I was rather disappointed

Since 2012 I have about 1200.00 in this game. Mostly single ship/vehicle sales and a monthly sub.

I think they soured a lot of people on crowdfunding nebulous ideas and done a disservice to a popular means of money raising. Gaming canā€™t sustain this rate of consumption without either 1) raising the cost of gaming, 2) stopping the development-equals-100-hour-per-week crunch, and 3) lowering executive pay.

Iā€™m still waiting for the game to get some release time frame. I havenā€™t played in quite awhile as Iā€™m just not all that into doing alpha/betaā€™s anymore after years of playing alpha/betaā€™s for MMOā€™s and getting burnt out on them. Iā€™m not giving up on the game by any means, but I have plenty of other stuff to play and Iā€™m just not bored enough to test SC right now, because thatā€™s all I feel I will be doing, testing the game. Also I do extra work from July through November every year so Iā€™m not looking to invest time in an alpha right now. Havenā€™t changed my fleet up in awhile, probably wonā€™t between now and release. I have an Orion, a Carrack, Arrow, Vanguard Warden, Star Runner, C2 Hercules and a Nox. I do want one of the motorcycles however and I am thinking of replacing the Hercules with something more useful in my fleet,like a Hull something or other for shipping or maybe going back to the BMM I used to have or something.

I consider myself to be fairly patient (well in regards to most things hehe) and I can wait, but the longer it takes the worse it is going to be for Roberts and Company. Iā€™m potentially doing an PC upgrade this year getting ready for Cyberpunk as well, but Iā€™m only piecemealing it because I donā€™t think I need a huge upgrade. I have plenty of games to play in the meantime so Iā€™m just focuing on that and work and real life stuff. I may check out SC this winter/spring when I have more free time, but I have little interest in it right now ā€¦maybe once it moves to beta stage whenever that is.

I have about $1200 or so invested when all is said and done and a part of my brain yells at me ā€œWTF am I doing spending so much on one gameā€, but the rest of my brain says shut up hehe.

I would bet my account that they will not make ships unobtainable ingame, if they made ships only available via the cash shop after the game releases they would experience perhaps the biggest PR shitstorm ever. That would be akin to an MMO making gear available only in a cash shop.

Ok. But for RSI, it seems any news is good news. Referring to the Crytek lawsuit as an example. But I also think they are on the clock as far as fund raising goes. All of us who have put money into the game so far are also the ones who plan on playing it. That means he has reached about as many players willing to give money out for an experimental game as he is likely to ever get. Since we are heading straight into a decade of development with little progress (Relative to the games scope.) RSI needs to start showing real progress in the game. I am hoping a lot of things are done, but waiting for server meshing. What I am afraid of is RSI being sold to a third party publisher instead of being finished. Vanguard, Saga of Heroes comes to mind.

For me. Iā€™m just in a holding pattern. I fell off the wall back at valentines day and got the heartseeker upgrade for my SuperHornet. But other than that I havenā€™t really opened my wallet in a year and a half. The milestone I am waiting for will be the first arc of Squadron 42 being released. That will be the thing that will draw in new people or not. And even then they might wait until the full Squadron 42 story is released before committing.

For now I am just dealing with RL issues and occasionally playing STO, DDO or LOTRO or some single player games as time allows.

Mith

hmmm
How to respond to that.
It has delivered a lot more than a ship hangar. But it sounds like you already know that.

As for being split into two products, that was always part of the plan.

So far this dev team has done things through R&D for this game that have never been done in any game before, ever. OCS is a good example but that is just one small part of the bigger picture.
I knew going in it was not a 3 or 5 year commitment. The scale of what they are doing and the point at which they had to start from means it will be over a decade before a product is available. That is expected.

Lots of people hear about Star Citizen and they hear how long it is taking. What they do not realize is that most games take this long, we just donā€™t hear about them until they are far past the point of development that SC is today. They are still working out features and back end systems.

I guess I get my feathers ruffled a bit when I see snarky comments like nothing to show for it or not delivering anything or even far behind schedule.

Star Citizen is delivering on a regular schedule, every three months we see advancement. They have a public road map where they show some of the features they are working on, and as part of the ETF, I see the work they are doing up close. To say there is nothing more than a hangar is not only incorrect, it is pretty rude to the team that is working hard to make the game happen.

But, I get it. For lots of people all they see is a game that was funded 6 years ago and still does not have a release date. I am sure if that was all I saw I would think the same thing.
Fortunately, no one in this forum has that excuse since I post information pretty regularly here.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong but I recall that differently. The SQ42 was initially meant as a sort of tutorial.
There even was a poll on OTG way back if backers would finish the SQ42 story first before going into SC.
As it was said that finishing SQ42 would give your character Citizen rights in SC.

At least to my (aging) recollection.

What I remember was the same as Simdor. At the start before if got so expanded. There where supposed to be 3 parts. Squadron 42 - a single player/maybe co-opt game. Star Citizen the PU, and the third thing was supposed to be to let people host thier own versions of Star Citizen the PU on private servers with mods. The last one has gone by the wayside just becuase of the complexity of what the servers would need to be able to do now. And with how stripped down it would need to be to be hosted on a private server I think they have put that option on permanent hold.

