AARP magazine story

Hi, can you send me your contact info: jlenahan@aarp.org. Thanks.

Bless you. Love this.

Amen!

Thank you. See you in our pc gaming adventures.

1 Like

Much thanks to @jlenahan ! Question and answer from one of our recent applicants:

1. How did you hear about The Old Timers Guild?
    AARP MAGAZINE

How cool is that?

5 Likes

Nice plug there…nice that he posted to AARP Magazine.

Cool!
Is there any chance that someone could post the AARP Magazine article so we could see how OTG was presented? for those of us who have not yet signed up to AARP (I have been eligible for a few years just dodged this need.)

2 Likes

I was interviewed for the article, @Odo! I haven’t seen it yet, though - the website has a number of articles on older gamers, but none of them are current.

I’ve just done a search on the AARP webpage and can only find some stories about older gamers, but could not find any reference to OTG specifically. So I’m not sure is current, most likely archived which does not show up on the search.

If someone has a link directly to the article, I would love to read it.

I hear-tell it’s in the April/May edition. Applicant posted a pic of the cover.

782fb5a85db03e794e32dac1e577733ef6c6075d_2_448x500

3 Likes

I am said applicant in both posts, you’re welcome :slight_smile:

6 Likes

:heart:

It’s not the same story but I did find us mentioned in a 2019 article

Yep…I found it under fun (naturally)…

Fun

• Online Gaming - Online and video games are typically considered to be the sole domain of youth, but fun is ageless. Wii leagues and other online gaming communities are now popular for older adults. For example, the National Seniors League collects statistics and organizes Wii bowling matches between senior and community centers nationwide, engaging older adults to compete, form community and have fun. Another example is the Old Timers Guild. The Old Timers Guild’s own description sums up the promise of online gaming for many older adults: “we are a guild of mature gamers who have bonded together to seek out two things we are all passionate about: fun and gaming.”
6 Likes

And…here’s another story posting about OTG.

Labout doesn’t have many family members or close friends nearby. So every day, he goes online and plays games. He’s particularly active in the Old Timers Guild, a loosely organized group of some 10,000 gamers who want to take a more mature approach to gaming. He plays with a small core of friends, bouncing around between a variety of games. And for Labout and other OTG members, these relationships are just as real as any made offline.

“You spend 20 or 30 hours a week gaming with the same people, night after night, year after year,” says David Board, one of the administrators of the Old Timers Guild. “They become your friends. You may not meet them in person, but they’re your friends.”

In the Future, Senior Citizens Will Play Video Games All Day | by Jack Crosbie | OneZero

4 Likes

So the latest AARP magazine mentioned our guild by name - was it indeed this one?

Rick Mills (Liloo)

1 Like

Yes we have been waiting for it to come out! I have not see it and if anyone could post a copy of it that would be awesome!

1 Like

8 Likes

That is a great shout out to OTG and especially the fact that there’s basically NO boundaries in gaming worlds.

4 Likes

AWESOME…this is fantastic…OTG FTW!!!

1 Like