[Finished] PF2 - Forgotten Realms Heroic Romp (Thurs 8-11 EDT)

I will be on, but I’m gonna be half an hour late or maybe a little longer. Start without me and I’ll be on a bit after the start.

So yay, we finished the first module/adventure!

I’ll bring the server up next week at the usual game time so peeps can do character manipulation stuff, but we won’t actually be playing.

I need the one week to prep maps, read shit, and figure out how to properly (if that’s possible) do hexploration. I doubt I’m going to need a second week but anything is possible.

We’ll shoot for resuming on April 1st.

1 Like

I’m planning to take Fireball and Slow for my 3rd level spells in case anybody wants to coordinate spell lists.

Also, an explanation to my team, because it sounded like there was some surprise expressed about Vani not having Dispel Magic.

The way that Dispel Magic works in Pathfinder 2 is, like so many other spells in PF2… disappointing.

Basically, not only do you have to succeed against a spell dc check (or something like that) but the save result is entirely dependent on the level at which you memorized dispel magic. What this means is that in order to have any realistic chance of dispelling a spell cast by a boss (which is 90% of the time when we would actually need that spell) you have to memorize it at your highest spell slot level… which is something I kind of don’t want to do unless I have to.

There are other ways we can counter enemy magic. Counterspell for one which isn’t great either but can at least help action economy. I expect Slow will help us a lot dealing with sustained spells. Also, if there are any buffs that improve will saves for the party those could be super handy as well.

Also, Vani has a clever way of countering enemy counterspells. (If you read her background story you will understand why she can do that.)

PS - Also, this is kind of tangential but way back in 2019 when we played Hellknight Hill, I remember Ralldar completely shutdown the champion with a level 1 charm spell and Anna had to use a level 2 dispel which (barely) managed to bring him back into the fight.

I’m pretty sure we handled both the incapacitation rule and counteracting wrong in that encounter which made that fight a lot harder than it needed to be (and it was already super hard). The spell level should’ve been the level that the spell was memorized at which according to the bestiary is level 1 and not the level of the caster which would’ve been level 7.

1 Like

Don’t look at me, I just stock up on all heal spells to keep ya’ll movin.

And the dispel really depends on what the boss cast - if he cast a level 1 spell, you would have a good chance of dispelling it with a level 1 dispel. If it was a level 4 spell, you would have a slim chance of dispeling it with a level 1 dispel.

That’s a great point. But in those cases incapacitation rules will frequently apply, at least for most of the spells that would be really problematic (Mass fear seems like an exception.)

I’d be open to keeping some dispels on hand at a level below Vani’s highest spell level for stuff like that (although it only works on one target).

Unfortunately, it is in the hands of our GM now to provide a scroll as I already used Vani’s level up spells for other things and I will need her future level up spells for higher level stuff.

good to know, i had considered slow as an option for Jade, but have not solidified her spell choices yet. Out of curiosity, did you have plans for the spells you would take at 6th lvl?

Vani could also teach Jade’s familiar slow. It’s a powerful spell. I’m having difficulty deciding for 6th level.

Clairaudience, Invisibility Sphere, and Safe Passage all seem like nice utility spells to have. I’ve also thought about Haste and Lightning Bolt.

Reminder that this week we’re off. I’ll have the server up at 8:00 on Thursday in case anyone wants to fiddle with their characters, but we won’t be playing.

My 2cp for the 3rd level spell selection chat…

Both Slow and Haste have taken a major hit and aren’t “worth” casting in-my-not-so-humble-opinion until you can heighten them suitably. That being said, I always prefer buff > debuff. Once they’re heightened Haste is an encounter winner, whereas Slow is an encounter helper (maybe).

Beyond that, I think Stinking Cloud is made of pure win. Area denial, targetted concealment, huge range, huge burst, enemy debuffing, and slow like um Slow but lesser duration.

You know what would be even better than Stinking Cloud?

A spell scroll of Stinking Cloud.

I’m contemplating picking up Haste for the Magus, currently the lvl 3 spells I picked are Paralyze and Vampiric Touch, but I’m leaning towards taking Haste over Paralyze. I think I will get more glass cannon out of Haste as opposed to Paralyze. I get a Magus feat called Hastened Assault which is a focus spell that gives me the haste effect, but I don’t get that until lvl 14.

Yep. Can’t heighten the normal Haste until 13th level. Brutal.

I don’t think it’s worth casting until then.

Ehhhhh I think regular Haste will be still be a better use of a spell slot for the Magus than Paralyze.

One problem with stinking cloud is that mobs have to end their turn in the area to be affected.

This is a fine example of Pathfinder devs being just stupid. It’s ridiculous to think that a creature or person could move through a Stinking Cloud just fine, which is the case with the end their turn in it rule. A creature or person could just stroll right through the cloud as long as they made it out the other side. Tell me that is not stupid design. It’s slightly less stupid than the Stinking Cloud design for 5e which states the creature must start it’s turn in the cloud to be affected. It should happen AS SOON AS SOMETHING ENTERS THE CLOUD…or if they start their turn in the cloud or if they end their turn in the cloud. Stinking Cloud is practically worthless as it is written for PF2e.

Anything ya’ll want to see off the divine list other than heals? I have Crisis of Faith and Heroism in mind atm.

I’m kind of on the fence regarding Stinking Cloud vs Slow.

Personally, I prefer Slow. If the enemy fails their save then it does exactly what I want it to do. The problem is that most of the time the enemy I want to cast this on is going to be a boss, which means there’s a really good chance they’re going to make their save or possibly even crit save.

Stinking Cloud would definitely be better against trash mobs but what is to stop them from just moving out of the cloud. Plus you can’t really send in the melee folks into a stinking cloud without them getting pissed off too. I could see this spell being really useful if you’re trying to flush out some ranged mobs from their hiding spot but in that case why not just use fireball instead?

Side note: Grammerly is telling me my tone sounds both formal and informative.

I don’t have a strong opinion. Those seem like good choices!

Wow, Heroism (while still good) took a kick in the nuts too! Obviously (?) the situational benefits of Neutralize Poison and Remove Disease are amazeballs®. Crisis of Faith: flavourful.

Vampiric Touch, Curse of Lost Time, Paralyze and Agonizing Despair are on my Radar for 3rd level spells for Jade. not sure exactly which ones will make it at lvl 5 vs lvl 6, but i think all 4 of those will make it into her repertoire. Slow was another option though i downgraded it under the premise that Vani would have it available. So that might make it back onto my list if Vani goes a different route.