Dear Diary : The travels of Myre the Iksar

Page …1

It all started with a wagon ride to Freeport when the bears happened.

The wagon was midway through the tunnel heading to the commons but that went sideways. Sigh. The screaming, the yelling, the bears … bearing do bear stuff like removing hands and loping off arms. Dimly illuminated by the few lanterns that were part of the wagons. Most went up in a flash of flame and light as others were suffocated dropping the tunnels into darkness.

Why great Cazic I, again, thought to myself as I bravely leaped over bears gnawing away on the brave wagoneers. Why yknow… not grant your children … oh I don’t know … something helpful in situations as these … ie: genetic mutation 'Infravision" ? “Oh Cazic CAZIC CAZIC!” … wish you were here to see that one handed vaulted leap I just performed. Bravely … again I might add. Though the back of that bear I just soared over was … kinda … sticky.

Seeing my salvation, aka : the exit, I stopped running, composed my posture, striding out of the tunnel calmly. Walking back to the safety of this sad little hamlet which was still on fire.

3 Likes

Page 5

I approached the two closest Dark Elven militia guards. I waved which may seem a bit silly but considering I’m very much of the … Iksar’ian persuasion I lack the ability to smile. Humaniod’s tend to take a two meter tall reptile “smiling” as “That thing over there is hungry. Stab it!”.

The two guards I walked upon appeared to believe me to be a “servant” of sorts. As mother used to say “… Dark Elves” while rolling her eyes sideways. I think the military term in Dark Elven for servant is “Canon Fodder” and thus in harsh language ordered me to report to another pair of guards higher up in the food chain. If my friends … If I had friends they would pout in envy of me… ME moving up in the world.

I did what the “higher ups” told me do. “Ching Ching” pays the bills as they say over in Steamfont. I also earned a couple pieces of plate armour and a new shiny sword. Parted a Thexian from the mortal realm which felt disturbingly … nice. My whole body felt flushed with energy and rest… life? I’m sure some of my minor wounds from the wagon accident earlier just vanished.

After half a day of mercenary work. “Mercenary … Mercenary Myre. As in Mire … for hire.” I played in my head I would find out there was a bank branch extension here in … I need a name for this burning village in the woods. Eventually I settled on … Outpost Campfire. Sounds so … dangerous and covert-ty.

Page 11

Dear diary … one of my ancestors was a HERETIC!

Thank Cazic there was small inn here at … duh Duh DUH … “OUTPOST CAMPFIRE”. Enjoyed a nice piece of, hehe, bear meat or … possibly “Wagoneer” seared ever so lightly. A chunk of hot fire baked bread infused with garlic and butter and a bottle of wine. Diary … this is how a up and coming A Class Merc feasts! A thought way back in my lizard brain whispered something about picking up some skill in the ‘Culinary’ arts. SO Fancy. I could learn and cook what I k …

It was here the Mayor of O.CF. and his daughter, Princess Campfire I’ll call her, thanked me for saving his burning woods from the Thexian undead scourge, the wolves, those walking piles of stone and rock, “And the spider people.” I quickly appended to his rolling list of my accolades. This seemed to catch him off guard.

After quickly composing himself the Mayor explained he wanted to help me out and help out he did. Locating an old old … very old wooden trunk that belonged to one of my first ancestors. “Yes, an ancestor of some sort. Hailed from a place they called ‘The Seventh Hammer’. This land is all but forgotten it seems. Some place before the God’s left and the Cataclysm fell upon Norrath.” After a tarnished cup of my wineThe Mayor quickly bid me good night reminding me this trunk is now residing at The Bank.

“A coin … a minted Qeynos coin!” was the first object I discovered carefully wrapped in a small box.

“HELLO WEARY TRAVELLER! I QUEEN ANTO…”

Quickly I smothered the coin with a pillow from my inn room bed.

Sigh… my … this … my ancestor was a Heretic.

