[Finished] PF2 - Big Troubles in Little Otari Extravaganza (Sundays, 8-11 EDT)

Yeah, I am good with what ever you want to play. I was looking at changing characters if/when we get the book the magus is in. That would be int based and have arcana, but would be more blaster than buff/heal.

1 Like

Same here. Play whatā€™s fun to play, we can adapt as a group.

1 Like

Laughs in Pathfinder 2E

DISCLAIMER
Iā€™m not making fun of you guys in particular or your ability to play and adapt, I am laughing at Pathfinder 2E not being very friendly towards the ā€œplay what you wantā€ mentality. Personally, I think Pathfinder 2E requires a ā€œcomplete balanced breakfastā€ of a party to not thoroughly get your asses kicked, but thatā€™s me and of course Iā€™m the Devilā€™s Advocate regarding PF2E. That is one reason why I donā€™t really care for PF2E. Also, Iā€™m not in this game so my opinion doesnā€™t matter in the end, I just needed to (well, wanted to more like it) :smirk: give yā€™all some grief hehe. I have ben wrestling with my decision not to play because I enjoy playing with yā€™all, I just donā€™t enjoy PF2E all that much.

Carry on, good luck in your adventures

1 Like

Heyyy @Ryukan :grin:

I for one really like Pathfinder 2E but I can understand why itā€™s not everyoneā€™s cup of tea.

The biggest reason I like it is because it offers a plethora of character options - classes, ancestries, feats - there is just so much to explore and pretty much any character concept (within reason) can be brought to life. And despite all of these options the game is, for the most part, pretty well balanced. There are very few really bad options in this game and likewise there are very few broken/OP options.

I approach character creation by creating a role playing concept that I think is interesting and fun and then optimize my build around that concept. I can do that in PF2E and know that my character isnā€™t going to be so badly underpowered; they will still be relevant to the party if maybe not completely optimal in every way.

To your point about having a balanced party, I think there is some truth to it but at the same time it might not be as bad as people tend to think. For example, Iā€™m pretty sure that if we created a party of all fighters we would be just fine provided we had all the skills reasonably covered. I admit it would be pretty challenging though without at least some in combat healing.

The way I see healing in PF2e is that it gives the dice a chance to ā€œcool offā€ and revert to the average. And it does that by prolonging the battle, and I think the math does generally tend to favor the party as more dice rolls occur. But when the dice rolls are few, anything can happen. So there is definitely more risk in not having a healer but I think you can get by as long as somebody is decent with Medicine.

The other thing I like about Pathfinder 2e is the 3 action economy. IMO, it opens up a lot of choices for each character. If Iā€™m a martial if I really want to maximize damage I can use all 3 attacks but incur a significant multitrack penalty in the process. Alternatively, I can use one of those actions to move into a better position or make an athletics check to trip/grapple/disarm. If Iā€™m a caster I can use my 3rd action to provide some Metamagic or I could use it to make a knowledge check against a creature or demoralize it with Intimidation or confuse it with Bon Mot.

In sum, I like PF2e because it provides a lot of meaningful choices at both character creation and at the table.

I started working on my own conversion of Secrets of Magic so we could get that content into the game regardless of whether Smiteworks has their official module ready.

Screw it.

~shoots the reinvited wheel in the umā€¦ wheel~

So thereā€™s already community modules for the Magus, Summoner, Secrets of Magic spells, Gunslinger, and Inventor. Weā€™ve got that content available now.

And remember. If you guys want any items, spells, feats, backgrounds, etc, from a source we donā€™t have access to currently, itā€™s (relatively) easy to enter that stuff by hand. Classes and ancestries, however, have a certain level of automation that makes jury-rigging them into existence really hard.

1 Like

Fireball?

1 Like

It is jJust trying to decide what size hairball to hack out on his enemiesā€¦ the suit and tie is a disguise

Mith

1 Like

Iā€™ll have the server up ~6:30 for anyone who needs to do character stuffs.

Hairball + Produce Flame = Improvised FIREBALL!

Well here are some more flaming hairballs to throw at everyone.

I have to admit I keep thinking about my elven wizard character from the forgotten realms heroic romp and part of me wants to make a wizard again. Iā€™m wondering if I can improve on that original character - I feel like there was an experiment or story there that got cut short - sort like of a Netflix series that gets really good toward the end of season 1 but gets axed before season 2 can come out.

Then Secrets of Magic Came out and I was like, wow this Runelord thing looks really cool. I had a character idea a couple of months back about a Tiefling wizard of a certain demonic sub-lineage who was an enchantment focused Runelord but Iā€™m not sure that enchantment focus is really what this campaign needs.

So I also thought about taking this same character but re-imagining her as a Bard which might work too. Previously I was having trouble with the Bard b/c I donā€™t really get the whole ā€œplay a musical instrumentā€ fantasy but looking again at the Performance skill you can also do other things like sing or dance which kind of fits in with a misunderstood socially outcast backstory I thought up where she had also previously worked at a nightclub before becoming an adventurer.

But Runelord sounds so much more badass - at least in my imagination if not in actual play :laughing:

Anywayā€¦ Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll settle on something soon :see_no_evil:

long live Cowboy Beebopā€¦

Long live Jupiterā€™s Legacyā€¦

RE: Daze

The consensus seems to be the inclusion of the ā€œbasicā€ keyword as part of the save, implying that yes it could crit or do half, or do no damage based on the result of the saving throw. So yes, @ocelotā€™s interpretation is correct; the spell isnā€™t setup correctly (in Fantasy Grounds). Turning it into a basic save you just flip a flag on the saving throw action of the spell.

The PF2 rules continue to be overly ambiguous, confusing, poorly written and edited. Yay.

Ooooooooooooo so many snarky things I wanna say about this in relation to Starfinderā€¦but I wonā€™t. Instead I will let you imagine the things I might say and imagine your responses to said imagined comments. :smirk:

I keep hearing voices from the grave :thinking:

Are you seeing dead people???

Iā€™ve been rendered undead. I know yā€™all ainā€™t got any ghost touch yetā€¦only the DM can affect me now MWAHAHAHA!

1 Like

{dives behind the nearest solid object and covers his headā€¦}

Well you could be the undead ancestor many time removed of Ocelots Undead sorcerer come to give her pointers about dealing with the afterlife!!!

Mith

This visitation was strictly performed by a hologram and is no indication that Mithinar is lurking around stillā€¦