What kind of node do we want to build OTG Land in?

I was thinking the same thing; because of past experience (BDO looking at you). You pretty much need the same amount of officers for each guild as you do one, and trying to get enough volunteers to fill all officer positions for one guild is difficult enough. Only reason why it worked in BDO is because with 400 people playing the admins were able to find enough people silly enough to volunteer, and even then the guilds tend to run more short staffed than not.

Honestly I can’t think of any perks that isn’t short of game breaking to justify the logistical nightmare that having many small guilds would end up entailing.

Officers in the smaller stat guilds get special officer augments?

hello
the node should be loacated in an area that accomodates all play types. This would help that widest range of players. The more the marrier.

Being a gatherer I like the node that allows you to teleport giving me quicker turnaround for crafters. Race matters little to me. Thanks . :smile:

1 Like

At the moment we’re somewhat stuck on this topic. Parts 1 and 2 describing and defining the Node system have been released but we’re still waiting for Part 3 that gives details on buffs and bonuses for types. It’s all too vague at the moment but there’s Pros and Cons to each type.

Example: I wouldn’t want to live in a Military Zone, but I’d want one to be not too far away to go do Bounty Quests sometimes.

First impression is that we’d want our town in a Commercial Zone so we have an Auction House there. Nothing worse than having to travel to reach an AH for stuff (as a crafter) IMHO.

This is a very interesting thread!

It sounds like we will get a good solid look at the Node system during Alpha 1 Phase 2. This is planned to be the “beginning of the second quarter of 2019” - Nodes will be fully functional and progress to level 3.

At this stage access will only be granted to Alpha One Backers.

My personal preference is a non-Military node as I’m much more interested in crafting and exploration in Ashes… and I’m pretty rubbish at PvP… :grinning:

Fun times ahead!!

1 Like

I’m not going to speculate on our ability to have a node, or even really be the “lead” guild of a node. That said, I think having a solid reputation as players and as an overall community will give us the ability to “live” in a node type and location of our choosing as the world develops.

One thing that continues to catch my attention with this game is it can have a lot more politics involved, possibly even progressing to the level of EVE Online. I specifically bring up politics because I think it is going to be a much more serious component than most of our games, and that includes taking a lot more time from leadership to handle it.

However, that can actually be in our benefit. If larger guilds full of people who play 16 hours a day want to take on the larger burdens of world politics and node development, it could let us be a combination of both more laid back and more specialized in having fun. With the normal reputation OTG has there will be a lot of larger guilds desiring our presence in their node. We could provide benefits from crafting to bounty collection to protecting caravans and such (a means to go get some PvP on), without being the ones actually responsible for organizing and leading everything a node requires.

I am by no means proposing we don’t try and build our own node. All I’m suggesting is that the game world will develop fairly rapidly with large guilds leading that charge. I expect at some point we will have to make a decision to settle for a node that will never be a great one (out of the way, can’t max, not useful enough to be a target for conquering); be part of a multi-guild ran node (Waterdeep, council of merchants, etc.); or live in a top node ran by some larger guild that wants us in their territory. In all these cases (not be attacked, valued as a partner, trusted) our reputation will be our most valuable asset to bring to the negotiating table.

AoC is giving me so many EVE Online flashbacks in anticipation for what I see coming. Definitely fun times ahead!

1 Like

I’ve seen a lot about this game, and I’m interested… but the whole node/pvp situation gives me nightmares. The idea of building something wonderful and then seeing it destroyed by others… so much inspiration, coupled with so much dread. I just don’t know what to think about it.
Also the Idea of Politics? I can’t see OTG being involved in any type of node wide or inter-node politics. We’d have to throw our “No Drama” status out the window. I could definitely see us as a small part of a multi-guild alliance in a node somewhere. I agree that would probably be the best for us. We could definitely capitalize on a “Friendly, Trustworthy folks” type of situation that OTG likes to foster. We can try to group some housing together in the outer areas where you can build different crafting and professional stuff on your plot of land. Like an OTG Village outside of the eventual metropolis. (This would still allow some of us to be ambitious and grab a few of the early plots to sell later on for cash :slight_smile: )
I definitely don’t want to see chapter leaders in a position where it feels more like a job than a game. I actually ran into that a little bit on SIMS Online. You had to be logged in and watching over your house if you wanted to be a well known place where people come and work on raising skills. It could get exhausting for some of our folks, not good in a game at all.

