Character thoughts for Starfinder

Oh I’m sure you could cancel it for awhile, feels like that Event Horizon show is a loooooooooong ways out still.

Posted this on a separate thread, just figured I’d add it here in case.

For anyone using the Steam platform for games, Fantasy Grounds is on sale, 75% off until the 24th of March. As far as I know you can sync Steam and the FG site and run it from either.

Does not look to be any discount on specific modules/add-ons, but if looking to pick up the program itself, could be worth a look.

I plan to nab the standard version - even if only to check out FG a bit. On that note, if there is any interest in starting up a FG session to check out rules/features/etc/just see what it can do, then give a yell - I’d be interested to see what can be done with the program.

My timezone is GMT +10 - usually I can catch U.S. evenings - depends when folks are available of course.

1 Like

Note that FGU (the new Unity client) licenses aren’t available on Steam yet, so keep in mind that the FG licenses on there are not the same and will not work for FGU. So if you want the new client (release should be in a month or so, and a mostly solid beta is available), make sure you don’t get the wrong one. Currently the FGU licenses are only available on the FG site but will be added to Steam later.

That said, they have a 10% off sale for FGU licenses from yesterday until the full release, and you can get varying discounts on FGU licenses depending on if you have an existing FG license.

Fair point. I had figured to pick up the “classic” FG rather than the newer unity version, as I assumed people would already be using that version and that transition to the unity one would not be for some time yet.

This may be an error on my part of course - perhaps people want to go with the newer version, or may not even have bought FG yet (like myself) and are not decided.

On that note - to the prospective GMs (@Ryukan, other?) or any other benevolent overlord planning to run Starfinder, what system is your preference? FG classic, FG unity, Roll20, Tabletop Sim, etc

I think I’ll still pick up FGC given the discounted price at the moment, but happy to look into other systems as well.

I just pulled the trigger on FGU and bought the Starfinder Core Rulebook, Armory, and Character Operations Manual to boot!

So Owen K.C. Stephens was one of the main designers for Starfinder but he longer works for Paizo. He still writes a poop ton of content for all sorts of gaming products, including some semi-self published stuff. So he wrote a splat book called Starfarer’s Codex: Legacy Gunslinger which is 100% compatible with Starfinder. The PDF was only $5 so I pulled the trigger (pun intended). It’s not what I thought.

Small Arms still suck in Starfinder. :sadpupper:

After recently watching Ad Astra and rewatching Interstellar, I felt the urge to read/play Starfinder (again). And yet when you look at the settings/milieu of the films compared to the game, they are soooo radically different it’s jarring.

I think that’s my biggest hang-up with Starfinder; I’m expecting to play Serenity or The Expanse, and instead I’d be playing whacky Gygaxian wonderland D&D in space.

Is it possible to “salvage” the rules and streamline and grittify the setting? I don’t know. Which classes would have to change? Which species would get to stay? What happens to magic?

I’m supposed to be reading Hell’s Rebels!

disengaging procrastination mode…