[Finished] PF2 - Forgotten Realms Heroic Romp (Thurs 8-11 EDT)

shrugs - if past history holds - in the end i’ll have one spell that gets used once then gets removed and replaced with more heal spells - as far as disease is concerned - typically it can hold for a day - poison - depending on what it is - just heal thru - if it’s enough to kill outright - won’t matter anyway

I suppose we all have our crosses to carry. Mine is wondering why @Rando is Scrooge with spell scrolls but Oprah with the +1 striking rapiers.

Don’t you know? +1 Striking rapiers are all the rage in the Dalelands right now.

1 Like

This the third time you’ve brought up scrolls and a perceived lack thereof. First two times it was kinda funny and maybe cute. Now it’s not.

I get it. You’re class of choice is a wizard who’s class schtick is to learn all the spells but only if presented with a learning opportunity, the most common of which is via a scroll. Twenty-three arcane spells, and one arcane ritual have been found by the party. Scrooge? I don’t think so.

Two striking rapiers in a party that contains a rogue, a swashbuckler, and a magus is Oprah? Whatever.

It was a joke that went poorly. I apologize for that.

No worries.

Updated OP with a link to a PDF of all the notes/journals you found in the first adventure in the unlikely event that any y’all want to read it.

1 Like

and now I cant get the image of rando swimming through a sea of spell scrolls out of my mind.

What will make it even more memorable is you should have us walking around the image with our Heads up looking everywhere but at them. Because I can pretty much say… there may have been a sea of scrolls in this campaign, but we apparently missed a lot of them.

Cackle
Mith

i think i saw several in the party inventory, and there was an entire spell book i believe. So while it may not have been in scroll format it was access to a bunch of spells.

Realistically with the limited number of spell slots Jade has per day I am not sure I ever want to add another spell to what she has access to other than the 2 per level she gets automagically. Between those 4 per spell level and heightened spells I have enough trouble deciding what to have memorized on a given day(I can only cast 3 per day). That being said I have a growing list of spells that I want to be searching for in wand format that would be nice to have for the 1 time per day they might be necessary. Nothing i can’t live without though.

Oh right I forgot the spell books… My attention always wandered since they were not of much interest to Rasinar/Malinar.

I must’ve missed this sea of scrolls everyone is talking about but there hasn’t been any downtime to learn them. Anyway message received. I’m being a whiny little bitch.

Your fine Ocelot. I have a compulsive need to make fun of anything and everything. So when the sea of scrolls image/subject came up I ran with it. It most definitely was not directed at you.

Thanks, I appreciate that, Mith.

Anyway, I realize I am complaining a lot though and I shouldn’t be.

Fact of the matter is that I keep subbing out all of 1st level spells for magic missle. I’ll probably do the same thing with Fireball at 3rd level.

Well, I think what we need to do as a group to help all the casters is pace ourselves a little more. We need to start to allow some normal rest times during our adventures. If you don’t have to keep casting until your at the bottom of your known spells, that frees you up from having to only learn heal or damage spells and give you some room for other options.

Hell, Rasinar is a prime example of needing rest. He has been enfeebled 3 for 2 if not 3 sessions. Which means he is having a harder time to hit. So all he basically was able to do was be a target and hope to soak up damage. He wasn’t going to be able to deal damage unless he rolled a nat 20 most of the time.

Mith

1 Like

I am mostly just looking to learn a couple few new cantrips like Electric Arc and Ray of Frost.

Ocelot, the only sea of scrolls was the one Rando is swimming in, it was imagery not literal.

My only experience with the group so far has been the last few weeks, which seems like it was about a day in game. I dont think we had a meaningful rest during the duration. To some degree for the casters it feels like we were shorted our lvl 4 level increase since there was no time to rest and use our newest toys. But I personally like that aspect of being a caster, determining when is the most opportune time to use spell slots., that being said it does suck for healers to always feel like you are letting down the party if you dont use every slot for a heal. ( Which is why Jade has a wand of Soothe). And it helps that cantrips auto-heighten, this has allowed me to use a lot more cantrips than I have otherwise.

As for down time, If I were to look back I would say our jump into the shadowrealm was when maybe we could have taken a long rest. Though for some reason I think we felt a sense of urgency to finish the job. And at the time I think the party was relatively full when you consider our consumables ( HP/spell slots/daily abilities). So I think perhaps we may have just misjudged our economy. And even then we werent far off on the economy, cause we still won, and non of the party died.

Thanks for the server time Rando. :tada: I think I have my new toys coded right. Next combat should be interesting. I changed a lot of my load out. Will be curious to see if it’s for good or ill.

That makes sense @Findywen.

And I agree we did pretty well with the resources we had and constraints can be the impetus for creative play.

But I also some downtime for learning new spells would be very satisfying, at least for Vani.

To @Mithinar’s point, yes, being able to replenish spell slots via a long rest would also be helpful in maintaining a few more options in combat.

On paper, the universalist wizard is supposed to be, or at least presented as being, the most flexible caster. But I am starting to think this may not be the case.

The arcane spell list has some great blasting spells but also has tons of oddball situational spells that would be great fun in the right circumstances. I count Grease, Obscuring Mist, and Glitterdust (and once upon a time Polymorph) as good examples of this kind of spell.

A think a lot of people think of blasting as the fun part of being a wizard but I actually think an archetypal wizard should be casting crazy oddball stuff.

But with only 3 spell slots per level that must be prepared in advance, it’s hard to justify bringing along stuff like that. The Spell Substitution thesis that Vani has allows her some leeway in memorizing some flavorful spells but it seems they all get converted to blasting anyway as finding the right opportunity for the niche spells early on in the adventuring day is tricky. On a side note, missing the poltergeist with two castings of glitterdust last week was a real drag. That really bummed me out because when we entered the shadow tower I was like “there’s gotta be some invisible monster lurking somewhere around here.” And I specifically held that spell slot in reserve the whole time we were there for that one encounter which I knew had to be coming sooner or later and sure enough it did and I cast the stupid thing twice and it accomplished dick all.

sigh

So all of this is to say that I’m starting to think that I might’ve picked the wrong character class. I think a sorcerer may’ve been a better pick because dangerous sorcery makes them better at blasting which seems to be the only thing that is working for me. Moreover they actually get more spell slots per level and yes they have a small repertoire but they can cast any of those spells at any time without worrying about preparation.

Anyway, I said I would try to whine and complain less so I seem not be sticking to that promise. Sorry about that, y’all.

Your oddball spells and others like them are what have made my list for wands to try to obtain. Stuff that you only cast once a day or once in a while. Knock, mage armor, cozy cabin.

And I feel your pain for trying to cast good spells and having them do practically nothing at all. I think I only had any effect with cantrips. Even that lucky stun was from daze. But that is how casters work for better or worse.

Y’all got more flexibility as casters than I do as the Magus. My spell slots amount to 2 slots for 2 levels and when I gain spell slots of a new caster lvl then I lose old slots. For instance I had 2 level one slots and 2 level two slots and when I gained 2 level 3 slots I lost the 2 level one slots. Also I practically HAVE to take blasting/shooty/damage spells because anything else is basically wasted. I’m only taking Haste as one of my lvl 3 spells because I felt that it was more beneficial to my class than Paralyze. Given that I am relying more on hitting with the sword now and not putting too much stock in the spell cast in the sword going off I think getting an extra action to attack each turn is better for the glass cannon-ness.

Last week after the session Rando and I were chatting briefly and looking at the Eldritch Archer, I just should have gone Eldritch Archer. EA only has to make an attack with the bow and that counts for both the physical attack roll and the spell attack roll…it’s not fair :smirk: