Magazine article about OTG

Hi there Oryx. I’m 74 and only started playing online games when my son got me involved in WoW in 2007. I used to watch him play like it was a spectator sport. He felt I needed to experience the game first hand in order to understand the answers to the many questions I asked of him, so he bought me a pc and my first month’s sub to Wow. I’ve not looked back.

Since then I have played Rift, SWTOR, EQII, GW2 and circled back to Wow where I am today. Not a long time player but I’m in the elder regions of the Old Timer’s Guild age range so I suppose I fit into that category you are referring to. I joined OTG back in Feb of 2010.

I am not the eldest player, although I might be close to being the eldest female player (as far as I am aware) in OTG. (I figure someone might pop in and correct that assumption for me if I am wrong.

5 Likes

Age 67, gaming since 12/99 including Shadowbane, EQ1 & 2, Guild Wars 2, Lotro, SWToR, Uncharted Waters Online…

I find it difficult interacting with most young folks and generally tend to avoid that due to my growing impatience with weird vocabulary and behaviors. But I do try and help anyone when the opportunity arises.

4 Likes

Age 69 been gaming since before the internet on the old Commodore 64/128 with two floppy hard drives. I have corrupted (cough cough)er encouraged my kids and grandchildren with gaming. Alpha and beta tested several games, my first mmo was Ascheron’s Call. If you want more info feel free to contact me.

4 Likes

Had similar experience with the C64 - loved when GEOS came out adding decent graphics to the platform. Actually started playing Alpine Climber on TI99-4A back around mid-'80s. Moved to Amiga 500 before caving in to IBM platform. Played the Ultima series a lot.

Hi,

I am 65+ and have been gaming since pong.

My first computer was a TRS 80 and commodore 64, eventually getting an IBM 386 and I was hooked. Then, I took computer programming (basic, COBOL, FORTRAN) in college in the early '80’s. I started playing all the games too and I have been gaming ever since. I even had “Frogger” that was on a cassette tape for the tape drive on the C-64,

I played all the Sierra games with my son when he was young . He went into computer engineering later because of my interest in computers.

I started online games with the beta testing of the URU game put out by CYAN and then progressed to other online games ending up in DDO, LOTRO, Guild wars 2 and others. I even got my granddaughter and grandson playing LOTRO.

3 Likes

Drakanwulf! Sorry for my silence. I’d love to speak to you this weekend. I’ll send you a PM.
Oryx

Dnisis, thanks so much! Sorry for the delay. I’ll send you a PM, would love to chat.

Lyn! Thanks so much for replying, I’ll send you a PM as well.

I’m late to this thread and don’t meet the age requirement (yay!) but I will be sixty in March. First off, I want to thank all of you Older Timers for making this disabled Old Timer feel like the kid here. While I try to act with some measure of maturity, I do think growing up is overrated.

I want to say to everyone who posted that I enjoyed reading your abbreviated gaming and life histories. I could relate to a lot of what I read. Some of you I know at least in passing so I was especially interested in your stories but I did read every post and identified with probably every one of them in some way or another.

I also date back to pumping quarters into machines at a bowling alley with pool tables, pinball machines and several machines the size of a pinball machine with something truly amazing called video games. I distinctly remember playing pong, asteroids (my favorite) and Pacman.

My first computer was something I bought at Radio Shack that needed to be connected to a cassette tape player and I forget what else. I do recall that I had to type in programs to make it do anything although I think it may have come with some on cassette tapes. This was fun to mess with but what really hooked me was when a close friend purchased an IBM PC-XT clone (remember when they were called clones?). He also bought Lotus 1-2-3. At the time, I asked him why the heck he’d blow so much money for something that had no real usefulness aside of being a ridiculously expensive toy. A chemistry set would have been a lot cheaper. Remember those?

Anyway, it only took one session of me at the keyboard to hook me in to the magic there. As someone who at the time did home budgets on paper, the notion that I could change one number in January and see the results instantly reflected across years if I wanted to, was beyond belief. No more erasing and recalculating by hand! Wow!!! Then the real fun began. I discovered the macro language. The rest is history as they say. I left a career in nursing to pursue a degree in computer science. I went on to work in the area of speech recognition where I had the opportunity to be surrounded by a group of truly brilliant people and learn from them. There I also did work for both IBM and Microsoft. During that time, myself and a group of friends discovered the incredible fun of playing a new game called DOOM that we could play together over the company LAN after hours while on a conference call with each other for voice communication since we were spread around the building.

I will never forget the night a group of grown men all walked out of there, hanging our heads and talking about our shared fear and dread of facing the music when we got home to our wives because we’d been playing DOOM multiplayer until midnight I think it was. That was my first exposure to playing a computer game with other people at a time when I think we did have 56k modems and bulletin boards but something like DOOM you got as a shareware disc with a magazine like Compute! Remember that? Anyone remember reading BYTE or the early PC Magazine with Seymour and Dvorak?

I eventually went on to do consulting and was then picked up by a process control corporation where I worked for years before a terrible illness ended all of that. I am doing fine but I miss doing what I loved and the income that came with it was pretty nice too. I live a far more humble existence today but I can tell you a good lesson can be learned in all of that. Material things have no lasting value at all. It’s the family and friends in your life aside of basic necessities we all need to live that count. Anything else is just icing for our cakes. So I count my blessings rather than bemoan my losses and that leads me to a good point about OTG which I count as one of those blessings for more than a decade now.

