Fallout 76 (For PC, through Bethesda)

Trustee and other members of Shadow Group will be playing the game - on pc server. Looking forward to it.

Pre ordered PC version. Can’t wait!

Pre ordered today, and looking forward to it!

I watched the devs speak during a play through and the way you will be able to play with others is by becoming friends. When you log in, you will be placed “closer” to your friends on your list. So, in a sense, if players in OTG want to play together, we need to start a player name list here and create your friends list. Even though there won’t be any guilds in game, we could do like we used to in olden days, and thats preface our player names with OTG. For instance, I will be OTG_Renanton . Very easy then to visibly see guildies.

2 Likes

I’m really on the fence about this game. On the one hand, I love the Fallout world, and survival/building games are my bread and butter. On the other… everything else.

For instance, PvP not being strictly just for people who want PvP, but involving people like me who never want PvP in any way is frustrating. I know it’s fairly easy to avoid, and they do less damage and take a penalty after they kill me. But it’s like Bethesda hasn’t noticed that for some people, griefing IS the game.

So they lose caps/stuff for killing me. That doesn’t really help me the player after I’m killed, and it may not deter people who enjoy griefing. It’s just a really flawed and frustrating system. Not to mention that if they attack me and I accidentally hit back, I’m fair game. So people will attack just to try and get others to slip up and auto-attack, but not follow through 'til death. It’s elevating griefing to a new level, since all I have to do is accidentally press the wrong thing at the wrong time, and I’m auto-flagged as ‘okay’ to kill.

Also, at launch there aren’t private servers where I can just play with friends, which is also frustrating, plus not being able to just start with my friends instead of starting ‘closer’ to them feels like a really poor decision. Plus, it’s $60, which is a hefty chunk of change for me. I normally play cheaper games and indie games for the most part, or wait a few years until it’s gone way down in price.

Does anyone know what their monetization is going to be like once it really goes live? If it’s still $60 after being fully live, I really hope there aren’t microtransactions of any sort. Anyone know if I’m missing out on anything by not pre-ordering standard edition, other than B.E.T.A. access? It’s a little weird, to me anyway, that the $60 base game, if pre-ordered, doesn’t seem to offer anything ‘special’?

Anyway, yeah… I’m super on the fence with this one! I seem to flip-flop every day on if I think I’m going to buy it. Holy jeez do I love the Fallout universe & survival & crafting & playing with friends… but there’s all that other stuff. Oy!

1 Like

There will be microtransactions, but they will be limited to cosmetic items only. They want to maintain this game for a long time, so they need to keep a revenue stream coming in.

You can wait to see what happens with PvP.

Just an FYI on PvP. At level 5 PvP is available, but you can instantly bring up your options and flag yourself as a pacifist.
This means you can’t accidentally hit the wrong button because with pacifist enabled;
the only thing you might do is scare someone that accidentally shot you because you can’t hurt them.

2 Likes

I’ll be playing on PC, but not sure if I’ll preorder or not. I’m really looking forward to it, but things are a bit busy for me until after Thanksgiving. Definitely excited for the possibility of private servers and modding!

I decided to give it a try and pre-ordered for PC. I’m hoping the PVP/Pacifist works as I interpreted. I’m not into much PVP though I might be tempted to snipe a red flagged murderer should I stumble upon one.

2 Likes

I’m fine with cosmetic-only microtransactions, yeah. Even in a $60 game, depending on how it’s handled. :slight_smile:

And thanks for the info about not being able to accidentally hit someone, or at least probably not being able to, anyway. :slight_smile:

Like others have said, there will be cosmetic microtransactions to help with continuing to support the game’s development.

I think something important to note (when it comes to the price) is that expansions are supposed to be free for everyone. They said they don’t want to split the community between who has what expansion when people want to play together. For me, this really makes the buy-to-play price worth it.

Private servers will come eventually. According to the latest official stuff I heard about it, we shouldn’t expect them until about a year after release.

1 Like

I am currently playing ESO and loving it.

However I have been a huge Fallout fan since the fitst title.

If we get a firm way to log in with other OTG players, I will also buy FO76 and see you all in the mountians.

My understanding is they have to be on your friends list to guarantee you’ll wind up on the same server.

There is a low limit on the number of people who can be on the same server, so there is not a guarantee that you will be on a server with your friends. The soft cap is 24 players on the map. I suspect they will allow a small number above that when friends join the server, but there will probably be a hard cap.

They have not talked about guilds yet. I suspect it is not in yet. I think they will put them in. I am wondering if they will call them factions. When private servers come out, I would not be surprised if guild only servers were a thing.

Hi Where did you see the info on Bethesda Friends list, sorry cant find anything.

So maybe everyone would have to add the Bethesda name here to be added over there and cross fingers???

Can I join friends?
Yes, you can see which of your friends are online, and just join them.

1 Like

Hey Jinx, I also love the Fallout 'verse and I really like co-op/multiplayer games so I’m all in on this one. I understand the concern about griefing, but it seems like Bethesda is well aware this could turn off players and has done a bunch to try to ameliorate this. You can “block” everybody on the server who is not your buddy and your blip will not show up on their map, and the map is LARGE ( four times the size of Fallout 4).

In order to insure you don’t accidentally attack another player and trigger pvp all you have to do is set the “pacifist” flag (it’s on automatically up to level 5). There are no mobs that look like human player chars.

With that flag set, all another player can do to you is “slapping damage.” They are still tuning this I imagine but it is going to be “light, it’s almost inconsequential” damage. Unless you are afk for a long time, this cannot kill you.

You can also fast travel for free to anybody in your party, to your C.A.M.P., or the vault 76. So, to review, you are invisible on a huge map with a couple dozen other players and might play for hours and never encounter one, but if you do, and s/he’s a wannabe griefer, they cannot kill you outright, and you can fast travel away to a number of locations if you wish to. That’s a little grief but that’s not getting murdered over and over and losing a bunch of loot or progression. Frankly, I think it might be fun to fast travel back to my OTG pals and return to see if the bully still wants to fight. :^)

Even if you did die, in Fallout 76, death isn’t supposed to be a super negative thing; you don’t lose your progression, you don’t lose all your stuff, somebody can’t kill you and then take everything in your inventory or make you start over. I’m sure there will be some griefers who look for the loopholes, and I suspect Bethesda will continue to tune the game to make sure there is “danger but not grief”…

Warmly,

TEEM

2 Likes

I have not a clue how we otg members will find each other in F76 but I will be in the beta tomorrow but as I play via a boot camp partition of windows 10 I can’t spare resources to also run discord I was thinking I would try to add OTG at the end of my game name like WindyOTG. But I guess it will be a bit more clear after tomorrow evenings beta session.
Cheers
Windy
well after a bit more reading we will find each other by our gamer tags and for Bethesda I am Windy99

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fallout 76 Friends - Who and How

Hi @Windy, Do you know ifwe get to set out gamer tag in the game, or is it our Bethesda.net account name?

TEEM