1 Like

Day 12

There I sat in awe and distain discovering even more of my long dead ancestor’s love for Queen Antonia. What I thought was a blanket revealed to be a three meter tapestry of the Queen. Like the “speaking” coin I found moments ago were three miniature statues of Antonia. Of course also “spoke” blah blah blah. There were a ton of potions with labels of “Life Experience” and a rather kinky golden fairy with matching golden chain in a jar. Well it’s mine now as I roughly shook the jar laughing , watching, it bounce around. It made a faint “TING TING” noise. A thought occured during my abuse realizing Cazic … Cazic answered my curse with this enslaved fairy! No matter how into the dark my travels take me I have a constant golden source of light! Oh Praise CAZIC! Though something green, or red, even smoke black would … no that wouldn’t work very well.

Deeper into the trunk lie a cloth wrapped ledger revealing two deeds to … well mansions. One clearly declared haunted and the other built into the cliff of a similar desolate haunted sea coast. Maybe this ancestor wasn’t such a good person after all. Possibly a traitor … a brigand … ooh maybe this family member was an assassin! Then I found a few crumbling song scrolls and three ancient music instruments at the bottom of the trunk.

Appears this ancestor was some emo dirge.

The knock upon my door startled me … quickly I shoved the traitorous contraband back into the trunk.

“His Lordship, The Mayor, requires your attention.” The inn keeper shouted through the thick wooden door. “'Supthing about you leaving for Neriak.”

Neriak … Neriak! Yep this Merc is moving on and up!

Day 15

I should have walked away but … oh no I was too curious when this crazy talking Fae offered me a job “Super evil fun time.”.

In short time I would learn … Neriak is filled with psychopaths.

Cackling, gleefully, the insane Fae even rubbed his hands together while whispering “Super Evil … fun time. Bad. Bad.” It tasked me to gather five bunches of the squishy nasty roots growing all around Neriak. Second part would be a bit more challenging as I needed to steal an urn of sorts. The fluttering Fae directed me to a warehouse of sorts it currently was stored. Oh, and the last part deliver it to a certain Dark Elf whose business was part of the Dark Bargainers factories down below. Maybe It liked this Dark Elf and wanted to send him the oddest bouquet?

Well … turned out the urn belonged to this Dark Elf. His shouts turned to violence and I barely dodged the dagger jabbed at my face. Spinning about with no time to draw my club I “Knighted” the owner of the urn with his urn. Killing him instantly.

It’s pretty dark down here … I wrapped the bloodied Dark Elf with my cloak and dumped him into the closest ravine. Curiosity caught me, heh, but I never did hear a thud.

I walked back to the first gate area slowly stopping, briefly, by the bank on my way. This Fae was laughing and pointing at me as I approached it. After insulting my intelligence and urging me to calm down I made a bard’s effort. Best all I could do was slump and sigh as I, well, can’t frown either. Iksar’s tend to simply look hungry or mad, I hear, all the time.

The Fae made a grand jesture of plucking a small spotted mushroom from a pocket presenting it to me as my payment. “OH … I couldn’t take your last mushroom.” I pantomined clasping my face with both hands. Still laughing, fluttering about, The Fae told me earned it … that It hadn’t had this much fun in ages. Hmmph … intelligence … I mused inwardly. “Such a generous reward … I shall treasure this mushroom forever!” Pausing I continued … “Please, allow me to return your generosity.”

I handed him one of the miniature Queen Antonia brass statues. Yes. The same statue that “talks” … loudly.

Days later I didn’t see The Fae where I saw him last nor around the city in my travels. It was simply a matter of time It would trigger the statue and … well … the Dark Elven guard in Neriak did the rest.

All these years later I remember The Fae when I gaze upon this mushroom still sitting on a shelf in my home.

Thank you , Naamu , for the wonderfully ghostly red music box. It rests with my precious collection of X-mas 2006 EQ midi music boxes.

Paid a tinker to take this photo. Morning in Butcherblock. The sea, the salt, birds calling, a ship full of passengers who should be robbed getting away.

Ahhh … Diary … we should sail to Freeport before returning to our duties in Neriak. There was that, another crazy person … surprise… in Neriak no less, talking to a green gem. Paying me to pick up a few … I mean part some souls from their bodies … “trinkets” out in the Commonlands.

