Wheel Of Time Amazon series

Anyone else as excited as I am about Amazon doing the Wheel of Time series? Already have Rosamund Pike cast for Moiraine. Filming begins in Sept in the Czech Republic. Uta Briezwietz (?) will be directing the first two episodes. She did some of the Stranger things and Westworld episodes. Really excited!

Iā€™m confused more than anything. Supposedly Moiraine is the ā€œlead roleā€ of the series, but she was absent for about 3/4 of all of the books. So ā€¦ I just donā€™t get that.

I try to reserve my excitement until the time at which the series is released. I would not want to get pumped up over something that never makes it off the cutting room floor.

It is about time they did Jordan. I still remember back in the days where there were newsgroups, and the SF/Fantasy newsgroup had to make a separate one just for all of the Jordan fans, because there was nonstop talk about it.

It took me 2 attempts to finish Wheel of Time. I really enjoyed about the first 5 books, then Jordan went into his point of view explosion. You would read 100 pages of different views before you would once again return to the one you cared about. I think Jordan performed an invaluable service to SF/Fantasy writers by showing just what happens when you have too many points of view. Jordan died, Sanderson finished it up, and I completed the series. It was strange because in the interrum I went through Eriksonā€™s Malazan, which was even worse than Jordan with points of views, and coming back to Jordan seemed like cake after that. At some point with Malazan I just treated it like poetry and let it wash over me and not really get too concerned about remembering who was who. His cast of characters list was a big help though.

I am expecting Briezwietz to maybe give a little more depth to the female characters in the work than Jordan did. That world though was amazing, and I think there is a deep and rich playground to tap into. My hope is perhaps Game of Thrones may motivate the directors and producers to do a proper job of epic fantasy, rather than the pulp like movie trash we suffered through in the 1970s.

Still waiting on someone to do Zelasnyā€™s Amber.

I just hope they leave out the middle set of books. Thatā€™s when I quit reading, because it all got incredibly boring and pointless :frowning:

Try some old syfy;

2 Likes

It was almost exactly the same for me, I think I made it to Book 6 years ago and gave up on it. Finally finished reading the whole series in a marathon last year.

1 Like

I expect Moiraine to be the main character probably for the first season and maybe into the second. After that I cannot see how they can have anyone as the ā€œmainā€ character unless its Rand. Just like in GoT, several people had main story lines. I havenā€™t finished the series yet. Iā€™m on book 10 and really enjoying it.

1 Like

It took me 3 attempts to get started, an army friend loaned me the first book, then a college friend loaned me the first book, both times I gave it back after falling asleep before I made it through the first chapter. I wasnā€™t sleepy when I started reading, I just found it that boring. Then my brother loaned me the first book, I wasnā€™t going to read it just hang on to if for a bit and give it back, but I was unemployed at the time and having trouble sleeping so I started reading. At first it worked great, lay down in bed about 9 or 10 read maybe half a chapter and wake up between 6 and 7 the next morning. Then I got to where they were leaving Baerlon and it stopped working as I was then staying up til 3 and 4 in the morning saying ā€˜just one more chapterā€™.

I also am trying to hold off on getting excited about this until I see if they are going to try to remain true to the story or if they are going to try to tell it their own way similar to what the writers did with Legend of the Seeker, I didnā€™t even watch the entirety of the second season of that series.

1 Like

Iā€™m still having fits about how Shannara was treated. But I have a feeling Amazon is going to put more into WoT. They definitely have the money. If anyone wants updates on the Casting and Locations. Check out the Daily Trolloc website.

1 Like

I do not know how many people have failed to read LOTR because of the pacing of Fellowship as well.

1 Like

I just could not get into this Wheel of Time series. Unfortunately, too much going on all over the place lost my interest. I am more into great character development driving the story which makes perfect sense to me. But to have a story drive the characters just seems like someone threw out a bunch of pick-up sticks and you had to sift through them to find the arcs.

Yeah, the book where the main character of that whole book (as in the most paragraphs of any character) just died at the end for no reason whatsoever was when I quit reading.

The character didnā€™t ā€˜progressā€™ anything, didnā€™t cause any lasting ripples, it was just the most followed and talked about character in that book, and then he died. It left me with a huge feeling of ā€˜whatā€™s the point anymore?ā€™.

I just now realized this is being made by Red Eagle Entertainment and I am lowering my expectations considerably. This company has had some very sketchy history regarding a WoT TV show and I have little faith in REE at all. Red Eagle Entertainment has held the rights to WoT TV series for over a decade now. They did nothing with the rights until they were set to lose the rights due to expiration 4 years ago or so. Then they made a ā€œpilotā€ for a nonexistent WoT show that wasnā€™t even in production at the time just so they could keep the rights and not let anybody else have a crack at it. The ā€œpilotā€ was a turd, 20 minutes long and Billy Zane was cast as The Betrayer. I hope it is not indicative of what they are actually making.

Oh and Robert Jordanā€™s wife sued Red Eagle Enterainment over this ā€œpilotā€ because they did it without consulting or informing her at all.

Here ya go, lament the awfulness and pray that if this show doesnā€™t end up getting canned before it comes out that it is not as crap as thisā€¦

I saw this video also and thought the same thing. I still hold out hope that between Amazon and Sony that they are going to put some heavy money in the budget. They start filming in Sept in Prague
so iā€™m hopeful.

OMGā€¦that intro sounds exactly like they are tooting Lord of the Rings. ugh.

Just an FYI, this pilot has nothing to do with the Wheel of Time series coming out next year on Amazon Prime. The pilot Billy Zane was done years ago.

This was in TORs latest newsletterā€¦interesting casting updates.

https://www.tor.com/2019/08/19/leigh-butler-on-the-wheel-of-time-television-casting-news/

And they have Rosamund Pike from ā€œGone Girlā€ playing Moiraine. I think that will be a good choice.

1 Like