[Finished] PF2 - Big Troubles in Little Otari Extravaganza (Sundays, 8-11 EDT)

Me when reading the new vampire archetype:

Weā€™re ā€œcloseā€ to level 2. Plan accordingly.

Whenever you think of @Rando, picture this from now on :smirk:

Rando is am throbbing justice

1 Like

Im not sureā€¦ the action figure is better lookingā€¦

LOL! :laughing:

This is slightly off topic, but since this thread has been pretty quiet, I figured ā€œwhy not?ā€.

I bought Sandy Petersenā€™s Cthulhu Mythos for Pathfinder 2e pdf earlier today - I feel bad I missed it yesterday. Somehow the fact that yesterday was Friday the 13th went right over my head. I donā€™t know if I have any intent to actually play it but it was more out of curiosity and a source of inspiration for that homebrew campaign that I will eventually writeā€¦ someday.

Thereā€™s a lot of really fascinating content in the book and its really well written. Kind of funny this is coming out at the same time Iā€™ve just been seeing videos of Source of Madness on the PC. I guess I have a thing for slightly gloomy, phantasmagorical settings/art.

There are some really interesting ancestries and archetypes that could be adapted to other campaigns. In particular, the Dreamlands Cat ancestry stands out to me. Iā€™m more of a dog person these days than a cat person, but I do have a soft spot for the furry little miscreants. It turns out that in the Dreamlands, cats are intelligent and that is why they sleep so much in the real world because in the dreamlands they are fully intelligent beings.

Funnily enough, thereā€™s an archetype (that is ancestry locked to the Dreamlands Cat) that allows you to play as the familiar for another PC and it comes complete with a very cat-appropriate class feat called ā€œWho is the master?ā€

Anywho, this very large volume (the pdf version weighs in at 577 pages with full color illustrations throughout) raises a question in mind. Namely, if PF2e is declining and Paizo really is in trouble as several of YouTubeā€™s talking heads keep saying, then why on earth would anyone take the time to produce this? Regardless, Iā€™m glad they did. Its a cool product with a ton of interesting, flavorful, and (I believe) fun options (for both players and GMs).

In the Lovecraft story The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath the cats of Ulthar are featured and help out the protagonist who in turn helps out the cats later. Thereā€™s another shorter Lovecraft story called The Cats of Ulthar specifically about the backstory of the cats of Ulthar. In the dreamworld the cats are able to traverse dreamspace and rescue the protagonist from the moon at one point.

Nice. I havenā€™t read those before. My only experience with the Dreamlands has been Brian Lumleyā€™s Dreamlands books, which I really enjoyed. Will check out those stories you mentioned, @Ryukan !

Not connected to Cthulhu, but I think I remember a Stephen King movie or something like that about a mother and son who were actually monsters moving into a town and only the cats knew they were monsters. There was a local sheriff with a cat named Clovis. For some reason that name has stuck with me.

Iā€™ve never Cthulhuā€™d - I donā€™t think Call Girl of Cthulhu counts.

I guess this would the gateway through which one could run Strange Aeons in 2E?

Why did we opt out of Strange Aeons? If I remember there was some decent interest in it.

Player interest, yesā€¦GM interestā€¦no. :smirk:

I remember that movie, Sleepwalkers it is called.

The mom and son were some kind of were-cat like shapeshifting beings. I remember their monster form looked a cross between a cat and big cat and and gargoyle

In the very first encounter - which is supposed to set the tone and instill a sense of fear and otherworldliness to the setting - the players canā€™t actually harm the NPC(s) that are chasing them through a theatre-of-the-mind ever-changing strange and unsettling landscape. Instead the GM is supposed to kill them essentially one by one.

Two or three or so encounters later the party has an encounter where the GM is supposed to take control of individual PCs and make their actions for them including possibly attacking other party members.

Both of these are big no-noā€™s in GMing 101. I am not experienced or adept enough as a GM to pull either of those off without players getting butt-hurt.

Also, in a later module the party ends up in Paris. As in Paris, Franceā€¦ Earth. Some peeps expressed disinterest in real world setting jumps like that when I talked about the module/AP that sends the party to Tsarist Russia and the party fights Rasputin.

I wouldnā€™t have been bothered by this stuff.

OK, I donā€™t recall the Paris thing being mentioned, but ok I gotta agree that sound really stupidā€¦

Canā€™t sleep.

Iā€™ve also been thinking hard on trying out Syrinscape.

Itā€™d unfortunately be yet-another-piece-of-software to run alongside Discord and Fantasy Grounds.

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking of using Syrinscape and Talespire or of the other 3d ā€œdungeonā€ mappers for my next campaign. I want to try and start stepping things up for a more visual experience to better immerse the players.

@Rando when we were doing our long rest last night I decided to remove hand of the apprentice in exchange for Counterspell at 1st level and Cantrip Expansion for the 2nd level feat (previously I had HotA in 1st level as my bonus feat and Counterspell for my 2nd level feat).

The reason is that I decided that not being able to cast a 1st level focus spell that may or may not hit sucks a lot less than not having the right damage type cantrip on hand.

I didnā€™t mention it last night because there was a lot of important Q&A going on and youā€™d previously expressed a fairly liberal policy on character retraining. Anyway let me know if you want me to change it back.

On a side note, I thought it was pretty cool that the Morlocks we fought had light blindness. So thereā€™s an actual reason why you might want to bring a torch or a light spell even if everyone has darkvision.

We had a major update to Fantasy Grounds Unity on Tuesday(?) so make sure you update before joining otherwise you wonā€™t umā€¦ be able to join!

(body too similar to the identical post in the Starfinder thread hence this addendum explaining that)

Hey guys. Sorry for the late notice, but we double schedules a graduation dinner for my daughter tonight. Wonā€™t make the session :cry: