Is playing at Starbucks a thing?

Sorry for the random New World topic, but I have never even used a laptop anywhere other than my own house’s WiFi.

I’ve used WiFi in hotels, airports, and rarely anywhere else on my phone to watch Netflix, YouTube, etc. the WiFi is usually pretty bad but usually good enough to enjoy watching something. However, now that New World is about to launch and I want to make use of my free time, I was thinking about bring my laptop with me.

My daughter has club volleyball practice about a 40 minute drive from home and instead of sitting in the car watching videos I was thinking, why not play some New World?

So today is the first practice, and I’m writing this post from a Starbucks nearby using their WiFi drinking a cold brew. There is a guy here doing work on a laptop with a thick book going through stuff. There’s a couple on their laptop browsing something. There are nice tables and electric outlets. The WiFi seems pretty stable. I’m thinking this might be the answer.

Will I be frowned upon to game in here? I just want to make use of the time to at least gather and craft.

Thoughts?

I think you’d be fine, especially if you either had the game muted or a quiet pair of headphones. As long as you are a paying customer, I don’t see the difference between working on a research paper or enjoying some gaming time.

2 Likes

I would also think you’d be fine. You’re not camping out for like, 8+ hours. If you feel like it’s been a while, just order another drink, and tip well for taking a while at the table. Sounds like a great way to kill the time! Agree on some earbuds/headphones.

2 Likes

Thanks ya’ll! The laptop and headphones aren’t very discreet:

3 Likes

Discreet is totally optional!

1 Like

The problem with using public WiFi is that if there’s a snooper, you’re keystrokes are recorded. I know plenty of people who have entered account information at Starbucks in my area, and they’ve been victims. Thankfully they recovered their money, but not without going without their bank account being empty until the funds were redeposited. Just be careful is what I’m saying. I don’t trust public WiFi.

2 Likes

Ouch yea my wife always warns me about that. The only thing I’d be logging into would be New World… and my laptop log in that is only for gaming (which could ask for my steam into too.)

Thanks for the heads up

1 Like

Xinra makes excellent points – however, with Steam, you can choose to save your Steam password and have it handle your login to Steam and therefore to New World. So as long as you’re not entering other personal info, you should be fine. I’m not sure how the ability to purchase from the New World store will work, but that might pop an additional Amazon password window that you’d be better to avoid. I’d be more concerned about how the wifi will hold up to your mad PvP runs… and whether you totally lose track of the volleyball practice’s ending time!

3 Likes

I use to play WoW on occasion back in the day (eightish years ago) waiting for my daughter’s swim practice. Hackers weren’t quite as prolific back then and never had an issue. I didn’t keep financial info on my laptop though. No one seemed to care. Generally though I was fishing or gathering/crafting - so nothing noisy.

There’s also a STEAM app (remote play?) you can play on devices/phones/tablets that are actually playing on your home PC. I don’t know how the security is, etc., but for those killing time somewhere might be an option.

2 Likes

I once led a security conference by putting one of these in the room. Spoofing is a thing and it’s very hard to detect if you’ve connected to an actual wifi network or a spoofed one.