A little Historical perspective

I really enjoy this game but the historical inaccuracies especially regarding Crassus and the 19th Legion give me heartburn.
The Roman Empire suffered a number of miliary defeats(against foreign forces) but the two worst were Geneal Varus and the 17th, 18th and 19th Legions in the Teutoburg Forrest in AD 7. All three legions were completely destroyed. The Legions lost their Eagles (sacred enblems of the Legions) and were subsequently disbanded and the Romans never used the 17th, 18th and 19th designators again.
The second was the Defeat of Crassus at the battle of Carrehae (AD 40 or thereabouts) by the Parthians. Crassus was killed, but the 19th was not there.
It should be noted that both defeats came at the hands of opponents who defeated the Roman formations. (at Teutoburg it was deception and the terrain, at Carrehae the use of powerful bows to which the Romans had no answer–also poor decision making on the art of both Roman generals)
OK had to get that off my chest.

1 Like

Only because you know having a mage with a firestaff blowing fire out of the tip or a magical gauntlet that has a purple magical blade are all historically accurate too. =D

1 Like

BUHAHAHAH–good point.

From what I hear, they all fall to the musket though…

1 Like