OTG has been like a window, a connection to the outside world for me who rarely leaves my home. I live alone with my kittens but I don’t feel alone usually. I can login to any number of great games, including stuff not on the big list, and immediately find kindred souls in my own age group to have fun with. I was drawn to our guild back when Vanguard launched I think it was based solely at first on the motto I read. Having seen my fair share of drama in two different hard core EverQuest raiding guilds, I was ready to retire from that and excited about the idea of an older group of players who play for fun first and foremost. For more than a decade I found this to be consistently true. Do we have our moments as a diverse group of human beings? Sure we do but this guild was setup from the outset to promote harmony and limit issues. A great deal of credit is due to the founders and those who have ever since volunteered their own personal time to manage the guild all the way down to each chapter officer. They keep this big boat on course and do a really great job of it too.

I have a way of wandering off and forgetting what I started with as I write walls of text that exceed typical forum posts. Sorry about that! On a bright note, I lurk more than I write. It keeps me out of trouble! I guess I just want to thank everyone for the fun and the community we have here. It takes everyone for this to work so well as it does.

I have played original EQ with OTG years ago with a small group of great people I miss. I think that came about when Vanguard was more than my system could handle at the time. Since then I have dabbled in DDO and LoTRO and enjoyed both but naturally wound up playing EQ2 and spending a lot of time there with a great group years ago and another one more recently. I bought World of Warcraft at launch (still have my original boxed copy!) but I didn’t actually start playing until just prior to the game’s first expansion which I really loved and had tons of fun with. I have probably played WoW, primarily on the glorious Horde side more than any other game over the years with OTG, taking breaks to do other things but then always returning to my favorite. I like the Alliance too, despite the gnomes and silly goats but really I just play Alliance to spy for the Horde. Speaking of which, I will finally finish by saying,

FOR THE HORDE!!!

4 Likes

Nice to meet you…so glad you wrote your story. :grin:

1 Like

I am greatly enjoying all the responses, especially as a youngin’ at 45 years.

I would love to have these stories preserved. It’s a great look at members, and OTG.

Thank you all, and please keep them coming.

3 Likes

what a great read, thankyou

2 Likes

Hello - Earth to Oryx

I know I’m late to the part. That’s what I get for taking on a 5 year project. I’m now in year 3 - I think. OK - games - you want to know games. I don’t remember my first game but my first sorta computer game was a console with mickey mouse - OK - It was Nitendo and the plumber boys.

Although I think I was doing games before then on floppy disks that you wrote away for (using USPS) and got back in the mail. I joined an Apple Club - and went to their monthly meetings to learn how to use computer because I was changing from cut 'n paste boards to computer output for an International horse Newsletter at the time. I think it was sometime in the last 80s. I remember I had to air condition my house as it had jalousie windows and you had to have air conditioning to have a computer at the time. So I changed out my jalousie windows in one room to normal windows so I could have an air conditioner in the window for my new Apple computer. My first programs were Quark Xpress and Adobe Photoshop, so I went to the Apple Club to learn how to use those in desktop publishing. They were passing out floppy disks with games so I graduated from console to computer gaming at the time, but online gaming was scarce and so was internet - we used Bulletin Boards. And Social Media wasn’t invented yet by former VP Mr. Al Gore.

So, here I am in 2019 playing on an iMac (O/S Mojave) and a second display (Thunderbolt) but I no longer publish international horsey newsletter. So, I’m working on age 73 and play GW2 when I have time, some HOPA and adventure games and keep my mind from getting old’s timer by playing Sudoku and fun fames like Machinarium and Trine which I have a hard time solving some of the puzzles. I

One of my favorite game series was Myst - I would love to play it again, but the new tech is difficult for me to understand. I got hooked with a game called Maniac Mansion then Loom by Lucasarts. I played those a zillion times. I’d love to play Loom again - it was such a cool floppy disk game. Then the Plumber Boys (Mario & Luigi) took over my life thanks to Nitendo. In-between training, breeding and showing horses, I played Mario until I discovered Everquest. Then I found Everquest II, played World of Warcraft for a while, then played Rift from the beginning. Went back to Everquest 2 then started Guild Wars, then graduated to Guild Wars 2.

So, my gaming history isn’t all that grand. I play mostly real life as I have fun with horsies and nature. BTW, my 5 year project is a cottage in the woods and I’m going completely native!

So, that’s it. I’m sure you already have what you need to write your story. Good luck with that, and have fun.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Loom (LucasArts) on Steam

OTG is a damn fine group of people, with a peculiar niche in the gamer world, so I’m looking forward to reading the article!

1 Like

For reference, we just got a new user application whom referenced this article as their reason for joining the guild. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@revzman may we please have a link? I scanned through the thread but didn’t see one. Or did you mean this thread in particular? :slight_smile:

My bad: In the Future, Senior Citizens Will Play Video Games All Day | by Jack Crosbie | OneZero

2 Likes

Thanks!

That was a good read. Thanks for the article link @revman.

And to Oryx the author, thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and insightful writing.

1 Like