Day 17

OH CAZIC! The soft skins of Freeport have a … get this … “Execution Plaza”! There were a few vendors selling food and drinks. From one vendor I bought a “Thumbs DOWN” flag. I waved that flag so hard it started to tear. Sir Lucan was all formal during ‘sentencing’ ie: Blah blah this traitor did this and this family did that. On and on. I even joined in on the Freeport crowd chant “DROP 'EM , DROP 'EM!” Oh I had such a great time in Freeport. “It’s a spicy place …” as mother seldom said.

So … So… get this Lord, Sir Lucan, himself bound the dirty traitors in some magical hand levitating each for a few, LONG, last seconds before letting them fall. I took a peek over what looked like a pit but it’s filled with huuuge spinning blades. Leave it up to those ‘crazy’ Gnomes to devise such a fear inspiring torture machine. Some of those Gnomes in the Freeport engineering core must worship Cazic. I mean … they have to … to tap into that level of creative inspiration.

Freeport is Great!

Day 21

Dear diary

Been inside all day and night “chained” to a work bench “Kissing Ass” with/for the Dark Bargaineers syndicate. From my stained glass window I can hear Sir Lucan over at the Execution plaza. Wow… Freeport sure has alot of traitors.

Decided to go out for some sea scenery and air. I “borrowed” a Freeport guards trusty mount and found this great vantage point.

Day 27

The temple here in Neriak, an order known as “The Dead”, looms out of the darkness occupying a section of these massive caverns. Glyphs both mundane and enchanted, I’d bet, decorate both the outer and inner walls.

It was here I was informally introduced to the Dark Elven power, and belief system, all of Neriak and it’s citizens are ruled by. Contrast that to Freeport of which I say is ruled through fear and paranoia.

Outside these walls I met a few of the class discipline leaders. The soldiers, the dark knights, assassins and their dark song dirge’s. I have to admit I was drawn to the assassins but like the Black Knights of Freeport the Black Knights of Neriak stirred something within me.

As I departed out tasked with another mission, seeking all manner of arachnid, that would take me to Nektulos forest I should drop these items to the man with the green gem.

Day 27

Handing a crazed man pieces of shadow and bone seemed mundane enough. All the while my new Dark Elf ‘friend’ held the rod like green gem close to his body roughly snatching the bag I had held.

I began to protest as he began to whisper enchanted words… powerful words… you could feel it in the air. What transpired next happened quickly. I remember a rumbling followed by the ground before me erupting. The Dark Elf yelled something “Dominion” and “Demands Sacrifice!”. I tripped falling backwards reaching out, extending my left hand before me, time slowed as the blood of Cazic rushed filling my being with fear.

A large dark shadowy being of wurm like rock coiled above me. Filled with fear I screamed. My left hand felt odd and there was some exchange. Something new to me but old to the core of my being. I witnessed this towering rock beast shudder and wail immediately I felt empty, hollow, my scream silenced. My fall ceased as I slammed into the rock of Neriak’s cavern floor. Crushed by the weight of the massive dark wurm.

Diary … I died this day.

Day unknown

I stirred, the stench of excrements clinging to me, sensation of cold before I became wracked in dire pain. A hoarse wail of a scream escaped my jaw and my vision was blurred. I would find, soon, I was laid upon a cold slab of dark stone which sloped at a shallow angle. Instinctivly my left arm shot upwards revealing a gown of sorts I had been wearing for far too long. Stained fully with blood, pus, vomit, sweat, and iridescent glyphs. Very similar to glyphs I had seen … my mind my brain spasmed in debilitating pain. My eye slits closed hiding what I had just visioned.

I reopened my slits focusing on what must be my arm but it was no longer beautiful. Like the Jii-Jii of my home, a dark black frog with hot green markings, these scales were now … White. My lovely markings now a dull grey-blue. My feeble willpower ceased and the offending appendage slumped, lightly bounced, on the cold stone.

“You are finally back?” A voice above my scaled crown queried from the dark my slits flying open. I snarled baring my fangs coughing I challenged the unseen voice “Where am I?” Though it was more whimper and wail than anything else. A armoured Knight strode from the gloom approaching my body gently laying his hand upon my soiled gown. “You are safe. You are in Neriak. I am Neerssysn T’Zyzin. Through the grace of Queen Cristanos you breathe today.”

T’Zyzin looked up and past my body “Clean this thing up! Feed it then bring it to me!”

