Senator Hawley announces bill banning loot boxes, pay-to-win mechanics

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/senator-hawley-announces-bill-banning-loot-boxes-pay-to-win-mechanics/

“When a game is designed for kids, game developers shouldn’t be allowed to monetize addiction,” Hawley said in a statement. “And when kids play games designed for adults, they should be walled off from compulsive microtransactions. Game developers who knowingly exploit children should face legal consequences.”

So to comply they would likely need to ask the player what their age is, and apply filters. Wonder if there are legal problems with that. Perhaps the simple solution is for them to move away from pay to win and loot boxes in Western releases.

The ESRB has an Adult Only rating so the companies can just slap that on and call it a day. Then it becomes the responsibility of the parents to make sure it is enforced.

I’ve always hated loot boxes, so I’m not sure how I feel about this… :confused:

One of the videos Listened to on youtube talked about EA and Bethesda, bethesda not only increased the cost of some of them but then diminished the percentage of return on the best items. I can look for the video if needed.