[Finished] PF2 - Outlaws of Alkenstar (Saturdays, 8-11 EDT)

Goblin Rogue (ranger arch)

Im playing the role-no-one-else-wanted.

I have a dozen character concepts to choose from, I am prepped to play a healer, and that was my 95% claim a month or so ago. but i have variances that provide different levels of healing, as well as options if someone else wants to primary heal.

Iā€™m playing something tanky. Either fighter or the shield magus. I will decide this weekend and work up a character in Foundry to import into @Randoā€™s game.

At this point I am dialed in to play a Fighter, probably with Inventor as free archetype so I can tweak my weapons or more specifically, my armor. Iā€™m going either Orc or Half-Orc, leaning towards half-orc because half-orc has a lvl 1 ancestry feat called Arcane Tattoos which would let me have access to the Shield cantrip to cast at will. Plus access to the orc feats some of which are really handy for melee/tank classes. With Inventor as free archetype I am mainly looking at using that to give heavy armor a tweak and reduce the speed penalty. Interestingly you can reduce armor speed penalties in Starfinder simply through armor mods or even some class abilities, but in Pathfinder there is almost no way to reduce the speed penalty of heavy armor that I know of aside form the Inventor innovation feature.

Good point about the Mithril armor, but Iā€™m looking at a more accessible fix to armor speed penalty; Mithril armor is hard to come by and damn expensive in Pathfinder terms.

Also I am not going to do Inventor as my free archetype Iā€™m going either Magus or more likely Marshal.

@Rando is the free archetype for any archetype or only select archetypes?

Months ago Rando said this:

Soā€¦

New free archetype rules:

if (class = anything)

archetype = pick anything you want (all prerequisites still apply)

^ just like my Abomination Vaults game; though the GM would be happy to have gunslingers, inventors, and alchemists abound

1 Like

^ This.

Currently we have three Paizo APs that run from levels 1-10 (you ding level 11 at the end but do no actual play at level 11):

• Abomination Vaults
  • Outlaws of Alkenstar
  • Quest for the Frozen Flame

We have a single Paizo AP for levels 11-20 in Fist of the Ruby Phoenix.

Next year we are getting Gatewalkers for levels 1-10 and the 11-20 one whose name I canā€™t remember that involves a Harrow Deck.

So my initial plan for my current games was:

• Saturday - Outlaws of Alkenstar ā†’ Fist of the Ruby Phoenix
  • Sunday - Abomination Vaults ā†’ [Unnamed Harrow Deck AP]

The Sunday night crowd is halfway through Abom Vaults and is probably going to finish (way?) before the Harrow Deck AP is available in spring/summer next year. So I pitched to them the idea that after we finish Abom Vaults I take another stab at Hellā€™s Rebels. If they go for that idea - Iā€™m still not sure if they did last night - that means the Harrow Deck AP is ā€œavailableā€.

Why am I talking about this?

Fist of the Ruby Phoenix is dumb. Plain and simple. So after we finish Alkenstar we could do the Harrow Deck AP, but theyā€™re tonally very different. Characters made for Alkenstar are gonna feel weird thrust into this Occult heavy adventure.

So weā€™re gonna have to figure out what to do for levels 11+ again.

Yeah and I couldnā€™t remember if it was any archetype or just one the select few of gunslinger, alchemist and inventor.

Well I am rolling up two characters and then weā€™ll see which one I play; Half-Orc or Orc Fighter w/ Marshal dedication or Shoony Gunslinger w/Inventor archetype. I feel like the former character could be easily worked into the Harrow Deck AP, but the latter might not work out so well. I would also have no problem making a new character for the Harrow Deck AP.

Iā€™ve nixed the Fighter/ Magus archetype idea because Magus Archetype spellstrike can only be recharged as a concentration action over a minute so you could not recharge it in a fight which sucks. Iā€™ve also nixed Fighter w/ Inventor archetype because if you take the armor innovation youā€™re stuck with medium armor and the weapon innovations donā€™t really do anything for me with the Fighter build.

The Fighter w/Marshall gets me an aura that benefits everybody as well as some other abilities I could pick up that helps the group. However, the aura I am getting is based off an Intimidation check so yā€™all ready to see me constantly fail Intimidation checks again? :smirk: :roll_eyes: :unamused:

Edit

nevermind realized you meant the archetype, not class

Also I am totally mistaken about not little to no way to reduce armor speed penalty, there is the Fleet feat that adds +5 to speed.

unburdened iron as dwarf helps me a lot when I get it.

1 Like

As per the Sunday night game thread I just added an add-on for Foundry that is a Hero Lab Online PF2 character importer. I havenā€™t tried it out yet.

I was gonna say meh on that at first only because my character is a half-orc and not a dwarf. But then I looked at it and it is a nice ancestral feat, worth taking Ancestral Paragon for one general feat to get Unburdened Iron instead of getting Fleet. Thanks for the suggestion @Mithinar

cool, ill try it when its up Sat :slight_smile:

ill save my money and stick to spreadsheet hell :smiley:

if it wasnt for having to buy modules for each book etc, then maybe, or if the module was more reasonably priced. I dont need to spend 1/3rd the cost of the book just to be able to make a character for it.

Yeah I broke down and did up some spreadsheets as well.