Can someone explain this game to me?

I’ve played all the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games minus FO4. I’ve played countless MMORPGs atarting back with EQ. I’ve read a few articles on FO76 and I still don’t understand what the gameplay is like.

A server is capped at 24 players. Can you make a server private only so only OTG players are on the server?

Since vault 76 is the first vault to open, are players supposed to start rebuilding society as part of the gameplay? If so how does that work with only 24 players on a server where there isn’t any persistence?

In a single player RPG my character does some quest to save the world. In a MMOs I build up my character to do group dungeon runs or raids/trials to defeat boss mobs and get the best loot. I can also do small scale or large scale PVP.

What kind of gameplay are the hardcore FO76 players going to be spending most of their time doing?

Thanks in advance.

It’s really simple! You do stuff. And then you do more stuff. And then you get radiation poisoning, lose your legs, and can’t do any more stuff, so you just sit in your rocker chair dictating to all the youngsters how to do stuff!

2 Likes

It plays like a Fallout or Elder Scrolls singleplayer RP game but with other players on your map. It’s not really comparable to any MMO. There are quests and you’ll increase in level and strength with added perks. Some areas are more dangerous than others. PVP and the environment scale (to a degree) to your level. Groups can consist of four players.

The limited server population is for immersion. This is the wasteland; hordes of players running around would kill that vibe. They intentionally created no main towns so that players wouldn’t congregate in a certain area. Though they expect that players will create their own “towns” or hubs.

There are no NPCs. You get quests through holotapes and other lore. The players will become the factions. So you can be a raider, Brotherhood of Steel, etc.

Bethesda has said that they will be implementing private servers later. So OTG could have their own servers in the future.
Private servers will be able to be modded and restrictions can be placed on PVP. I’m not sure if private servers will have a population limit. There’s not much info on this yet; Bethesda said more info will come after launch. Factions are also not implemented fully yet, though you’ll find quests to become a part of them.

As far as end game, who knows. The game map is large and only encompasses West Virginia, so I speculate that other states will be added later. The design has definitely allowed for further growth. I anticipate seeing more PVP modes and expansions to the construction aspect. Currently endgame seems to be about controlling the few nuclear silos (large scale PVP), which follows the storyline.

Players will likely create towns for trading and role-playing factions. You can’t remodel or add to the existing landscape, but you can build camps and share campsites. The campsites will despawn if another player places one nearby when you are logged out. You can blueprint all your camps and workshops though, and place any of them when you are out scavenging. The game also saves progress when you spawn a camp, so it’s encouraged when you are going to head into dangerous regions. You can fast travel to any player, friend, or camp on the map.

Check out the other posts in this section. I haven’t played since beta and there were changes with the first patch.
There are links in this section to official information and other members might have some intel. I posted a thread with guides here.

Welcome to the wasteland! :sunglasses: (Edit: sheesh, I didn’t realize how long this was lol - enjoy my novella)

Not sure why it was marketed as “rebuild the wasteland”, because (having played it since two days after start - I pre-ordered so they sent my code late) I find no option to “improve” or rebuild anything.

I play with my spouse - I have long wanted to be able to play “Fallout with Friends”. I am dissapointed that:
-no option to share CAMPs, in fact you can’t even build them side by side (though they did reduce the minimum distance apart, so that’s good).
-minimal option for pets (there is a high level charisma perk where you can “tame” a critter to guard your CAMP, but I don’t have an option for that yet).
-no global text chat. There is voice chat, and recently Push-To-Talk has been added, but it’s highly wonky.
-Minimal options for trading, gifting or sharing unless you are in a group. There are folks agitating for a mini-version of vendo-bots at individual CAMPs but it’s not been added. Nothing remotely like guild traders - which would be a lovely addition.

I’d say this game is more like “survival-lite”. At least for now until they make crafting/camping more robust. The current restrictions on buildable area and camp budget are a little irritating, but you can do quite a bit of cool stuff and there are tons of cool things to build provided you can find the plans.

As far as camp sharing, you can do that…kinda. If you are teamed up with someone you can both build items on your camp. But I think only the owner can move or remove things. You also have to both be online and grouped st the same time.

I should also mention that having separate camps is very beneficial to those playing as a group. You can fast travel to any friend or teammates base for free. When my friend and I play, we intentionally make camps far away from each other so we have free fast travel to and from opposite sides of the map. This is very convenient.

1 Like