The Knight looked down, I could see through half slitted eyes, patted my shoulder saying “You are bound till death to serve Neriak and her Queen.” With that I attempted to say something but pain shot through my entire being and my slits closed. I went unconcious again.

Day … diary lets say day 1

Once T’Zyzin exited the chamber a trio of servants, their eyes covered and mouths gagged, gently cut away my disgusting gown and bandages. I could now feel the intense cold of the chamber I stood in as drafts wound about my damp naked scales. Glancing to my right I could see, easily, a half dozen more stone “tables” some with inert bodies some vacant. A hand lightly touched my left forearm and I snapped hissing barring my fangs. One of the blinded mute servants held before me the collection of my old bandages and gown. The servant quietly pointed to the mass of soiled cloth, then forced it into my hands, and pointed at a small ritualistic looking brazier.

The fire within the ritual brazier burned a fierce hot blue but took on a shade of hot pink white after I dumped my gown and bloody bandage rags inside. I turned my head to find one or maybe another of the blinded mute servants standing behind me with a thick package wrapped in brown paper. He or She pushed the package into my chest I glanced down to a large crest stamped onto the paper. A moment passed before I could remember this was the symbol for the Dark Elven trade family, of which I had performed tasks for, The Dark Bargainers. Within I found a full suit of light leathers, minus any cap or head gear, and a quiver for arrows. As I dressed myself I felt a surge of grief … my scales my armour gifted to my race from Cazic shown white and bluish-gray now. With an anger I buckled, buttoned, and yanked the leathers hiding as much of my new body as I could.

Looking up, scanning the chamber, I followed in the direction of T’Zyzin the Knight. I did not realize at this point how empty of Fear my vessle had become. You were hatched into and with Fear, lived and died with Fear, an Iksar was fueled by Fear, you made your enemies die with Fear.

I can look back now, Diary at this point in time, and realize I would soon learn of this abscence and it’s meaning. My mentor to be, the Knight T’Zyzin, his knowledge and words would break me as metal over an anvil.

Neriak has a semi functioning sea gate. Leads to multiple points around the world once it is fully restored … my Dark Elven friends proclaim.

I know I have different hardware than back in 2004 or even 2016 (when I think I last was in) but wow … EQ2 is really beautiful. I haven’t even seen any of the new or newer zones yet even. The wate… The levels in the “Triad of …” the summer plume dungeon … those zones are gorgeous. The fire runes on the walls, the water, water falls …

Anyways … Just sharing a screen shot.

BTW : is that Lodizal(sp) … that huge turtle I only saw once in EQ 1 ?

Dear Diary … day 4 ;

I was assigned to assist members of The Spurned. One of the many factions within this dark city. It was a simple task … bring back 8 legs from a certain breed of spider deep withn Nekultos forest. When I asked my mistress this must be for a potent poison she corrected me with a gleeful laugh. “No … no … my lovely this is for a potion I am creating. Bring back to me everything on the list and you will see.”

Well … diary … I “See” now and this potion doesn’t seem to have a time limitation attached.

Day … 1

The meeting with T’Zyzin my new Master.

I was led out of the necromantic chamber by one of the blind silent servants. First we ascended two flights exiting back into the court yard of the castle Neriak. Quietly I followed behind noticing my new leathers were surprisingly quiet. The craftsmanship of the Dark Elves I mused.

The servant guided me to a small stone glyphed fort within the outer grounds of the castle. Gazing upwards the massive cavern ceiling was alight with various colors of Dark Elven fire. Numerous shadowy haunted spectres moved like winds winding about the icy spiked stalagtites high above. This kingdom was a land where no light or good could ever shine came to mind as I stepped into the stone fortress. My guide, the blind mute, bent over at his waist left arm extended ushering me forward.

T’Zyzin was seated behind a finely carved bone accented large desk. Inside the room with him was a woman and a man dressed in dark leathers their faces hidden behind a veil. T’Zyzin’s eyes looked up and through me as I entered “SIT!” his speech was strong rolling over me. Afterwards, in hindsight I would contemplate realizing he spoke in whisper.

