Witcher Netflix series

no spoilers, but awesome series, just finished it and can’t wait for next season.

2 Likes

They announced that there will be a next season too… I have only watched the first episode, but will continue

1 Like

Yea…me too. I’m actually re-watching them so that I can pickup what I missed the first go around.

1 Like

Not a spoiler, just some advice if its your first time watching it. The story is not told linearly. Some later episodes happen before earlier episodes. In fact, some episodes with an A and B story have the two stories set in different times. And they give no overt hints to what time is being shown. So if you’re confused, that’s probably why. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yea…I figured that out the first time I ran into something I thought I had already watched, except something was different …I did not read the books nor did I ever play the game so this series is very intriguing to me. I rather love the character development involved with the story telling.

1 Like

Books are the exact same way. They jump around and very little indication as to what is past, present, etc… Great books but tough read.

1 Like

They seem to be mostly linear, just different timelines, just like in Westworld season 1. That is until the Geralt timeline finally catches up to the Ciri timline. By the time Geralt catches up with Ciri he is like 90 to 100 years old, same with Yennefer basically, so that does tend to mess with your head when trying to figure out when stuff is happening if you’re going on appearance.

1 Like

I loved this show so much. Might need to replay the games now (and finally pick up 3).

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat: enjoyed the first season and waiting on the second. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And, thought I read somewhere they have also green lit season 3!

3 Likes

I certainly hope so WhisperOTG, I hope so. I so want to see the story line of Geralt from when he was a boy and how he becomes a Whitcher.

1 Like

I really liked it but… the jumping around in-time with no reference to that happening really spoiled the continuity for me. You literally had to wait until something looked out of sync time wise and then you’d say “oh… I get it, they time-warped again… ok I’m good for now… until…:crazy_face:

3/5 stars as edited and it would have been 5/5 stars if you could actually follow what was going on without taking notes… in my opinion I didn’t see any story telling value / reason for the time-warped story sequencing and editing without any context as to why they jumped…

That being said I still liked it… :slightly_smiling_face: :wink:

1 Like

Yeah. There’s ways to handle time skipping like that in a way that helps the audience keep up. Christopher Nolan is excellent at that. He’s done it three times now to great effect. Memento, Inception, and Dunkirk. Dunkirk being the best, I think.

Although, sometimes obscuring the fact there are multiple timelines can also really make a show pop out and beg you to rewatch it again to find out what you missed the first (or second) time around. Like Westworld’s revelations at the end of both Seasons 1 and 2.

Ooooh, or there’s another option. Where the time skips don’t detract at all, ala Pulp Fiction. Though when you unravel the timeline there are hidden gems to find. Like early in the film Vincent is complaining to Jules that someone keyed his car. Then, later in the film Vincent and Jules go into Marsellus’ club and give Butch crap for taking money to throw a fight. That scene, later in the movie, happens prior to the conversation earlier in the movie. Butch is the one who keyed Vincent’s car outside of Marsellus’ club. :slight_smile:

Wait, I got sidetracked. Sorry! All of that was to say that I really like when writers play with time when telling a story, and when done well it can really add a lot to the story. But when done poorly, it pulls down an otherwise decent enough story.

1 Like

I read online somewhere that the following is how to best think about it:

1. Geralt is OLD, like really old. He has his own timeline and always will.

2. Yennefer is another timeline to tell her story.

3. Ciri is the 3rd and main storyline. Her timeline is THE timeline and when she is on screen think present----->future. When all the storylines and timelines converge with her (near the end of season 1), its now now (to borrow a Spaceballs reference).

2 Likes

I just started watching this series as well since a friend was crazy about the game.

1 Like

I’m trying to give the show a chance and watch it, but it jumps around so much and all i want to watch is Henry Cavill’s brilliant betrayal of Geralt.

The strange thing is initially I hated that it was Henry Cavill cause all i saw him as was Superman, but once I read about his journey of trying to get the part and how much of a super-nerd he is, and then his actual performance, I was like: “holy crap… he actually plays a REALLY good Geralt”

So now me really hurdle with the show is just the narrative acrobats being performed, it’s hard to follow sometimes so it feels like I’d benefit from repeat viewings.

It’s also made me reinstall Witcher 3 on Steam again.

Yea…the jumping around was a bit odd when I first watched the show, but once I realized there were several different timelines mixed in, I relaxed and enjoyed each chapter as it came up. Sort of like reading a book of short stories where each chapter was its own little mini story that was related to the story the book was telling using each chapter to capture different segments that made up the whole.

I’ll be re-watching for sure now that I understand its oddities. Looking forward to seeing things in each chapter I missed the first time around.

2 Likes

I really appreciate the humor of the series. The scene with Yennefer helping the couple with their “dysfunctional” issue had me rolling on the floor.

1 Like

series is hard to follow for me, never read the books. I guess I will rewatch and get a better sense of it. The unannounced flashbacks messed me up.

I found a very interesting article that actually provides some guide to The Witcher story time line. I’ve been hard pressed to actually decipher the time lines with anything in the actual chapters so this was very helpful. I found out I was not too far off my own understanding but this outline definitely helps.

I won’t post any text here, but you will find the article listed on this link.

1 Like