[Finished] PF2 - Forgotten Realms Heroic Romp (Thurs 8-11 EDT)

So I’m looking at playing the playtest version of the Summoner…you guessed it as a Kobold. Gonna get me a dragon eidolon. So I’ll mostly be caster dps and summoning with some utility. The dragon eidolon will set me as an arcane caster. And lots of breath weapon ohhh yeaaah.

Aaand in true Ocelot fashion :smirk: I have more ides rolling around in my head.

Also looking at maybe actually playtesting Magus because Magus/Monk or Martial Artist is looking kind of interesting. Or just straight up Magus.

But I haven’t tossed out the idea of Kobold Summoner. Or Kobold Cavalier yet either.

An ocelot never lets his prey escape!

Ocelots are sexually mature at two years of age!

It’s still a secret!!!

Character reveal party ----> Oct 1st, 7:59pm

Mith

Sorry, all reveal parties have been canceled due to the risk of forest fires.

Hmmm… Ok so out with the reveal party then. New Plan: Character announcement Oct 1st. 7:59:59. It give me 59 more seconds of Secrecy!!!

Mith

1 Like

Soooo, looks like everyone was having fun the last few weeks- (me Too! :grinning:)

Back to reality (wish I could pull off the independently wealthy thing…)

I read you did some of what’s been up last few weeks, wondering where we are on the forgotten realms - I know we were going to start tonight - are we still??? I am using GingeeBlue my thief for the adventure…

Hope everyone is well.

tks
ChacoBlue

Well We are holding Session 0 on Thursday at our normal time. I believe the first playing session will be on Oct 1st. Giving people plenty of time to swap through a myriad of character ideas (Smirk)

Mith

An ocelot always strikes when you least expect it!

Ocelot’s are listed as Least Concern on the IUCN Red List, and are threatened by habitat destruction, hunting and traffic accidents!

Warning: Noob Art ahead!

Please meet Eonwyn:

She is a one hundred and twenty five year old Star Elf. Although still quite young for an elf, she has long since outlived the human parents who adopted her nearly 80 years ago.

Star Elves are a seldom seen presence in Faerun in general and the Dalelands in particular. She was given up for adoption while still a baby and she has never again seen her biological parents. The adoption of an elf child in such a way by a middle aged human couple with no children of their own would’ve surely been a scandal among polite elven society.

As a youngster, Eonwyn showed promise in the magical arts and indeed her kindly adoptive parents encouraged her to develop her talents so that she could one day help protect their farm from the dangerous monsters and bandits who roamed the edges of Deepingdale. Toward this end, they paid a local hedge wizard to give her lessons. Unfortunately Eonwyn was turned away in short order. “Tainted by the Shadow Weave” he had said. Eonwyn vowed never to practice magic again and cried herself to sleep every night for an entire year.

On her 18th birthday, her parents bought her a book that recounted the deeds of a band of heroes known as the Harpers. The fantastic tales therein gave her enormous relief from the pain she felt as one rejected. Through these heroes she could live vicariously and imagine what wondrous lives they must lead. But she would never dare dream of living such a life herself. Adventure, glory, and adoration. These things were not for her nor would they ever be.

It was not long after that working at a farmers’ market in Highmoon she met a young and very wealthy Moon Elf lord named Triandal. He introduced her to the wonders of a fabulous library called the Leaves of Learning. Eonwyn had never seen so many books in her life nor had she meet such a handsome and kind hearted person who (aside from her adoptive parents) accepted her just as she was. For the next one hundred and seven years, she spent almost every hour of every day with living with Triandal in the library and reading books. This was the happiest time in her life - reading books of all sorts both fiction and nonfiction - and sharing her days with Triandal. During the day one could almost always find them sharing a corner in one of the reading floors - each of them completely absorbed in their own book. Every few hours or so, their eyes would drift up from their respective pages and their gaze would meet with a warm smile before quickly returning to their books.

This time came to a recent and tragic end with the murder of Triandal by some unknown assailants. Needless to say, Eonwyn has been stricken with grief and anger ever since, especially as she was powerless to stop the murderers. Moreover, she no longer has the monetary means to support her life at the library. She did however, manage to pilfer a modest spell book from the library prior to departing (It turned out that the rumors of a magical books collection at the Leaves of Learning were in fact true.) and she has since comitted herself to the art of wizardry as its fair to say that she blames herself for her lover’s death since her parents had always wanted her to learn magic.

