that would mean a lesser game for me.
And that is also why SF looks meh to me