SB6141 Modem offer... (donation)

I upgraded our modem because my son is planning on telecommuting from home with the change over in his company. While I was looking through the closet to see where the box was for the modem I was replacing, I ran across our Motorola SB6141 cable modem just sitting there.

Its in great condition but we replaced it in 2017 when Comcast made some adjustments to our service. But this modem still works so I thought I would post it here to see if anyone can use it.

Here’s an image of the box for it along with the actual tag. I had it removed from our Comcast account so its free for anyone who can use it. Just let me know.

1 Like

Nice of you, Lyn. Thank you.

I would just point out that this is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, which means that it supports up to about 38 Mbps (I believe). Comcast’s lowest speed tier these days is 50 Mbps, so depending on the speed of your internet connection, this could be a bottleneck. For anything higher you would need a cable modem that supports DOCSIS 3.1 (which I suspect is why you upgraded in 2017).

Full disclosure, I work for Comcast. And I know there are many opinions on Comcast out there. I promise I won’t be offended if yours is less than favorable. :slight_smile:

No offense taken. I was just trying to find out if anyone could use this. We just upgraded to a Nightgear Nighthawk Cable/voice modem CM1150V. Got it last night and installed/activated it today. But I hate to trash electronic gear for any reason unless its not working. That is why I posted to see if anyone could use it.

But thanks for that feedback. I haven’t worked in the telecom business since Telecom*USA sold out, so I don’t keep up with these any longer. But I don’t really have any major issues with Comcast except the fact they use overseas customer service call centers. That and their horrible telephone nightmare cycles that get you trying to find a live agent, instead you get an AI voice over the phone that you really cannot reason with.

But your feedback actually is very informative. Which means, I’ll be taking this pc of equipment to the local recycling center for them to break down for whatever parts or metals they can use out of it. :grinning:

1 Like

Nice! The Nighthawks are very nice pieces of equipment.

And I didn’t intend to suggest that your modem isn’t of any value. I know there are many people in more rural areas where some of these speeds aren’t yet available that could very likely take advantage of a modem like this one. Especially if you’re paying your internet provide a monthly fee to lease a modem. In that case, this would be a no-brainer. That said, we’re obviously all gamers here, and the speed of our internet connections is certainly of importance. So it’s something to consider.

I will check with my local recycler and see if he can forward this to someone who can use it instead of just breaking it up. Unfortunately, I don’t live in a rural area or even close to one, so I shall have to depend on others to see about providing a new home for this modem with more life left in it.

Spec for SB6141 is 300Mbps download and 100Mbps upload. I have been using the same model for Comcast 100Mbps plan with out any issue.

Update: I found a home for that modem and it will be put to good use for infrequent internet use. Glad I was able to provide it to someone who could use it. They were just needing something low end and could not see paying the prices for something out there on the market that was way beyond what they needed.

He said it was like buying a horse when all you needed were the horse shoes. lol