In terms of game mechanics, Eonwyn is a 1st level universalist wizard with the ancient elf heritage. She is chaotic good and generally tries to help others but she has little use for following social conventions. For her multiclass dedication, she is a Shadow Bloodline Sorcerer.

An interesting note about Eonwyn is that after spending so many years reading at the library she is able to recall knowledge on many different topics (at least when given time to meditate during her daily preparations). She has the Ancestral Longevity ancestry feat.

In terms of appearance, she has white-blonde hair that gives the illusion of little stars when the shadows fall in just the right way and violet eyes. She frequently wears a lot of black - again she doesn’t care about social conventions - and she has a tattoo on her shoulder that has been with her as long as she can remember. Depending on her mood, or what magic she may be casting at any given time, the tattoo might appear like a flame or an undulating shadow.

Who’s ready to make their characters for The Temple of Elemental Evil today?!?!

1 Like

Does not raise his hand. IT’S STILL A SECRET!!!

Mith

Remember:

• we are using Fantasy Grounds Unity
  • we are not using the implement rules I made
  • the adventure starts in Shadowdale

So with the lack of implement rules does that mean casters are back to being kind of gimped with no way to really boost/increase spell attacks/DC’s?

I would say that the #1 way to boost spell attacks for casters is to cast True Strike prior to casting Acid Arrow (or whatever spell attack roll spell one is casting).

Another way to boost spell damage output is for a caster to use their knowledge checks to figure out monster weaknesses and then use the spell with the right damage type.

For context on @Rando’s decision to nix the implement rule, I am the one who is probably to blame for this. This stemmed from a conversation he and I had a couple of weeks back about Acid Arrow vs a Dex Fighter with longbow.

At the time we were still discussing the results of our very short lived adventure in Kintargo and I pointed out that on any given round, a spellcaster with Acid Arrow, will, on average, greatly exceed the damage output of a ranged fighter. This problem is compounded in an urban environment where one can go back and rest at the inn after nearly every fight, ensuring that a spellcaster almost always has a plentiful supply of acid arrows.

For what its worth though it doesn’t matter to me at all whether implements exist or not. I believe Rando may have hinted that he might reconsider if our ongoing play experience suggested otherwise.

I don’t want to sound like I am complaining or anything like that, I just liked Rando’s implement rules because they made it so casters weren’t quite as gimped feeling.

I chuckle at the mention of True Strike, which I kept on hand for certain characters in D&D 5e like the Eldritch Knight of name one of the few, but in 5e I see True Strike largely regarded as junk and a waste. And given how 5e’s action economy and classification it is junk, unless you have a bonus action to attack or cast a spell it’s mostly worthless as it would be the only action you could take. In Pathfinder, given the way action works, yes you could cast true strike prior to an attack spell, but I see that as more of an artificial method to boost spell attack ability. True Strike does not scale or heighten, so at higher levels it won’t really do squat, the caster will just be rolling twice with the same low base spell attack boost to try and hit some super high armor class. If Acid Arrow hardly ever connects, how many slots is a caster gonna waste on multiple uses of Acid Arrow? I tried using Acid Arrow a couple time in the Entombed With The Pharaohs adventure and it never connected wither time so I ditched it altogether.

Well at any rate I’ve been kind of leaning away from thoughts of playing a caster in the last week or so, unless I playtest Magus. Work has been getting harder as this extra seasonal work I do gets more complicated. I am in the mood to play something more up front and actiony as I have been playing quite a few caster types in PF2 and 5e lately.

Fergot to mention last night…

PF2 has the rune system that lets us easily transfer magical weapon and armor effects and powers between items either via player crafting or through the help of a NPC. This frees up DMs and content creators to itemize however they want and not have to worry about which exotic and fantastical weapons the party happens to prefer.

That being said, there’s going to be a significant (more than one) number of “named” (long)swords in the campaign that can’t have their runes removed or transferred. There’s one “dwarven” adventure; I don’t know yet if that means there’s going to be typical dwarven type weapons (axes, hammers, picks, etc) that are similar (can’t have their runes removed/transferred.)

Since we have both a rogue and a swashbuckler in the party, I could easily change some of those named longswords into rapiers and that would still make sense from a story/lore perspective.

Is there a lore skill one might use to recall knowledge about said named weapons?