DND 5e *ICEWIND DALE: Rime of the Frost Maiden* pre-game interest thread (March 2023) *POLL CLOSED*

Thanks! Well it does look like Menzoberranzan is about the closest, although still a ways off. I found another surface map that showed the city as being located just Northwest of Silverymoon so that would be a bit of a hike, but apparently not without precedent. Now I just need a semi-plausible reason to be slumming it in the Ten Towns!

PS - Time to finally read The Crystal Shard!!

OOOF! Iā€™m sore tempted to make the Crystal Shard trilogy by RA Salvator required reading for this game, but I wonā€™t. But if you havenā€™t read at least the Crystal Shard then you should, if not the other two books in the series.

I will be updating soon I am just behind this week sorry all. Just a lot going on in personal life at the moment so I have to deal with that.

I will touch base on things like homebrew rules and race/class restrictions this weekend.

Is that where this adventure takes place? I just re-read those last year. Guess we will need to pack warm clothes.

I think i read that years ago, like in the late 2000ā€™s. a friend picked up the dark elf trilogy, and I think i borrowed this trilogy from him after finishing the other.

Been a long time since I read these as well. Not sure how much my old brain will remember.

canā€™t wait for sign up sheets for the specific sessions, i want to start building 5 or 6 characters to choose from LOL

That wonā€™t take long @Findywen so you may as well make one for each class, hehe. 5th edition first level characters only take a few minutes to roll up. Of course you could also come up with some very involved backstories for each? :slight_smile:

yeah, I rarely just think about the first level. I could easily see myself theory crafting the first 7 levels of a character. I probably wont go full munchkin/optimization mode, but depending on what role I play I could see a level or 5 dipped into another class.

If you start now you could probably double the amount of characters to build! :smirk:

Of course, Iā€™m guilty of this very kind of thing as well hehe.

The thing with 5e characters vs. PF2e characters is that there is a lot less hands on/manual crafting after lvl 1 for 5e characters so they are really easy to theory craft compared to PF2e. Essentially just figure out feats or ASIā€™s and maybe spells. I have whole Excel files dedicated to theory crafting PF2e characters.

Bear with me everyone Iā€™m gonna get those signup threads posted soon here, just dealing with a buncha of crap right now. My mom is having breast cancer issues and I just cracked two of my teeth so things are distracting me and then some.

Sorry to hear about your mom (and your teethā€¦ouch!)! No worries about the game stuff.

didnt intend to rush you, was just idle chat.

Take your time with your mom, and your teeth, by all means.

Nobodies rushing me, just want to keep you all on the up and up and reassure yā€™all that it will be happening soonā€¦and not the soon that game companies refer to when delaying a game three times :smirk:

I feel like I may need help with my build. I have idea where to start.

I have a concept, a name, a backstory and a work in progress portrait but no build!

Thatā€™s the hard part. Just apply that work to any class :wink:

1 Like

you got the hard stuff done, Once you know who else you will be playing with based on sign up nights see what the group needs to full it out, and then play that role assuming it fits the rest of your pre-work.

I have some art that my daughter did for another character that I didnā€™t get a chance to use. So I will probably use that to inform my race and gender then come up with the rest of the stuff around that. Unless I come up with a concept that I really want to follow, there were are couple characters I made for a one shot last year that might be fun to play, like the pixie drunken master monk.

Kind of reminds me of Puck from Berserk!

So my character is a Drow named Xani Valdree of House Valdree of Menzoberranzan. I was going to make her as a Shadar Kai but as I started drawing her it became clear that she wanted to be a Drow instead.

I know that sheā€™s going to be some kind of light armor wearing, sneaky, ambushy type of character. I noticed thereā€™s this Ranger archetype called ā€œGloomstalkerā€ At third level they get increased dark vision and invisibility while in the dark to enemies who use darkvision to seeā€¦ that seems kind of ridiculously OP for this campaign. I like it!

I think we are doing great on time. Take the time you need to deal with real life - I hope all goes well with your Mom. I am excited about all this. I donā€™t really know anything about icewind dale, but it sounds like darkvision will be useful from the comments above. I was thinking about playing an Aarakokra Circle of Stars healing druid because they have dark vision. She would be coming from the Star Mounts. As a druid what ever is going on with all that cold and dark feels unnatural. Perhaps her ā€œtribeā€ saw something in the stars and sent her to investigate. I am looking forward to this.

I have heard mixed things about Icewind Dale but Iā€™m sure it will be good in the DM hands of @Ryukan :smiley:

That being said, you guys dodged a bullet. My group went through Avernus and what a damn nightmare of a campaign. Even more so for the DM running it! :scream:

Checking back in? Any updates? If not NP just dont want to miss out for Tuesday/Thursday group. Thanks. Been waiting years for a group and the stars have finally aligned. So excited.