Shadowlands

I just saw the cinematic for the next expansion… what has happened??? The Lich King dethroned, but spared? Nice little fight though!

1 Like

Reminds me of the end of the Lich King fight when they talk about why there must always be a Lich King. Now we find out why. :slight_smile:

From https://www.pcgamer.com/sylvanas-just-ripped-a-freakin-hole-in-wows-reality-heres-what-that-means/

So who is Bolvar, the icy armored dude in the trailer?

Bolvar is the current Lich King. In Warcraft 3, Arthas became the Lich King so he could command the armies of the undead and take over the world. He was defeated and his crown, which is possessed by a demon and gives you the power to command the dead, was taken by Bolvar Fordragon. Bolvar is a good guy (we think) who made a heroic sacrifice by taking the crown and sealing himself in the Frozen Throne so that the undead would be rendered harmless.

Since Sylvanas wants to weaponize the undead and death, it makes sense that she’d come for Bolvar to take his crown and claim command of the undead for herself.

Here’s where things get kind of weird, though.

In the trailer, after she defeats Bolvar, Sylvanas doesn’t claim the Frozen Throne for herself. Instead, she breaks the Helm of Domination that controls the undead and somehow shatters the barrier between the world of the living and the land of the dead, The Shadowlands.

We don’t know why this is possible. Until now, The Helm of Domination hasn’t had much of a direct connection to The Shadowlands, but Blizzard might just retcon that detail in—or there could be some other explanation.

It’s Blizzard’s version of the infamous Star Trek ship USS Makeshitup :slight_smile:

In Vanilla Wow, Highlord Bolvar could be seen standing next to the young Crown Prince Anduin in Stormwind as the Regent. King Varian was locked away on island by the Defias off the coast of Theramore on Alcaz island. Back then we couldn’t get to the island. I always figured it would have been a future raid objective.

In Wrath of the Lich King, Bolvar is in charge of the Alliance forces in Northrend and falls at the Wrath’s Gate -

The other thing to note about Bolvar is we meet his daughter in BFA, which was another really cool moment of connecting the stories.

1 Like

Bolvar, to me, was always heroic and his actions of taking over the Lich King role was so he could keep anyone from using its power (similar to Illidan staying back in Legion). I fully expected Sylvanas to put on the helm and command the army. But when she ripped it, to me, it all made sense.

She has always been caught between the living and the dead, ever since she was made into a Banshee. She isn’t alive and she isn’t dead and her fate is eternal damnation. I think her ulterior motive is now to wage war between light and dark, heaven and hell (if you will), life and death to try and secure her place beyond the grave. She never cared about the Horde, it was a means to an end.

Possible Spoilers It is referenced, apparently (I have not read it yet), that she and the Jailer (a major character from Shadowlands), have a connection and story. And this has been her goal all along.

1 Like