Help with a computer build

No problem.

Can I ride it?

(Silly new motorcycle joke adapted to your PC.)

You should be using at least one NVME drive. :slight_smile:

Dread,
Cool to see your making a dream build…I am finishing up my own now. But I do want to point out a few things being a Graphic Artist and Gamer like yourself.

When it comes to all things…I went with a X299 board and chip set. The reason I did this is because of intel’s plans for the x299 platform with continued releases. It gives me a great amount of upgradable ability down the road with the system I made in regards to the processor (BTW intel is about to release new 10 gen X series chips soon).

But there is some overkill in what these processors are needed for. Are you doing a lot of 3D work ? I was a former 3D artist and this is the area where gobs of ram and extreme processors benefit in our world. So unless you do 3D full time…save some $$. Don’t worry about the most high end processors. Even if your like me and are doing general graphics and video work…its a bit overkill to go with the extreme processors. Its doubtful you will notice a difference in day to day activities if you went with say 14 cores over the 18. Yes the extra cores can help…but IMO the $$ to performance you get from using the extreme processors is going to be minimally noticed. A good 8th-10th gen with 14 cores would cover all your bases. If your doing just Illustrator or Photoshop work…a good 10 core and nice video card is all ya need (stick to NVIDIA as Adobe doesn’t support accelerated graphics with other brands of video cards).

Here is where many will argue with me…
Gaming doesn’t need anything over 8 cores. And your not going to be that much faster than anyone else in a game based purely on the CPU. If all your concerned about is benchmark results…go for it. If not…don’t waste your money. But I believe its way overkill on a pure game machine using more than a 8 core processor.

In regards to a NVMe…seriously add that to the build…if ya can have 2…go for it. I just added a WD_Black 1TB NVMe to mine and it smokes my SSD. A complete night and day difference to apps and games running on them.

One last thing…for water cooling I am a EK junkie and recommend there products. I never did water cooling in a system before this one. But it wasn’t hard to do and I love the results with what I built (twin radiators…CPU and GPU cooling on a full loop). Highly recommend it to someone that can afford it. It wasn’t cheap…but I love it. And non of my system gets over 40c with the processor overclocked. I haven’t tried out overclocking my 2080 yet…but plan on it.

I haven’t found the Gen4 22110 again, so they must still be coming. The Intel listed in there is a PCI 3.1 running at high speed in NVMe mode. and in RAID, they increase to the max speed on-board, IIRC.

I don’t know about you all…but i was just reading about the new X-Series processors via the details that were leaked online. And the new price model for the upcoming X series is kick ass…less than 1k for the new top of the line Xtreme processor.

Intel is finally making these chips reasonable priced to compete with AMD. I hope they carry that approach over to the rest of there future products and AMD keeps the competition going.

With that said…I can finally see the bang for the buck going to a Xtreme processor with these new chips…I just might have to convince my wife I need a upgrade :slight_smile: