Games to play - just some ideas?

Hey all,

Was just wondering what games you might suggest that I check out? I started playing MUDs, then moved to UO and Everquest , last seriously played AOC (but that was more of a 1 month grind to 60). I like the ideas of MMOs but I don’t want to play a game that is just a grind and a total time sink.

I really haven’t played alot of games in the last several years. If anything I’ve just played a few things on steam. I played Civilization there.

I think I’m looking for a game to play that is fun and has an active guild. I really haven’t played much PvP but I’m not opposed to playing a PvP but again would really only want to play in those worlds with an active guild.

I think I’m also up for some low key Steam type games - maybe smaller groups of players.

LOL I’m also up for forum hopping and even talk about about tabletop games.

But anyway, the point of this post - was to just get some ideas of games that are out there? Really the last 5-10 years have been very offline - just looking to get back into some games :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some of us play LOTRO on the Gladden server. It is based on the books so if you did not like them then you won’t like the game. The storyline is basically follows the original books but all your activities are off to the side of the group from the books. At least it is something to check out if you enjoyed Everquest.

There is a post in our Discord forum about free content using a special code before Aug 31 so making an account and checking it out is pretty cheap right now.

LOTRO is one of the games I was thinking about. I know that as few years ago they were still actively providing content. I think the game is f2p, but there is a pay version where you can start at ‘x’ level? Are OTG players at all different levels?

Another game with a large OTG presence is Final Fantasy 14. Very large game with so much stuff to do it’s unreal.

It’s a fairly slow paced progress game overall, though, so if you don’t like that, you’re probably not going to enjoy it.

Very involved gathering and crafting systems as well.

Never played any of the final fantasy games, but know a lot of people that have loved them. May have to check that out. I think one of the main things will be guild activity. Will definitely take a look.

It does have a subscription model. Don’t know if that’ll be a problem for you, but if you’re looking for an MMO it’s at least worth checking out indeed. And OTG is pretty big in it.

LOTRO is a s F2P as you want it to be . Make an account and use the free code to get started and play for awhile to see if it fits your needs and play times. You can start that way and then subscribe as you need it later on.

If you want to get in on the ground level in a brand spanking new (well, more like classic…) MMO then New World might also be worth a look. Comes out August 25th.

Thank you for the suggestion, I’m definitely liking the idea of getting in on something at the ground level. Also the posts I am reading seem pretty darn positive. LOL now the only thing is waiting until August 25th, but seriously thats about the perfect amount of time to start getting up to speed on the game.

If you pre-order it now, the early beta period starts July 25th, so that’s only a month away.

More likely to be lots of guildies on a new mmo like New World. We usually start off new games with a bang. Hehe. It’s been a while since weve had a major new mmo. We really need some really good, really new major mmo’s .

As from Discord: “We just hope this one doesn’t really suck.” :smiley:

Woot, got the pre order so now only 30 days!

@Trustee New World looks like it has a healer class in one of the videos I saw.

LOTRO FTP is good up to around level 30, after that you get handcuffed on fast travel. But 30 levels is plenty of fun time for deciding if you like the game. P2P is 14.99/mo, $10/mo for 3 months and 6 month subs or $99 a year which is one of the better annual rate deals in the mmo market.

LOTRO tells your story from the point of view of the main story, so you will interact with all the main characters outside of but in canon with the main story line. Standing Stone Games was formed by the developers who bought the game and continue to develop it. The original level cap was 50, now it is up to 130. The main story has progressed beyond the destruction of the ring and continues with expansions ad infinitum.

Trying the game for free is highly recommended. Expansions and monthly subs are only worth it if you like it.

Something that hasn’t come up yet that also has a large OTG presence is Elder Scrolls Online.

It’s a bit of a mixed bag for most people, but I think it’s well worth a look at least!

It’s currently on sale for 8 bucks (here at least), so that should not really be an issue :slight_smile:

It’s very story heavy, and there’s plenty to do, so you won’t quickly run out of content.

1 Like

Like you, I’ve been playing strategy games like Civilization the past several years. I started playing Elder Scrolls after a long absence last month. It’s worth a look!

Civilization is one of my all-time favorties. Just started playing ESO myself and I’m enjoying it so far. Definitely worth a go. If you like space games at all Stellaris is a great though very complex strategy game. Also SWTOR and STO are free to play and might be worth a go.

1 Like

ESO is currently on sale in the Steam Summersale, it looks like.

I think I am going to try out EOS in the very near future. (first want to get a headset and get discord setup)

Also have preordered New World.

And, ironically this past weekend I d/l Stellaris (although I didn’t get a chance to play)