I'm Getting Bionic Knees!

It’s been a month so checking on your progress.
Hope all is well.

Not knees, but thought it interesting
boutique prosthetic limbs is now a thing.

1 Like

Now I’ve seen everything. Pretty cool idea, though, actually. Infinitely preferable to people feeling like they have to hide it.

1 Like

Thank you! Things are going well… with some caveats.

My wife had a skiing accident years ago, was laid up for months, and has some metal in her knee so she knows a little about what I am going through.

I started outpatient PT and got frustrated as I felt like I was in more pain and able to move around less than I was before. My wife said that was normal, that you hit a wall at some point and things get harder but you just have to keep at it. Followed her advice (obviously, she’s my wife ha ha) and one day we were at the office and I had to get something across the room and instead of grabbing my cane as usual, I just got up and walked. My wife looked over (we work together) and was like, “OMG where is your cane?” Told her I didn’t need it. I think she teared up a little.

Since then (a few weeks ago) have been walking around our house and office without the cane, just use it for stairs (none in our apartment) or when we go out… and am able to shower mostly normally i.e. standing up instead of using the bench we got during my recovery. Having some pain but manageable, not taking pain meds or even Tylenol regularly any more, just now and then when needed (mostly after PT).

I’ve also lost a lot of weight in the last 6 months and continue to lose to the point my wife says nothing fits me and we have to go clothes shopping. :open_mouth:

All in all, things are going well. It isn’t easy but it’s moving forward. I still have pain and some things are difficult (like putting on/taking off shoes/socks) and every now and then I move my leg in a way it isn’t ready to do yet and I want to scream from the little “pain shock” but that is happening less and less.

Glad I did this as I’ve actually been able to do more things than I could before with my wife and son in terms of mobility (basically anything involving, you know, actually getting off my ass and moving around) and want to do the other knee as soon as possible.

The only thing that bothers me is now and then I get “the creeps” in that I’ll suddenly get very aware that there is something in my body that is not originally part of me. Weirds me out now and then but guess that feeling will go away eventually.

Thanks for asking about my progress and thanks for all the comments/advice in this thread in general. Stay tuned for The Return of I’m Getting Bionic Knees in January 2019 (most likely). :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear all the positive news. Congrats on getting this far with this much success. I’m happy you have your family to help you through it and keep you motivated. What awesome changes you’re making in your life. More power to you.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Of course I’ve jinxed myself with my post. Iced and took Tylenol today but knee is hurting so much I want to gnaw it off! I’ve resisted this impulse… so far. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Oh shit… Quick! Eat more chicken wings!

1 Like

Alternate plan…

1 Like