What I Learned about PF2 This Week

In no particular order.

1. (Most) flying creatures have to spend at least one action (on their turn) on the Fly action or they fall out of the sky.
    1b) creatures/objects fall 500’ in one round

2. If a spell scroll has a spell that is Common and appears on the spell list of the tradition of a character, that character can spend a single action to Recall Knowledge to automatically succeed at identifying that spell scroll.

3. The Escape action has the attack trait, so it increases Multiple Attack Penalty and in turn is affected by MAP as well.

4. If a character with the Wounded condition is healed to full hit points and then spends 10 minutes resting, they lose the Wounded condition.

1 Like
  1. That is definitely PF2 levels of BS…actually have to spend an action to keep flying…sheesh.
    1b) one round= 60 seconds…would it take someone a whole minute to actually fall 500’?
  2. Escaping is considered an attack action? That is just more PF2 levels of BS :roll_eyes:
  3. Almost as easy as healinig up in DnD 5e…almost :smirk:

One round = 6 seconds. Also, you get 3 actions each round. Using one action to flap your wings (or activate whatever flying magic you have) isn’t BS.

If you have been grabbed, then you should probably reflect on the decisions that have brought you to that moment. (I say this as a spell caster player who walked into a gelatinous cube) The game has to have consequences otherwise there’s no danger and then defeating a monster or completing a quest ceases to be rewarding or meaningful.

Also, PCs can and do grab NPCs so it works to the players’ advantage too.

1 Like

Ooof I’m not usually that bad at maths. And I’m still calling BS on having to spend an action just to stay aloft…that feels waaaay too nitpicky.

Also still not gonna agree with ya on Escape either…it’s like the exact opposite of attacking.

Things that count toward MAP are labeled as an attack for ease. But it’s just a label for the amount of physical energy you are exherting. And breaking someone’s grapple should take as much work as an attack, especially since those grapple checks to grab you in the first place also add to MAP as I recall.

Yup, unless you’re a gelatinous cube and a PC walks right into you :see_no_evil:

Have to say now that I’ve grown accustomed to PF2 I am enjoying it a lot more. Things were pretty rough for a while though back during the early levels of @Rando ‘s forgotten realms campaign.

I would say that my Gartner hype cycle status is currently in the plateau .

I get your point, but I am just not a fan of Paizo’s decision making in this case. I wrestled in high school and trained some jiu-jistu later in life and I was able to slither/weasel out of many a grapple with nary an attack attempted. But I’m not a big fan of PF or DnD 5e’s simplified rules for grappling, but I understand it for the sake of the game.

They actually give you a break on distance fallen over 6 seconds, if you assume an earth like gravity. It would be an approximately 579 foot drop from a dead stop ignoring air resistance.

So you could fall over 5000 feet before Feather Fall wears off.

Actually maybe less than 5000 feet if your velocity keeps increasing after that first 500 feet. :smirk:

Actually now that I really think about it you could probably fall a lot father than 5000 feet before Feather Fall wears off if your velocity keeps increasing after the first 500 feet.

At some point you hit terminal velocity and dint accelerate further. But I’ll be damned if I am doing that much math for this game.

Regarding the grapple rules etc. Yeah in most rpgs the martial arts are simplified. I’m not sure I have found one that really does a good job.

I like the way martial arts are handled in Mage the Ascension, what little of it I have played so far. It’s not super intricate or anything, but they do have a lot of special moves and abilities specific to the martial arts in that game that can make a martial arts character feel more unique rather than just punching and kicking stuff. I play Mage the Ascension every other Sunday with RanterX as a GM. My character is a martial artist movie star mage, but his martial arts are real. Pay no mind to the Thunder Kick I botched the other night that sent me flying across the room to smash into some desks totally missing the BBEG…yeah that was disappointing yet humorous at the same time.

Also we are totally derailing @Rando’s thread.

ignoring air resistance, it would take approximately 18 seconds to drop 5000 feet when starting at rest

played a bunch of world of darkness in my youth - but mage was unfortunately not one we played much. I think i used to own the core book when it first released, but no idea what happened to it.

Grapper apparently didnt learn anything :stuck_out_tongue:

lol

So I was watching a Roll for Combat video on youtube - or course talking about the fallout regarding the WotC’s OGL stuff, and Mark Seifter (one of the co-principal designers of PF2) was talking about one of his favourite - and oft-overlooked - fighter feats: Blind-Fight.

So Fantasy Grounds - and most of us by extension - have been doing it sorta wrong. Just targetting a concealed/hidden creature requires a flat-check even before any attack roll is completed. Fantasy Grounds, however, automagically does the flat-check after the attack roll. It’s a subtle difference, but things that trigger off of attempting an attack roll wouldn’t happen against a concealed/hidden target if you failed the flat-check to just target them in the first place!

Yeah, I think you would have to target them by using the combat tracker and declaring you try to hit them to have this make sense. Meanwhile the map token would be invisible. I suppose that might be a serious pain for a DM, since some of the PCs may see the mob while others don’t. I wonder if FG would let you make a token visible to a specific character or characters. That would be pretty cool!

Did you know that we (i.e. I/me) have been doing reactions “wrong”.

There’s no verbiage in PF2 - that I can find - that duplicates the use of reactions similar to PF1/Starfinder, i.e. in PF2 you do NOT have to have taken your turn yet before you can use reactions.

Interesting. I guess you’re referring to this?

“The GM determines whether you can use reactions before your first turn begins, depending on the situation in which the encounter happens.

Once your first turn begins, you gain your actions and reaction.”

These two sentences seem highly, mutually contradictory to me.

Edit:

To elaborate, the first sentence is saying it is up to the GM whether you can use a reaction before your first turn. I guess this is reasonable assuming you’re not flat footed due to rogue’s surprise attack or the like.

But you have no reaction to use regardless of whether you may use a reaction. So I guess you would have to get a reaction at the start of the encounter. If you don’t use it, you lose it but then gain another reaction on your first turn.