Valheim - Does anyone have a brief review of the game?

I’ve really been enjoying this game, I’m not as much a fan of the survival part, but I do love to build.

We have been enjoying as well. I kinda want to start up a ‘big build’ server to make some epic build once I get more of the initial game explored and see the full potential.

Storage on a private server is a really great tip! Thank you. Now I know what to do with the first seed that I abandoned. My 2nd seed is so much better!

Dammit now I’m going to have to give a try.

I am over 400 hours into it now. My son and I have been playing it for a month or more.

There are two basic ways to play this game- survival mode, and creative mode.

In survival mode, you make functional defensible structures to last from invasions, and your focus is to progress through the game killing all of the bosses and ascending to Valhalla. The base game itself is not super challenging combat wise, and one can use mods to increase difficulty, or one can play hardcore and see how far you get.

Creative mode is about building beautiful structures. Some people will turn on cheat mode and not even bother gathering materials, just focusing instead upon building castles in picturesque locations.

What I like about it is if you do not use a seed viewer, so the world you are in requires exploration. There is something about being out on a boat in the water, exploring for the trader or a nice swamp with crypts in it that really works for this game. For example my son and I went on a mission to sail around our continent, and this turned into a multi game day odyssey to the northern edge of the world ( you can sail off the flat earth edge in this game btw). A serpent attacked our boat, we landed, were freezing to death from the water, and managed to survive and beat off the threat. Unknown lands above your level are lethal, so one has to be careful.

There are invasions keyed off of your boss progress, with increasing difficulty. This will test the strength of your fortifications, and encourages you to build towards a purpose. People are very clever with where they locate their bases and how they construct them to foil invasions. I think there is something really primitive going on here. As a kid we used to build forts and then test them with rocks and stuff…this game taps into that.

Our first playthrough we made a massive great wall, and discovered we had around 4fps. We junked that game and started over. On the second playthrough, we used a seed viewer and porting ore across servers. This cut out exploration, and was too boring. On the third playthrough my son got bored with our plains home. I was going to go solo, but we did a 4th playthrough with mods which have made the game fresh (in particular the magic drop mods and the mods that up creature difficulty to a max 5-star rating). Iron has been a bit of a challenge, and the swamp is deadly for us, and we are gearing out hard.

2 Likes

Does anybody still play this game? I’d be interested in playing with some fellow OTG’ers :slight_smile:
Xeriah

I know through a friend that some people are, especially since they have opened up the Mistlands. If I get accepted into the guild I hope to play coop with Zodanga and any others that may be playing an open game or on a server.