Mith

ā€œThe gameā€™s full launch was originally anticipated to be in 2014, but significant expansion of gameplay features have led to postponement. Squadron 42 , a single-player story-driven game set in the same universe as Star Citizen , is also being developed.ā€

There was a date, they just let scope creep get in the way of it. And it was all announced as: Squadron 42 + some expansion packs. Then it morphed into three stand alone games: Squadron 42 (all of it), Behind Enemy Lines, and Third unnamed title.Which IIRC is Space Marines which eventually released.

Yes, Iā€™m negative on it as I know that it doesnā€™t take 10 years to make a game ā€“ plenty of quality games have been made in half the time. so many things would be out of date be the end of the dev cycle, youā€™d have to start over with a new engine. Oh, wait. Thatā€™s exactly what happened.

I hate to see my friends get taken for a ride. I could not, would not, in good conscience, ever tell people to put money to this and thoroughly aghast when they ask for more.

The only concessions I see given to you guys are reduced cost ships, which are still hundreds of dollars, and a code for SQ42, if you got in at the right time. With the general ā€œgotta hope it pays off some dayā€ attitude, to some of us on the outside, it looks like Stockholm Syndrome at times.

You are incorrect.
Scope creep is not what happened.

Anticipated to be released is jargon to say some writer expected it to be that way and it turned out not to be that way. There has never been a release date set for any flavor of SC.

The morph into three games was always part of the plan. It was said at the beginning of the crowd funding that the amount of effort put toward the game would depend on the money that they could get. At a minimum it would be a space combat flight sim, but there was always a plan that included SC and SQ42 as independent titles.

I am not sure how you ā€œknowā€ that games donā€™t take 10 years to make but you are very, very mistaken.
If they were making Minecraft or the next WoW or even Eve 2.0 then sure it might not take 10 years. But this is not any of those things. It is R&D to make tech that did not exist when they started. 10 years ago the idea of server meshing the way SC will do it was just a theory. Nobody has even built anything that can do it much less put it into a MMO. This game is not another knock off of the latest FOTM survival spin off.

You are also incorrect about the starting over with a new engine. That never happened. What did happen is that they were on a branch of Cryengine and moved to Lumberyard, another branch off of Cryengine. They did not have to ā€œstart all overā€ at all, and in fact the conversion between the two took less than 3 months and was done inline with other enhancements that were going in at the time. Basically, as features were being updated they got updated to the new version.

Hey if you donā€™t want to put money toward it then that is certainly your business. But please, stop listening to all of the negative hype and start doing a little research. Know what you are talking about before you try to make us out as fools for investing in the project.

PM the reason for removing the $0 CCUs from the store was reported to be a database issue.
I call BS on that.

The secondary reason is because people were gaming the system, myself included, so that they would hold on to a bunch of 0CCUs and when the ship prices would go up (say at flight ready time) then they would use the 0CCU to get a ā€œdiscountā€ on a ship that was worth more. I did this with my BMM, got it for almost half off.

This process was happening A LOT with the grey market auctioneers. They made a business out of gaming the system. So CIG had to respond, and that response was to eliminate $0 CCUs.

Kinda sux, but it is what it is.

Sure, weā€™ll go with that.

Iā€™m not jaded at all. Iā€™m $21k in and still buying ships if I like them. Iā€™m just old and a realist. I have not the time, energy, or patience to get all upset and butthurt about things I consider to be trivial. Iā€™ve zero interest in playing a broken game, nor do I wish to get burned out on it. I know my limits. In my youth I did the ā€œ80 hours a week alpha testing broken gamesā€, and Iā€™m done with it. I put in my money, let others put in the time. Iā€™m limited in my gaming time and I very much want to enjoy it and it not be work. There are young guys out there that have less money and more time/energy and love tearing this stuff. More power to them, I thank them for their service.

The game is going to come out, that much is certain. I will love SQ42, Iā€™m 99.9% positive of that. I will enjoy a lot of elements of the PU when it eventually comes out, but how much other players can adversely affect my play will dictate whether or not I love it. If private servers ever become a reality, Iā€™ll likely end up on one of my own just to reduce that risk to 0.

Is it just me or do we have 4 different discussions going on here? Nothing is without risk. We all know that. I agree with Simdor about the R&D part of this. I donā€™t play a lot of games, but I have yet to see any of them do what this game can do, even in Alpha form. If server meshing is a go, then your looking at a different way to do things with games. SQ42 has always been RSIā€™s main focus. The MMO second with respect to what they seem to be actually doing. I could be wrong, if so owell. SQ42 doesnā€™t need to be as intricate as the MMO does. We donā€™t need to board a Vanduul carrier for instance, but in the MMO that is a real possibility.

Now I want to board a vanduul carrier

Read the Cal Mason fiction. You might get your wish

Mith

Hey! there are us old guys who love doing that stuff too!

:wink:

Up until this year they were parallel development.
As of last Nov CIG said they are staying focused primarily on SQ42 so they can get it in beta condition as soon as possible.

And SQ42 is linear so they do not have to account for every possibility there. They know your character is not going to buy an Idris and go off on some wild foolā€™s errand to single handedly destroy the Duul threat. Well, unless that IS the story for SQ42.

For those interested in who that is and the stories:

Iā€™m very glad to hear about the SQ42 focus, it means they recognize the value and are pushing it forward. It also means itā€™s close and itā€™s become a sprint, which I really appreciate.

And yes, I know there are old folks that like testing, Iā€™m just not one of them. Not anymore. I did my time :stuck_out_tongue: