Vault of information on Reykjavík, Iceland

I’m interested in hearing from anyone that has spent time, lived in, or lives in Reykjavík.

Possibly going to be there in October and would love to hear from folks about what that experience might be like. Obviously, tips on things to do appreciated. (Things to do might be specific practices to undertake [like bring a coat] or specific activities to plan for [like go here to see the northern lights or here to visit a glacier].) Things not to do also appreciated. (Might be stay away from Club Hot and Heavy or this tour group is the worst.)

Tell me what I need to know! Thanks in advance.

Hi Ixax
I spent 3 weeks in Iceland in 2013 and it was awesome!
We had booked the circle tour through Icelandic Air, which included a car rental and pre-booked accommodations. We had been advised that some of the towns were very small and accommodations were limited. We landed on September 30th, right at the end of the tourist season and the weather was great, we only needed light jackets or a light fleece on the cooler days. I’m from Canada, so the cooler temps were fine with me.

Reykjavik is lovely and worth spending a couple of days exploring. We did not go to the Blue Lagoon, which is the super popular thermal spring. We visited the Geosea thermal springs in the northern city of Husavik and again at Myvatin Nature Baths. It was nice and quiet, only us and a few locals, and well worth a visit. I was travelling with 2 geologists so we did stray from the planned route several times to visit various areas. If you are doing the circle tour, the main road goes around the island and all of the key attractions are very well indicated and easily accessed. There are waterfalls everywhere, ice cave tours, you can watch glaciers calving, go whale watching, etc.

It’s so hard to choose key locations to visit. Must-see locations are Pingvellir (the oldest parliament), Strokkur Geyser, Gullfoss and Dettifoss waterfalls, Geysir hot springs, Dimmuborgir lava formations, Haverfjall crater, Vatnajokull National Park (for some great hiking), Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon.

I also spent an afternoon riding an Icelandic pony. Great fun!

Hah! I better stop now, or I’ll want to go with you!

Have a great trip!
Lotram

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply. That is great information, especially since your visit was timed similarly to what we are pursuing!

ENJOY
Safe Travels

1 Like