[Finished] PF2 - Big Troubles in Little Otari Extravaganza (Sundays, 8-11 EDT)

Well @Quixote last night I got assigned control of Zircon. He is still alive and well (at full HP the last I checked) but boy he had a rough night.

Actually the entire party had a rough night with dice rolls.

I’m kind of puzzled about the Monk’s action economy. The single action flurry leaves two other actions for use. If they are attacks then they will both be at -8 which is slightly better than crit fishing but not by much. Maneuvers like Trip/Shove/Grapple are all possibilities but also suffer MAP.

I suppose Zircon could move into melee, flurry, and move out of melee but that would kind of leave Glendon and/or Mortimer holding the bag if they are already in melee.

I can’t remember what Zircon had for his 2nd level feat. If it is Stunning Fist then that would’ve been pretty handy even though I think I only hit once the whole night. We were all rather unlucky with the dice last night.

My opinion of this AP so far: It is uniformly ok.

Occultism was advertised as a key skill in the Player’s Guide but I haven’t found much use for it or Arcana outside of identifying items (although identifying items is always fun!).

Fighting bosses is rough as a wizard. It feels like I’m not really contributing much to those fights but I believe that’s by design and last night had more than the usual share of bosses.

Kind of rethinking a Bard again. Would be nice if we were hitting more often and Inspire Courage is good at doing that.

I did some reading on martial classes and apparently, at least for monk and fighter, the classes don’t really come “online” until like 6th level or so and therefore that third action is just going to feel a bit underwhelming until you get some feats that can better exploit it.

Still questioning my decision to go with wizard. Started thinking about sorcerer builds again.

Glad this weekend will be a long weekend.

Thanks for the recap @ocelot,

Yea, that third action is a total crit fish, and the monk isn’t a bounce in, bounce out, bounce around kind of class like the swashbuckler. With the monk’s constitution, he does provide at least a decent off-tank option to spread the attack rolls and help provide some flanking. To be fair, getting a 4th action every round it quite the gift. I’m thinking one strategy is clearly a DPS kind of approach (Move/attack, attack, attack, attack). The other thought is to go for a grab/trip and then whacky whacky to try and debuff the target. I’d be sacrificing my DPS with hopes that the rest of the group will have better chances to hit, or improved chances to avoid taking damage.

As for 2nd feat, I think I did take Stunning Fist, but haven’t fully figured out how to set it up, and I think at higher levels the monk could be VERY impressive, but it’ll take some time to get there.

1 Like

Important rules clarification for the situation that came up last night:

She’ll be driving six white horses when she comes

Not “riding”. So the Rough Rider feat does not apply.

P.S. Apparently “she” will also be wearing red pajamas when she comes. The song traditionally also asks the (rhetorical?) question, “… why is she wearing red pajamas?” as one of it’s lines.

So I’ve got Foundry and The Abomination Vaults (super-?)module for it and went and installed all of the extra add-on modules that this guy suggested.

My very rudimentary knowledge of Foundry suggest that yes one can use the web-based demo version to connect to a game for free but I don’t know how well that will actually work come play time. So that’ll probably mean everyone will need to purchase. It’s currently on sale for USD $40.00 for the next day or so and then will return to it’s regular price of USD $50.00.

I don’t know if the clients have to download and install the same modules as the server/host but if they do need to it’s pretty easy. There’s a built in add-on modules and ruleset browser/installer that automagically grabs the packages from github/wherever and installs them in the right spot.

So I’ll be mucking around with this today and see how it goes.

@Binasii and I just picked up Foundry as well. So after we finish up her personal story stuff in GW2 we will be playing around with it some too.

Initial reactions.

Yes the default automation is less than that of Fantasy Grounds. But not behind by much. But the ooh-aah factor of the music/sounds/lighting/spell-effects is fucking awesome!!!

When I played some Starfinder Society games in Foundry as a free player, I saw no issues with the browser setup for free players. In fact it seemed less laggy than Fantasy Grounds.

Players do not need to have all the modules and stuff installed that the DM has. The web version runs off a browser much like Roll20. All the players need is the free demo version.

But is she coming around the mountain or what?

I already bought a copy of foundry so I’m good.

Is stamina what you liked from starfinder?

it looks like it is a variant rule for pathfinder 2e and is in the options for the game settings in foundry.

Purchased :+1:

Yep.

Well damn, I just messed with it and it all seems to “work” in Foundry. There was never a module/extension for it in Fantasy Grounds for it mainly I surmise 'cause it would mean changing UI elements like the combat tracker and character sheets to keep track of stamina and/or resolve points. Foundry apparently does this (at least on the character sheet).

We can give it a go; I’ve always wanted to try it. It’ll mean less reliance on the post-combat heal dance and the party will probably have more… um… stamina and will be able to do more encounters per day.

The rules for it in PF2E are here.

P.S. This would make bards even better than they already are now.

P.P.S. In Starfinder, resolve points take the place of hero points (for stabilization purposes) and focus points beyond having their ability to regain stamina back with a 10 minute rest. Here in PF2 it’s just another pool to keep track off (that Foundry handles, yay) but PF2 characters get a lot fewer resolves points that Starfinder characters.

Well, shoot.

Now that everyone has Foundry do y’all want to give a try next Sunday? It’ll make the game a lot slower 'cause we’re all learning the new UX and stuff, but it looks (and SOUNDS) fucking cool!!!

I think we would be ok with it.

I hate cool!

Just kidding, count me in!

How would the stamina optional rule make Bards better? (Oh must be the Rally action) They are definitely great and I’ve been thinking about making one again but I was under the impression that Intelligence was more valuable than Charisma for this AP.

I reckon a longer adventuring day would slightly shift the meta in favor of focus spells.

totes-magotes-yes

So, @Rando, are you thinking of hosting this personally, or are you thinking about opting for a hosted solution?

I’m not finding much about how to do character creation and such, has anyone found anything? Most of the tutorials I’ve found are for development and GM’ing… not much user oriented content.

1 Like

Rando is trying to figure out how to integrate a boob slider into the creation process…