Mothership

So… apparently this was Alien Day. I didn’t know such a thing existed.

On that note, is anyone familiar with a game called Mothership? It’s a rules lite SF horror RPG inspired by the Alien franchise and related movies like Outland and Event Horizon.

It has a really neat stress system that is sort of analogous to Call of Cthulhu’s sanity system but I actually like it better because it interacts with each class in a different way.

There are the Teamsters: honest blue collar working stiffs. These are folks who get stuff done. The skill monkeys of the Mothership universe. They get a bonus reroll against fear checks!

Then there are the Scientists. The brilliant but incredibly foolish people who insist on bringing unidentifiable xenomorph specimens onboard your spaceship for study. If they lose a sanity point due to encounters with things inexplicable by reason, everyone nearby gains stress.

Then there are the androids! Amazing artificially intelligent beings capable of collating vast amounts of data. They like to interface with dangerous alien technology - as you do. They are coldly rational as they have very strong fear saves but low sanity. Fellow adventurers make fear saves at disadvantage while in their presence.

Finally there are the marines - ooorah! Their motto “The only good bug is a dead bug.” Bad things tend to happen when they panic.

So yeah, I think this is a nifty little game! Only problem is that it doesn’t seem well suited for an extended campaign. Could be fun for a short one though!

2 Likes

I’m looking to get into any type of table top. If you get this going let me know.

3 Likes

@ocelot , like @zeek , let me know if you start this up. I am happy to try something new.

1 Like

I have not played Mothership, but I have played Bughunters. Same scenario, but more action than horror. you play a Space Marine enhanced human (Replicant, really) in the Alien universe.