Kraken

Grats! Got mine too in wave 2.

I enjoy this “wave” solution. It rewards those who backed the highest with a chance at getting the ships they want to buy, allowing those that are most likely to buy a chance. It also fights bots and grey marketeers by making them jump through hoops.

1 Like

I kinda of like process also. I decided to pass on the Kraken. But I did rearrange some of my larger ships. I decided to get rid of the Pioneer. Now that we know about habs coming out to give us our own room and combined with my ship will really be my “house” in most cases, it seemed over kill. I can pick up a land claim at some point if I need a piece of land for resource acclamation. So I used some of that money, my 10% coupon and upgraded my Cat (which I was never going to keep) to the Hammerhead with LTI. I really wanted a true gunboat and the Redeemer never really worked out (yes, they will be remaking it to a smaller gunship), but the Hammerhead is going to be the patrol boat I was really looking for. Now I have a few hundred in credits waiting for something future.

A couple reasons why I passed on the Kraken:

1. There will be several in the org, or with friends.
  2. The shields will not protect anything on the landing pads.
  3. Obviously be non-military components, but the comment on it is paper thin compared to comparable ships (yes it wont be that bad).
  4. It looks very cool and will be a great asset, but I think I can put the money into something better for me later on down the line and still have a great compliment of ships to help out friends and org.

I loved it.
I was able to take my time, decide what to melt and finally pull the trigger on the Kraken. It was so much better than previous F5 debacles.

Those are excellent observations.

I had similar thoughts, but here is why I decided to go ahead with the Kraken:

• It is a mobile base of operations. For me this is a big deal as I traded my Pioneer in for the Kraken. I am not the kind to sit still in a game like this, so having a ship that can be a base that moves about is a win for me.
  • Small (relatively) crew requirements. You only need 10 crew to run this ship. That may sound like a lot at first but if I use it as a mobile base then I can house my NPC crew on this ship and move them off to other ships as needed.
  • it is the pocket carrier I have wanted since the beginning. The Endeavor was my previous base of ops ship for a similar reason, but this is a better solution. And I still have my Endeavor Hope to use as a hospital.

So I had to give up my:

• Pioneer which I may or may not try to get back
  • My Sabre which was a temporary fighter I was holding on to until I needed the melt cash from it
  • My Argo combo pack, which I will get back later
  • My eclipse - this was an upgrade token for the Valkyrie. I still have the Val ccu, but I may or may not decide to stick with the Valkyrie. I like the ship but there are some very odd things about it that I can’t shake.
  • My Cutlass Black original pirate pack. This was the old, old Cutlass LTI pack that came with the skull and crossbones skin and the tractor beam and the docking collar. Well, the tractor beams are standard now, the docking collar is no more and the skin can be bought for 5 bucks from the store. I have a Red and Blue in another package. I probably will buy this back, because I LOVE the Cutlass, but it is low on the list because it is likely the easiest to earn back in game.

Overall I didn’t lose much to pick up the Kraken, the Pioneer being my biggest ticket item to go. And I am ok with that one for now. In time, and if finances allow, I will probably buy it back since it had some nifty extras on it for being a WB concept - but if I lose it I wont lose sleep over it.

Ultimately I did not melt anything that I can’t get back out of hock with a little time and effort. And if the Kraken turns out to be the mini-base in space that I hope it will be, then I will have come out ahead for sure.

Yeah, the Q&A indicating the owner’s ships parked are persistent is what sold me to have this as my nomadic base.

I like the idea of parking this thing in a system or on the dirt with the ability to wander off better than owning a patch of dirt and being tied to it.

I was so close myself and I could’ve done it with a couple more melts. And the points you pointed out were definitely the reason why I was looking at getting it. Specifically as a mobile base with small crew requirement. Its going to be a kick ass ship. No doubt. The main reason I didn’t jump is because I knew others would have it and I am not a big fan of Drake. My style is more MISC and Origin. And yes, style and looks plays a big role into what I buy. Hehehe. I am kind of stockpiling my remaining melts and future cash for a big capital size purchase from a vendor like Misc or Origin. Basically looking at the horizon over the next year or two waiting for a nice beautiful MISC/Origin type of capital ship we may or may not see. Hehehe.

Drac, you can use my pioneer, it’s not like I’ll be non-stop building. We don’t need a ton of them, just a few. You have the mats? You borrow it, slap your base down, then return it full of fuel :slight_smile: Ideally we’re all in the same area so my Pioneer will be on the ground on the same planet you’re building on, making it easier.

My thoughts on your thoughts…

1. Agreed, of course, and we don’t need many.
  2. If your ships are being attacked on the pads, you’re doing it wrong :stuck_out_tongue:
  3. I don’t need military components.
  4. I have the money shrug
1 Like

I still have the option to get a Kraken and am agonising over whether to melt my Polaris, 600i and a couple of other smaller ships. The Polaris always disappointed me a bit over what it can carry ship wise and I’ve never lol oved the 600, but want a big base like ship. Anyone have any thoughts here, is melting the Polaris a bad move?

If I had the opportunity, I would do it.

You can always buy back what you prefer…
But I am happy I got the Kraken and would swap a Polaris for it in a heartbeat

Thanks, I did it! Kraken owner now :slight_smile:

Congrats!

sucker…

:):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, good to see you high rollers carrying the team. If you ever want a buddy and I’m on, feel free to tag me and we’ll play.

Don’t feel bad, I had to get one as well :slight_smile: