Subs in WoWS

Curious if others have played with the Halloween submarines, and what their thoughts are?

Seems interesting, but I feel like this might lead to an issue similar to CV’s where good/great players can change the battlefield completely.

I’ve played the Halloween subs and found it enjoyable and different play style, I can also see how difficult it would be to balance these boats in game against surface ships, much less against each other, with the US boats being better than the Germans, British and Japanese boats, the us boats had 10 tubes, 6 forward 4 aft, the Germans had 4 forward 1 aft and it was not re loadable under water, the US, German and British torpedoes were very unreliable at the outbreak of the war but somewhat got better toward the end with the Germans probably having the best torpedo in the end, the Japanese torpedoes had a longer range and heavier warhead, they didn’t do much to improve the torpedo during the war and it was used on both surface ships and subs plus it was designed to sink warships verses the Allied counterpart which was designed to sink merchant ships , so with that said with these boats in the hands of even a mediocre player they would wreak havoc on the surface ships, in the hands of a good player they would control the battle.

I also enjoyed the submarine mode - enough that i bought the big premium package so i could play the sub that came with it (admittedly didn’t think of the fact that it will go away till after a few days - duh-oh!)

my general thought is that they would work really well in Co-op mode and operations - essentially Player vs Environment. the game balance then is no where near as difficult and the bar is much more fun gameplay than balance

thoughts?

So who has played the new sub’s?

Played a bit. It’s a different perspective for sure. WG really has their hands full trying to balance them. I didn’t like how BB’s and most CA’s couldn’t defend themselves with subs underwater.

I stated this last year after they had release the Halloween subs, I went up against a Fuso put 11 torps in her before she went down, all the while trying to avoid the sub that was hunting me, I love playing the German subs best, but I find it odd that there were no Japanese subs in the game.

I hate subs and want no part of them. Although I play WoWS daily, there are other game balancing issues I have with The game like obscene numbers of torpedoes on DDs. :slight_smile:

Year I am raising this from the dead. Sub are something they promised way back in BETA. Been out of country in a places that barely had running water hence I have not played ion 4 years., Hence the Necro of the topic.

From a DD driver perspective, ASW is another task for an already overworked class. You have to contest caps vs other DDs. Be on look out for radar cruisers. Then dodge CV strikes on the caps and on top of everything you need to hunt subs?

From what Flamu said in one of his videos, your team loses DDs, and that happens a lot in the first 2 minutes of the game, you are done.