“Tell, Myre daughter of the Iksar, what do you remember of the man with a green gem?” T’Zyzin waved his left hand in a dismissive manner. I recounted the story how I was selling my sword arm as a mercenary within Dark Light woods and was directed to enter Neriak and continue. The Dark Elf, with the gem, required bones of long dead animated orcs out in the human lands beyound the Dark woods. Once I had these bone fragments, spiritual residue of ghostly war wolves, … and three types of special ore the orcs… I ceased my story and felt a strong suspicion … bone, essecence of hunters, and thrice enchanted stone. The thought and image of that giant wurm of stone with that aura of purpose…me falling stumbling backwards my right hand reaching for my sheathed blade … no time no time I’m going to be struck … the wall of moving stone reeling back like a snake … I was afraid very very afraid … I remember I reached out with my left hand screaming focusing a curse… Fear swelled within my being … there was an explosion inside my chest … my heart exploded? … in that last moment I felt Fear , Pain , I died as my heart ruptured , I was deadeven before my back slammed into the ground.

T’Zyzin eye’s narrowed at the cessation of my tale keenly aware, more than even myself at this moment.

T’Zyzin’s voice that followed was soft, alluring, understanding “Yes, you now realize what you did? In that moment. Myre, you channeled your Fear and struck down your opponent.” T’Zyzin paused allowing the words to sink into me. “Fear, Myre, Fear is weak. That is why your heart was torn apart within your breast. Your enemies will only become numb, in time, to Fear but … HATE … Hate is a fuel for a ever burning fire.”

T’Zyzin continued as I sat in silence absorbing every detail which followed. The Dark Elf, the one with the green gem, was just nobody. A pawn in what was a attempt to assassinate the Queen of Neriak Queen Cristanos. This gem … a strong willed imbued gem of Domination somehow made its way to the streets of Neriak. Something that would sooner or later be discovered and then the gem would take over dominating a weak willed mind. Possibly smuggled in by a rival faction, her own Son who desires the throne also known as Thexians, maybe even the sorcery of Qeynos Brotherhood of Light.

Day 2

“Our”. I immediately noticed T’Zyzin used the word “Our”. “Our Queen demanded the death of both you and the commoner for the parts played in the assassination attempt.” A pause followed as T’Zyzin stood up walking around his desk before seating at the corner to my right. “Well, as you were already dead and through testimony of you slaying the wurm the Queen gave you to me. As well as gifting you the heart of the executed Dark Elven associate you ‘fetched’ for.”

“By now I’m positive you have surmised your” T’Zyzin let his words hang for a moment as his eyes looked into mine “… your connection to Cazic Thule has been severed. Permanently.” I knew it was true and with more time I would feel Cazic’s abscence.

With a energetic jolt T’Zyzin popped up off his grand desk walked around behind me sitting back down into his chair. “You now work for the strength of Neriak. Our Queen and her people and me now.” T’Zyzin, without looking, opened up a drawer I could not see … obviously and slapped a folder down. “Your first task this week is to meet with your new mentor and in parallel perform ever increasing dangeorus duties as I deem. As you accomplish each mission, as there is no word for “Failure” in the Dark Elven tongue, I will award you armour befitting of a newly borne Shadow Knight.” T’Zyzin paused eyes unblinking “What say you? Daughter of Neriak?”

And thus this day I was borne a Shadow Knight into The City of Hate. Neriak.

HATE would be my everything.

Day 4

Dear diary … following the orders of my master, T’Zyzin, I reported to a soldier of Neriak named Kirak N’Tan. N’Tan wasn’t as I was expecting, dismissive … condescending, he simply gave me a patrol-kill mission out in what they call The Commonlands. N’Tan’s handed me a document stamped with the seal of Neriak … “You are to remove any Dervish scum and raze their camps to the ground. This way our trade good caravans reach Freeport safely. Show this to any guards or similar patrols if you are challenged.”

On my way out of the city I stopped by the bank to grab my Picture-Making-Device … a P-M-D 03.D but found the small art-Imp inside dead from starvation. I mean … I was deceased for a couple months. Anyways … after a few patrols and a couple kill orders filled I swung by Freeport city and visited the Gnome tinkers there in. They charged me 50 gold to replace my art-Imp! Well with newish P-M-D in hand …

Yeah … not a very “Shadow Knighty” horse but hey I couldn’t let it starve after relieving it of it’s prior Dervish owners now could I ?