Flashbacks

Its amazing what you find when casually browsing the internet these days…

Great song relating back to the days when colored film became available. Colorful images and shots of old Kodak cameras underscore the influence Kodak had on all of us amateur photographers. Written and recorded by Paul Simon. Appeared in his 1973 album, “There Goes Rhymin’ Simon”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ltLp30KVs&t=3s

Ironically, Kodak axed their Kodachrome film 35 years after Paul Simon did this song.

1 Like

And then you have a song with the oldest lyrics, which incidentally were taken from the Bible

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

The lyrics of Pete Seeger’s song “To Everything There Is a Season” were taken word for word from the Bible ( Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 ). The only words Seeger added were “Turn! Turn! Turn!” and “I swear it’s not too late.”Feb 4, 2016

And then I find this gem:

Such a fruitful day for me to find all this amazing historic musical information and listen to some great songs from my youth. I remember the songs of the 60s and early 70’s but mostly the 60s as those were my teenaged years.

I remember hearing this song as a child, but I never knew the lyrics. Only now did I learn that it’s about a camera. LOL. Thanks Lynn.

1 Like

Yea…its amazing what I find these days when I do my daily browsing. I determined a few years ago after I retired, that in order to keep myself mentally alert, I needed to stimulate my brain. Therefore, I browse, do research on all kinds of subject matter and tend to watch lots of different documentaries that interest me.

I’m particularly happy when I find stuff like this. I never knew this either so it was quite a surprise finding it. And, since I find these things interesting, I figured some OTG folks would too. After all, we all are of varying ages and have a multitude of interests, besides playing games. :ohyea:

Yeah, this stuff is pretty interesting. Speaking of which, I got my first color camera in 1977 as a kid. Loved it all except for those darn flash bulbs. Also, my family didn’t get their first color TV until 1976. It’s crazy to imagine how prevalent B&W still was even back then.

Yes, I remember. However, I also stuck to black and white photography when I went back to school in the early 90s. After the economy started to tank and I lost my job (as did all my co-workers due to the owner selling the business), I decided in my mid 40s to pursue my college degree. After my first year when the school dropped the Engineering degree path for education, I switched to Art and picked up Light Media which encompassed all manner of photography.

We stuck to black and white and I really loved the contrast we could achieve in the development lab after we shot our film. I continued that into my second degree path @Alfred University in upstate NY for my BFA.

I did not concentrate on color as I really liked the way my black and white photos came out. But after a while I decided to work in color since so many of my ceramic pieces were in vivid glaze colors. So glad I had learned how to shoot my own work since the photographers at that school were charging the students $75/per piece just to create a juried value photo for them. I definitely could not pay that much for my own stuff.

It’s a kodak moment!

My father spent a large part of his working life as a photojournalist with black and white being the only choice really . the first great high speed b&w film was Tri-x which as 35 mm version was developed for photojournalists in the mid 50’s. The resolution was superb and the longevity of the prints and negatives was extensive. Colour on the other hand was very temperamental and difficult to process quickly and even with Ektachrome as a slide would deteriorate within 8 years . It was many years before Kodak perfected the process and today they say material can be archived for 200 years and the colours will still look great.

This was the world’s first colour photograph in a newspaper, that’s quite an achievement

Lots of newspapers used colour earlier, from the 1890s. (For cartoon strips, coloured engravings, etc.) but these were all pre printed inserts and not actual photographs taken only a few hours before

2 Likes

@Kelryth you’ve made it weird now. LOL :flushed:

2 Likes