[Finished] SF - Starfinder Playtest One-Off (Thurs Sept 10th, 8-11 EDT)

Who gets to play the operative? Who’s gonna get stuck with the mystic?

I’m fine playing anything. It’s just a one shot :slight_smile:

I’m not working on the adventure right now. Honest.

I just licked the Android Operative pregen character so is it mine now?

I’ll take your word for it. No need to post pictures… as I am sure Rando would like to keep this thread PG rated… smirk

Mith

So Fantasy Grounds Unity is working pretty well. Very happy with it. I still wish we had the token locking/movement, but otherwise it’s really good, especially now that we have native support for the better menus UI extension.

Starfinder (at level one) seems to play okay. The level of automation with the resolve points, stabilitzation, etc, was nice to see. Combat plays like how I’ve come to expect from a d20esque game in Fantasy Grounds: felt really good.

The anemic little d4 plinky pistols that most of the characters are using is kinda sad. But that’s one of my biggest problems with Starfinder. It’s common practice for 1st level non-“martial” characters to spend their level one feat on long-arm proficiency so they can use a 1d8 rifle at level 1. Really the only class who uses small-arms is operatives.

Anyhoo, jolly good show!

I definitely had fun.

Also, now I know what a skittermander is: https://glasstopgames.com/sfrpg/rules/race/skittermander.html

Edit:

Also sorry @Rando for opening all those doors last night. I was just trying to keep the game moving along. And hey we actually completed 3 whole encounters! So… yay?

I enjoyed last night’s test and now I’m looking forward to some Starfinder action. Now I sort of wish I had not picked Dead Suns as the first AP I want to run, because I think it would be a great one to play. Anyhow, I’m looking at starting my Starfinder game later this year or early next year.

I’m definitely interested in seeing more Starfinder.

My plan is/was what I posted in the Discord VTT chat channel; the three 3-part APs going from level 1 to 20: Against the Aeon Throne, Signal of Screams, and finally The Devastation Ark.

Three separate adventures, short, sweet, and to the point. Before people can get bored with any individual AP story, it’s done and we move on to the next!

When this is going to happen? I have no idea. Probably like @Ryukan said: end of the year or early next year. I want to get the Forgotten Realms PF2 thing well off the ground first.

2 Likes

And after last night I’m thinkin of firing up SWTOR again! But I don’t have time… Resistance is futile! Phew, wrong franchise. I’ve got a bad feeling about this. Dammit, right franchise!

And… there goes the Starfinder campaign.

I think I already know what I want to play in a Starfinder campaign.

Has anyone else ever seen the old ~Roger Corman~ David Cronenberg movie “Scanners”?

Mindbreaker Mystic 18th Level Feat: Explode Head. That’s exactly what I want.

1 Like

Against the Signal Devastation of the Screaming Throne Ark!

Playing a borderline non-combat character in a combat mechanics test has been interesting. I dont expect to hit much, and my dice have not disappointed. But the Envoy does have some skills i am going to try making more use of. Would be interesting to see what they are capable of down the line.

The community seems to like the Envoy. The only criticism to them I’ve seen is that people think they are very front-loaded; they get a lot of their abilities before level 8ish and after that you can switch to another class.

To be honest, I haven’t seen any major criticisms of most of the Starfinder classes. Operatives are considered op. Soldiers are only good at one thing (like fighters from PF1) but they happen to be better than anyone else at that one thing (unlike fighters from PF1). Solarions are a bit MAD at level 1 but eventually it works out. The three casters (technomancer, mystic, witchwarper) will spend a lot of time shooting their gun; there’s no scaling cantrips like PF2.

The three recurring things that keep coming up in negative Starfinder related threads:

• itemization/monetization sucks; a lot of the gear is “useless”; characters (especially in published APs) will never have enough money to keep current with wealth-by-level calculations
  • starship combat sucks for everyone but the pilot and gunner(s)
  • verisimilitude; the default game world is a bit silly and the game mechanics are very “game-y”

Some of that is subjective. The semi-objective one of the game economy being semi-broken can be fixed through a number of means.

Oh yeah, standing up from prone does NOT provoke attacks-of-opportunity in Starfinder.

I sorta disagree on this. Starship combat mainly comes down roll results and choices made by the players and every player can and almost should be involved in this in some role. Pilot has to fly, gunner has to shoot, but other players can handle the engineering aspects as well as other systems like shields, power management and so forth. Maintaining ship systems and handling engineering and damage might not be quite as exciting/fun as piloting and shooting, but in the heat of combat the non-flying/non-shooting things can be just as intense, involving and crucial. In a good starship crew, everybody has a role on the ship and an active role in combat much like the crew of a Star Trek ship.

We on to finish the expedition into Steel Talon’s Lair?

I plan on being there tonight. With my Champion rolls…

Unfortunately, its looking unlikely that I will be able to make it tonight. Got a big deadline coming up so I will probably be working late tonight. :sadpupper: