[Finished] SF - Horizons of the Vast AP (Sundays, 8-11 EDT)

Over all I think I’ve nailed down my character. At the start he is just a Jack of all Trades type, who can handle pilot, Chief mate, Science Officer, or Engineer positions at the minimal required level for a freight runner transport.

I’ll worry about the more specific details once others decide on what they are going for. And what options they take.

He is an Android named Jason Chase.

Are you an Operative? Also, you are missing out on the chance to call him Jason Chasen or Jace Chace.

Nope not an operative, but that’s about all he is willing to share at this point. And his name is his name.

It could have been “It’s A Secret II”

Mith

keep your secrets

Here’s an existential question for androids: why are you called androids and not cyborgs since you have biological components?

Actually, Androids don’t have any organic matter in them unless they happen to be simulating eating. They are Machines that attracted a Soul. Cyborgs can be just about any other organic species that augments themselves with cybernetics implants that replace organic parts. The degree is what determines how much cyborg you are. A simple data jack being installed can mean you are a minor cyborg.

At least that is the difference that I got from reading the rules online at Archive of Nethys as I don’t own any Starfinder rulebooks.

1 Like

That’s a pretty good explanation of it. I was just going on this from the PBH entry on Androids “Due to their
biological components”. So it made me think cyborg. But I have yet to play an Android so I guess I can’t really know until I play an Android and do some existential introspection or something :smirk:

I’m betting we’re gonna have at least two Androids again so I’m not gonna play an Android yet. I’m looking at a Skittermander Operative Ace Pilot who loves flying and food, out to sample as much of the universe’s cuisine as possible. Might go with a different theme like Grifter who loves to cook and fly and get into some smuggling mischief. My other idea is some maybe a Spathinae Operative…when it comes to squeezing into spaces for starship mechanics or sneaking around, I can get really get in there using compression. Or might play some kind of Engineer if no one else is going to play an Engineer. I’m making all three characters in Hero Lab Online so I can pick which one to use and have it ready to go once I see what everybody else is going to play.

@Rando are you getting Alien Archive 4 anytime soon?

Ok, so I’m still fairly rookie when it comes to starfinder classes/archetypes/etc so I’m willing to be flexible with my choice if someone really has a hankering for something specific… A couple that popped out at me was…

An Ysoki Envoy/Outlaw (Scoundrel build) named Niknak perhaps not captain, but more like a “on my terms” kind of sidekick (think Bronn from GOT). Able to hold his own, and out for himself, but willing to aid a group if it suits him (usually financially). Rebelled as a kid, picked up one too many times by the local constables… eventually learned how to avoid them, and that’s when the fun started… Likes to know where the line of acceptability is and then step across it.

Another option was a Lashunta (Damaya) Mystic/space farer (Star Shaman) modeled build. Samedi has a long record of transgressions while working through his adolescent training, Including getting caught cheating on the aptitude test, he was dishonored and ousted from his societal group, and shunned by his family forcing him into a life of solitary pursuit of his knowledge.

I’m open to other ideas as well…

When I think of Bronn from GOT, Ysoki does not come to mind…or vice versa :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh yea? Try me big man and lets see how far that gets ya… :wink: (perhaps there’s a dash of Rocket Racoon sprinkled in there too)

Well I’m likely to be playing a Skittermander so it will be one awkward fight.

Well my general idea is play what you want to play. Don’t worry about rounding out the team. We are a bunch of misfits dumped on a freighter by an uncaring corporation that really just wants us to make money for them.

Part of the fun I imagine in this series of modules will be learning to work and adjust where we go from the start to cover any deficiencies the others don’t have.

That’s one of the reasons until we get physically dumped on the party sheet together and can see each others information, I am not going to mention what Class I took. I’m only going to speak in terms of what I think I can handle job wise on the freighter. I’m not building Jason to be the best at a certain job right from the start, but more to be able to cover several and then after we start I can start to move to being better at one specific job as we progress.

Mith

2 Likes

Nope. Don’t ever intend to either.

I like this…but I also hate it because it makes my character indecision worse now :crazy_face:

Just realize, that I am not saying don’t put together a backstory. Not in the least. I wrote up a half page or so story leading up to a certain point in Jason history. I sent it to Rando already.

The difference in this case is we didn’t sit around in the town tavern/Inn for a few weeks talking to people and getting to know each other to the point when some emergency pops up we already have an idea of who we can trust and guard our back before we rush off to take care of the emergency.

In this case, Some senior VP got a notice that the company had a freighter available. He sent a memo to HR, telling them to put together a crew and get it in service because it isn’t making the company any money sitting in port.

I doubt the Senior VP gave any monetary incentive for the HR person to find a good crew. So he is going to post the jobs out there, winnow through hundreds of applications. Pick 6 people and tell them to show up at the star port at this day and this time and to be ready to clear the planet in X amount of days/hours. None of us are going to have met each other prior to showing up at the ship’s berth.

Imagine Jason Chase shows up with a Piloting for Dummies book tucked under his arm. And a wry grin on his face…

Heck, I would even welcome Rando telling each of us what position we are crewing on the freighter to start with.

So in the player’s guide, all of the sample backgrounds name drop at least one NPC. A few of them mention the brenneri lady Tarika (who’s image appears on the table of contents page - she’s the “otter” with the wrench.) She’ll be your “dispatcher” at the beginning of the adventure path and is friendly to the PCs. She can/will arrange for your group of friends to get on the same ship/job. Assuming any of want to be friends before meeting aboard the ship.

I’m still gonna make four characters in Hero Lab Online and then pick from one of those at Session Genesis, because Session -1 doesn’t sound as cool.

We’ve got a FFoD Player’s Guide module for FG now. It’s got both themes, and all the items and item mods.

Yay, me!

And some potential bad news.

I just installed a whack load of mods for Cyberpunk and am starting a new game…

But I really think it gonna come down to my Skittermander Operative with the Grifter background and Cook profession or Brenneri (sentient otter) Envoy who is gonna be like the moral compass of the group, a bit uptight, a little neurotic and controlling, plenty preachy and touchy.