Would you consider your self a PC enthusiast?

I would consider my one and I was just wondering how many fellow (PC) enthusiasts were in the guild? I thought it would be a great way for me to get to know some of you.

For the record I am not into these pissing contest some people get into about “my computer is better then yours” and all that nonsense if you want to share your specks with fellow OTG members that is fine, but its your own choice.

1 Like

I try to keep up with various hardware and benchmarks as I have an on-going wish-list for the ‘next build.’ :slight_smile:

There is always a wish list and always the “next build” trust me on that :smile:

Well, I always build my own machines and I’m frequently trouble shooting for relatives. I don’t see them as bragging material though, they’re just tools :slight_smile:

I am a huge pc and gaming enthusiast, I work for Jetway, a Taiwanese industrial motherboard manufacturer. I have worked in the PC industry at Acer and other computer distributors my whole career, I eat, sleep and breathe computers…

I built custom PCs for friends all the time, from budget $700 computers to $2500 top of the line builds. I don’t do custom water cooling loops but use both air and AIO liquid cooling solutions.

My latest home task was making a Synology DS1517 NAS with 22TB and using PLEX for all my media storage and playback.

I build gaming PCs for the most part. Lately, the ones I have been building have been liquid cooling solutions using custom loops, radiators and pumps. I would prefer to use AIO liquid cooling solutions; however, no one seems to make a sophisticated AIO solution for a single-slot, fully jacketed, graphics card like the EVGA Hydro Copper series.

After my Amiga 500 monitor died back in 1995 I switched to PC due to the replacement cost of a new monitor. Lived through the DOS boot discs. Remember when the new “voice” stuff came separately in an “add on” Box? Since joining OTG I’ve relied on suggestions, recommendations, and the like. Due to my fellow OTG members I can say, now, I have built two PCs from the ground up. The first was scary as hell. Then second less scary just a little confusing when it came to rigging up the buttons and lights in the front (of the PC) bundle of jumpers you slide things on or leave off.

CHeers - Tom

After starting with an Atari 2600 and being an electronics kid, I was always opening up things. I modded my C64 … I started building PCs when I was 16. I never really had much need for consoles … unless I was using a MagicGameDoctor or modding that too. Building PCs has always been a thing for me, and I don’t al3ways need to be the PC MASTER RACE builder either, I’m content with quality, mid-market offereings that can handle decent, modern games. I hate how consoles lock you in to their stuff on their schedule, locking you out of classic games (much like Windows 10 seems to try to do too). :slight_smile:

Things are definitely much easier with PlugAndPlay, no IRQs to play with, no QEMM to toy around tweaking, no jumpers, everything is “Select here to Overclock” :slight_smile:

Its nice to see that so many of you share the same “hobby” as I do :slight_smile:

Here is my current newegg wish list ongoing PC config for my next PC.

1. I am waiting for the Intel Z390 chipset to be released before buying next PC

2. Planning to wait for Intel 9xxxx series Coffee Lake Refresh CPU

3. Want to wait for next NVIDIA 1170? graphics gen in “1070” or “1070 TI” price range, $500-$600 range at most

Product Description Qty. Total Price

Fractal Design Define R6 Black Brushed Aluminum/Steel ATX Silent Modular Tempered Glass Window Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: 11-352-078 1 $109.99

Fractal Design Connect D1 FD-ACC-CON-D1-M1 Elegant Front I/O Upgrade Solution for Define R6
Item #: 11-994-063 1 $19.99

Fractal Design Flex VRC-25 PCIE x16 Extender and Vertical GPU Riser Card Adapter - Black
Item #: 12-598-001 1 $39.99

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: 13-119-035 1 $159.26

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 1070 TI ARMOR 8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Item #: 14-137-261 1 $479.99

Seasonic PRIME Ultra 850W 80+ Platinum Power Supply, Full Modular, 135mm FDB Fan w/Hybrid Fan Control, ATX12V & EPS12V, Power On Self Tester, 12 yr Warranty, SSR-850PD (V2)
Item #: 17-151-209 1 $173.32

Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I58600K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630
Item #: 19-117-825 1 $244.99

SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 2-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7P512BW
Item #: 20-147-693 1 $229.99

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMK32GX4M2L3200C16
Item #: 20-236-315 1 $349.99

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - OEM
Item #: 32-588-491 1 $142.99

be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Air Cooler, 250W TDP, Convenient Top Mounting, 6-Pole Fan Motor, FDB Bearing, 6 Heatpipes, Silent Wings135mm PWM Fan
Item #: 9SIA68V6YA3005 1 $89.90

Total $2,040.40

I would definitely consider myself a PC enthusiast. I rebuild my computer on a fairly regular basis (actually just rebuilt it last week). Usually I have a custom water cooling loop, but at the moment I am running an AIO until I can get a new water block for my 1080ti and some new radiators.

I am not a massive overclocked though, I do a modest stable overclock that doesn’t throw temps to high, but I am not the type to spend days tweaking every setting just to get that extra .1 ghz. I love that motherboard manufactures are making simple overclocks easier though the defaults throw a scary amount of voltage at it.

@vanster

The things you have sitting in your wish list looks a lot my current PC :grin:

The only real major difference that is even worth pointing out is that I have the Meshify C – Dark TG which I would suggest you look in to unless you need the R6 for a specific reason. Its not a huge case but there is so much room in-there its unreal .

Here is a link if you want to have a look at it http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/meshify/meshify-c

I built my current machine on April 26, 2015, when my previous machine would not satisfactorily run Grand Theft Auto Online.

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
Asus Z97-AR ATX Motherboard
Corsair 8GB (2x4) DDR3 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Solid State Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Video Card
Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Samsung DVD/CD Writer
Windows 10 (64-bit)

1 Like

I used to build a new game machine every other year, and the old game machine became either a Hackintosh/family server or a router/firewall. I slowed down after Haswell… May be time to build a new machine this fall. Flight sims (xplane11 for realism and scenery, M$ FSX for IFR, FlightGear when I feel like playing with flight model programming) are the only thing I do that ever stresses the HW.

Current 3 machines are i4770k on z87/97 boards, 1060 GPU, Corsair water or Noctua air coolers… I lost the lottery on those i4770k’s, and only one would OC 5% with reasonable voltage and stability.

Nope, not a PC enthusiast – they’re just tools! yeah, right. :wink: I have a whole basement full of parts… sigh.

I prefer building with year-old higher-end parts. Saves a lot of money. so I can build more often! hmmm, not sure the math works after all.