1 Like

Looks like we’ll get a change to try out the node system around April this year - I’ll be in there then for sure and hoping to join some of you folks so we can meander about and suss this thing out^^

We’re still kicking that around. :wink: About the only thing we’re sure of is that we don’t want a PvP-centric node.

No matter where we set up, we will be leveling our town with many other players/groups. The way the node system works, each time it levels up, it controls a larger part of the map. Like some have said, this game is going to be very dynamic in regards to towns being built and then destroyed to mix things up and open new content. All being in one area as far as housing has a nice ring, and if we did, we may be in a better position to defend it if our town loses a siege. I am an alpha 1 player and will be able to see how it feels ahead of launch. So excited!

I’m heavily considering buying in when I can afford it. That said I tend to want to explore and gather. Commerce (or Science depending how teleport is implemented (may cost to do so, etc) ps- sorry if this is necro thread posting.

I’m still keeping an eye on this game and still convinced it’s going to be great. The Devs seem to be genuine and driven by creativity/passion. And the community of players also seem to be very “non-toxic” so that bodes well.

Looks like we’re still in for quite a wait before we can get in and play, but I’m happy for them to take their time and get it right…

Long time lurker first time poster =)

I am looking forward to some PvP but plan on crafting during the day. Just waiting for Discord access but I have my access and plan to upgrade to get into Alpha soon.

I am a crafter / explorer too. My success in Ashes will depend on how intense the pvp is out in the general world. I just discovered Elder Scrolls Online and adore the fact that players are 100% safe from other players when they are exploring the open world. I am not interested in constantly watching my back when I am picking wild herbs from the landscape. I may need to stay in ESO… oh well!

On the node question, I would like to be by the sea.

Another thing I think we’ll need to figure out in regards to housing is do we all want to live in one node or do we spread out to a few different nodes around the world? I can see advantages and disadvantages both ways.

If we choose to all live in one node we’ll most likely be the dominant guild in the node. We’ll have easy access to grouping together and it will strongly discourage others from trying to gank our members. On the downside we wont have easy access to all the materials needed for crafting since not all nodes will have all types of gathering mats.

I’m thinking maybe a 50/50 split between two parts of the world might not be a bad plan. Depending on how fast we gather materials for caravan trading maybe like once a week send a caravan from one base to the other and try to organize guild events around the time the caravans arrive. This way we could split the guild for easy access to most crafting mats but still be able to do 40 man raids and such with those who live on the other side of the world.

I think we’ll need to get deep into Beta before we can answer that question. We need to be able to keep whatever areas we invest our time in so it may make more sense to just concentrate on one area and trade for whatever else we need.

Personally, I think we’d be better off having as strong a position as possible in one spot that others don’t find highly desirable. :slight_smile: That way we can be sure to grow our node into a decent city and not get overrun. Remember, other’s nodes near yours can grow large enough to overwhelm and absorb yours. So the farther from the main trade routes we are, probably the better.

1 Like

This thread revamps as of 5 days ago from May 2019.

Is there a heavy influence with OTG for this game? I’ve heard the possible release set end of this year? Does this seem to be possible?

Appears to be a great game and quite technical. I like the owner’s vision as one craving old school type MMO activity - very much! However, as with Star Citizen… sometimes the lingering aspect of taking too long to release, leaves developers wanting to revamp due to new-er graphics potential, etc thus, drags on and on and on.

Seems like it should be a great game.

Q: Do I need to buy at least the, “Wayfarer Pre-Order Package” to enter BETA or is there another method w/o pre-order. I paid for Star Citizen I think when my first child was born (Humor though you get the idea) and that leaves a bad taste for suckering into that again. What options are there to enter BETA?

Thanks

Do we have any way to get a rough estimate as to how many OTG’ers plan to play this when it launches? (100? 200?) I dont know what rough amount is when OTG joins a new MMO each time - but it is info that would help make this decision a little easier.

What’s more important, I think, is how many players will be around in a month after launch. The curve falls way off if the past is any indication.

2 Likes