Important! Anyone Else A Hot Sauce Fan?

This is by far the single most important thread…Hot Sauce!

Who here is into hot sauces as much as they are gaming? I am looking to share recipes, thoughts and ideas on hot sauces.

Here is a green hot sauce recipe that’s just always in our fridge. This is used by my Wife and I as much as we use ketchup.

Gloves…you need them - nitrile or vinyl which ever work for you, use them when cutting chili peppers!

Peppers are seeded leaving the center (capsaicin glands, placenta - whiteish inner area) as much as possible this is where the heat comes from, contrary to popular belief its not the seeds. You can also leave the seeds in but you will have a different texture and blending will take longer to break them up.

1/2 cup poblano pepper - seeded and chopped
2 cups jalapeno - seeded and chopped
1/2 cup onion
3 gloves garlic, minced or sliced as thin as you can get it - powder if that’s what you have (1/2 TSP powder is 1 clove)
2 TSP salt - Personally I use just 1 TSP
1 TSP Vegetable or other oil
2 cups water
1 cup vinegar

Warning if you have not made hot sauce before or are sensitive to capsaicin the following should be done in a well ventilated area.

-Combine peppers, garlic, onions, salt and oil in a non reactive pan and sauté for 3 mins.
-Add 2 cups of water and simmer for 20 mins stirring frequently ( I cover )
-Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp
-Use blender to blend until smooth
-Add 1 cup of vinegar and blend until mixed

Optional but recommended
Age in the fridge in a glass container for 2 weeks before use…profit

I make greens, reds…I use habaneros, jalapenos, chili de arbols, cayenne etc etc etc. I am no expert, I just love hot sauces. List out what you have done or like.

2 Likes

This is what I normally buy in the supermarket around the corner :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried making hot sauce once. Your recipe is similar to the one I used, as I recall. I like a lot of heat, but my sauce was so damn hot I couldn’t eat it. I may have gotten something wrong with the yields, but man was it hot. Maybe I’ll give it another go with your recipe.

Oh that looks good!

I have had sauces turn out unexpected too. Some suggestions I have to give if a sauce is to mild or hot make another batch with a milder or hotter pepper and mix to taste. You can cut a hotter than expected sauce with some fruit, mangos, apples, oranges, blueberries etc.

The recipe above only matters in portions for shelf life based on lowering PH and added tang with the vinegar, from there you can do what you want pepper/other fruit wise. One of my favorite variations is a 1 cup serrano and 1 1/2 cup jalapeno. I have also made it even more mild by going more poblano.

You can also do fermented sauces, the fermentation can mellow out peppers some. I do as much fermented as cooked.

If you find certain peppers that you really like the taste of, but are too hot for you to normally use, you can cut them in halves, pack them in an oven resistant bowl, cover with (olive) oil and leave in the oven at a (very) low temperature for an hour or so.

This will leech a fair amount of the heat into the oil, making the peppers less hot, but still tasty, and also leaves you with a very nice spicy oil :slight_smile:

(Remember, capsaicin is an ‘oil’ itself)

2 Likes

This is probably a goofy American thing, but have any of you noticed that grocery-store jalapenos aren’t nearly as hot as they used to be?

Interesting. I’m a HUGE natural hot sauce fan. I buy everything from The Heatonist lately (you’d know them from the youtube show Hot Ones!) and can’t stand stuff with filler and extract.

Sadly, my wife is allergic to capsaicin and eating it with dinner can be difficult. If I made a batch, she’d literally die. She has to leave the house if I reheat wings from last night’s pizza night. lol

I agree, I have had much better luck buying them from international (Asian, Mexican Etc) markets than the big box stores.

WOW! Poor girl and by definition poor you…Curious not trying to be nosy but is She allergic to the point that table pepper is dangerous for her?

1 Like

Black pepper is different, no capsaicin. Piperine, instead. It’s probably the only one that should really be called “pepper.” :stuck_out_tongue:

But I agree, being allergic to chiles would make me sad.

1 Like

Wow!, thanks I ASSumed black pepper had capsaicin :crazy_face: but now I learned something new today I can go back to bed.

More mostly useless info: Chile pepper seeds do NOT contain capsaicin. Sure, there may be some on the outside, but not the seeds themselves. I still don’t like them in my salsas/hot sauces, though.

This isn’t exactly a hot sauce, more a salsa. But it’s easy, and good, and not too hot if you have family members who are weenies:

• 2-6 Roma tomatoes; halfed
  • 1 White Onion; Quartered
  • 2 Jalapenos; Halfed
  • 2 Serranos; Halfed
  • 2 Habaneros; Halfed
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 Ten Ounce can of fire roasted crushed tomatoes
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of cumin
  • 1 bunch of cilantro

Broil the fresh tomatoes, onion and peppers in the oven until beginning to blacken. You could grill them, instead, if you’re set up for that.

Put fresh tomatoes to the side, then put all other ingredients in the blender and blend it away for a minute. THEN add the roma tomato halves a couple at a time until it’s as tomato-ey (pretty sure that’s a word) as you want. Some people (my wife) would want even more than 6 tomatoes in it if you let them. Stay strong.

Then add more salt, cumin or sugar to taste.

If you have access to good tomatoes, skip the canned stuff and use more fresh. But the canned stuff has more flavor than MOST grocery-store tomatoes.

1 Like

I don’t make my own hot sauces, but love hot sauces. I also like watching some Youtube channels and people eating hot sauces and hot item challenges.

Hot Ones - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPD_bxCRGpmmeQcbe2kpPaA
They also have a Hot Ones: The Game Show on TruTV network.

I buy their hot sauces at Heatonist - https://heatonist.com/

2 Likes

I’m not into homemade hot sauces. I do have a selection of franks red hot. If I want a new hot sauce I’ll just make one. Usually ketchup-based and I just through stuff in it so I don’t have recipies.

I keep some Frank’s around myself because I put that %^#*@ on everything

1 Like

Nope. What he said. Makes shopping interesting as they can hide things that trigger her a little under the generic “Spices” category. Still, she never knew she was allergic just thought she didn’t like it. One day I swatched a jalapeno across her hand and it lit up like an allergy swab. :smiley:

1 Like

So have any of you been really adventurous and tried to make fermented hot sauces? Old-school: Basically just saltwater, chiles (and other stuff, if you want), and time. :slight_smile:

I have a jalapeno and long finger ferment going now

Very cool! Let us know how it goes.

I’ve tried exactly twice. The first time I used fresh Fresno peppers and it turned out great. The 2nd time I used ripe (red) jalapenos, and added a bit of sugar for some dumb-assed reason, and it got cloudy and smelled bad within days. Lesson learned. :smiley: