Faith. No More?

I decided to listen to Fatih No More’s album “King for a day, Fool for a lifetime” again after lord knows how many years after watching a doc on music. I have to say, I was thoroughly impressed with the entire album. Especially with the title track “King for a Day”.

The solid, funky bass line mixed with that acoustic jingle. The piano melody, simple and shredding guitar riffs, Mike Patton’s vocals sounding like a mixture of Peter Steele and Maynard James Keenan. chefs kiss

I got a sudden rush of nostalgia all of a sudden and had this feeling I used to get when I went to buy or borrow a new album from a friend growing up. Even games. I’m not trying to be a downer, but it seems like I get constantly let down with new albums and games (usually not indie games) from my favorite developers and bands.

Is anyone else feeling this way about music or games lately?

2 Likes

I remember that album. Good stuff. I’d say games are worse than music these days. Ya the popular stuff lacks, but there are still a lot of indie projects that have soul. But new games are really lacking compared to the older ones.

1 Like

Funny you should ask about this as there was a thread like this about music on r/AskOldPeople on reddit earlier this week.

I don’t think music is worse. It’s always evolving and changing. I think it’s more that a lot of our taste in music is formed when we’re young. The further we get from our youth, the more music drifts away from our definition of “good”, the harder it is to relate to.

Though there is a lot of contemporary music I don’t care for (mostly because of the rap/hip-hop influences), I still find contemporary musicians I enjoy. I’ll admit, though, that many of them are considered “alternative” or at least not mainstream.

As for games, IDK if they’re worse or we’re all just jaded after playing for decades. A lot of stuff is “been there, done that” for us now. I can still fall in love with a game periodically. I agree there’s a lot of junk out there, but I think that’s an inevitable result of abundance.

2 Likes

I definitely agree with music always changing, but there was just something about taking a trip to buy a new album, the excitement, reading the labels and album cover, appreciating the artwork.

Maybe I should start collecting albums again.

The 70’s 80’s and 90’s were amazing times for music.

1 Like