Looking for a new MMO

They made things somewhat easier now with higher stack sizes, but yes, if you go into crafting full force, you’re going to need an awful lot of storage.

I noticed someone recommended doing the daily roulette for the massive experience gain. I don’t recommend it on your initial (main) class. It’s great for leveling other classes, but for your main I would stick to the Main Story Quests (MSQ) and the side quests. Otherwise you’ll find yourself at level 30 doing level 20 quests and since everything in the game is unlocked by the quests there is absolutely no point in out leveling them. As Airen said, FFXIV is all about the story, so for goodness sake don’t skip the cut scenes or tab pass the text. Honestly if you don’t like story this is the wrong game to be playing. In this game you are the hero in every facet of the game so roll with it. Enjoy the game and eventually I hope to see you with us on Excalibur server.

And fortunately it seems very rare to wind up in a party where anyone complains about people watching the cuts scenes. Though there is a timer on dungeon bosses… once someone gets boss aggro, you have 15 seconds to get your butt behind the purple glowy line or you get locked out from the rest of the fight. There are times when the tank forgets that there’s someone new to the dungeon and aggro’s before you’re out of the cut scene. That’s on them, when it happens, not on you, the cut scene watcher.

In the raids (and possibly dungeons) now it will ask you if you want to move in or you can simply walk into the lock out border.

Airen (Ariki Ko FFXIV CO)

Yes, the 15 second timer does not start now until after the cut scene is over. That was a change that came with 4.5 or so. This means that you can no longer get cut out of the boss fight; you might just be a little late getting to it.

Well that’s good to know.

LOL I love my guild mates!!! Thank you for all the information. One of these days (hopefully after the server maintenance) I can join you all on Excalibur.

In dungeons you also get asked if you want to move to the area.

FF14 was a great game and community when i played right after remastered edition came out, not sure how it is now you may also like Black Desert Online .

Black Desert Online? Never heard of it, but I’m down for anything new. Thanks for the suggestion.

BDO has several huge problems, but it mostly boils down to:

• Somewhat P2W (shop bought items really help, and can be sold on the auction house, but are generally sold out even before they appear, basically)
  • RNG can destroy months or years of work (only really important if you want to min/max on end game)
  • Depending on your system setup, the anti hacking software being used can be a serious problem. I stopped playing the game after I had to reinstall the game 3 times in a row to even get it to work (with reboots in between), and when I had to do that again 2 days later I just gave up.

The game looks beautiful, though, and for the amount of time I played it, I really did have fun. There’s tons to do, the guild is still very active as far as I can tell, and it’s cheap enough to give it a try to see if you like it.

Now THIS is a grind.

FFXIV is a beautiful game. I used to play it but with all the free games out there, why pay a sub…

I pay a sub to FFXIV because of the overall quality of the game, which I find to be far superior, when compared to any other game on the market. The game has kept me enthralled for years. No other game has come close. I have played other games where graphics or character motion is the big draw, but they fall far short in other ways such as story or overall content. I have played games where story is the focus, but I have yet to find any game that has a story as long and comprehensive as that of FFXIV. Most (if not all) f2p games are eventually pay-to-win and become much more expensive through micro transactions than the standard monthly fee I pay to FFXIV. Indeed I would say that this is probably the least I have paid for an online RPG since I started playing them in 2008, and all the others were considered “free-to-pay”.

1 Like

If you wanted to try out ff14 i think steam has a trial version u can play before you commit.
If you enjoy story driven games then id recommend this one, there’s no pay to win. Any money you spend in the game shop is pretty much all cosmetics

yeah I have been playing the free trial for a few days now. So far, I like the story elements to it, but I knew I would. I have been a fan of FF since I played FFVII and FF Tactics. I would say, with everything that is going on in the game, its a little overwhelming at first. I don’t mind paying a sub for a game as long as it keeps my interest.

meh, its only a grind after lvl 56. the fogans heroes thing OTG does can get you from lvl 1 to 56 in 2 hours.

I have no idea what you mean by a grind. This is not an endgame game, it’s a game all the way through. Everything in the game is unlocked by Main Story Quests and side quests. If you are not doing the quests then you’re not playing the game. This is not Black Desert or Bless. If you want to skip the story then this game is simply not for you. If you are in a hurry to level to end game then this game is also not for you. If you play the game the way it was meant to be played then you’ll have something to enjoy for the next several years. If you decide that you want to skip all that, then you’re not likely to get much enjoyment out of it, and so you might want to switch to something else. I’ve been playing the game for about 3 years and I have yet to do anything that I consider grind.

Pretty sure Rei was talking about BDO, not FF14 :slight_smile:

Getting the sparky sperm mobile is a grind, though…

Free trial, does this mean it has a subscription fee still?