Anthem interest

Definitely a buggy weekend, but once I was able to get some real time into it I enjoyed myself. The world is beautiful and I really want to explore it more. I figured out some mouse sensitivity tweaks that helped flying and swimming immensely and it all got better from there. (flying mouse precision to 0%) The mobility and verticallity is really great!

Big issue with this “Demo” is they stated it’s a roughly 6 week old version. The responses from Irving mention the controls have been tweaked in the active build. IGN’s recent live stream noted the controls are much improved. This is just a small piece of this puzzle of course. They seem to be actively listening to feedback so I hope that’s a good sign.

I’m thinking I’ll do a month of the Origin Premier access when it comes out and make my decision from there. $15 cost and then 10% off game purchase if I decide to purchase isn’t too bad in my mind.

I have had high hopes for this game and from what I’ve played so far I’m still enthusiastic for BioWare’s success on this one. It’s going in the right direction currently but they really need to iron out their stuff and be honest about how this “Demo” has rolled out.

Dev Reply to above Reddit thread:

With the exception of uncontrollable flight/swimming, I must have been lucky since I didn’t experience all the issues other players had. Granted, loading did take more time than I felt normal, but it never was stuck or failed for me.

Walking around the town area felt stiff as hell, but was manageable. After making tweaks to the config settings, flight was smooth and controllable. I only got to swim once so wasn’t able to test similar settings there.

I’m ready for this open demo weekend, if I enjoy it will buy it for PC

I am also downloading the demo. I liked it when I read “…just like Destiny 2 but without the PVP.” Perfect for me LOL So I’ll be giving it a test run this weekend as well.

The interesting thing about their minimum requirements is that they are fundamentally wrong, or at least mis-leading. I am currently playing the free demo on a Windows 7-64 bit laptop. So I have to wonder what the real min requirements are…

@kellewic: What settings did you use to make flight possible? I find it totally uncontrollable to the point it’s useless. If it was IRL, I’d be too motion sick to do anything… Keep getting lost, too…

Easiest way to change them (IMO) is go to your Documents in BioWare\AnthemDemo\settings\ProfileOptions_profile (it’s a text file) and change the following:

GstInput.DylanOption_MouseFlightPrecision 0.000000
GstInput.DylanOption_MouseFlightResponse 0.000000
GstInput.DylanOption_MouseFlightSensitivity 0.250000

GstInput.MouseSensitivity 80.000000

GstInput.DylanOption_MouseSwimPrecision 0.000000
GstInput.DylanOption_MouseSwimResponse 0.000000
GstInput.DylanOption_MouseSwimSensitivity 0.250000

These are the value I use and flight is pretty smooth. Swimming is still weird, but manageable.

Thanks, Kellewic. I will try that sometime.

Note: I did try those settings, and it did improve things with some more tweaking; but I gave up and went with my Xbox 360 controller on the PC. MUCH betterer. Very smooth. Play and flight.

I preorder the game!!

That is interesting. Is anyone else able to run the game on something other than Windows 10? Is there another demo scheduled or… what is the next step. Release is scheduled for this month, right?

My computer is running Windows 8. I’m hoping to stay on that computer for another year before replacing it.

Ixax:
I was running the Demo on Windows 7 Pro. I know their website says Windows 10 only; but clearly that wasn’t true. I did have to update my video card driver (nVidia GTX-970M) to the latest, otherwise I just got a blank, black screen. After the driver update - ran fine. Not sure what the FPS was; but it ran smoothly, so I’m guessing at least 50+

Windows 8 - I’m not sure. If it ran on 7, it “should” run on 8 as well… Though if you’ll pardon me - I never liked version 8 (experience at work & with friends), so I never installed it, so I don’t know much about it…

I pre-ordered it and have played the demos on the PC. I’ve been a fan of Bioware for years. I love almost everyone Bioware game Mass Effect , Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, etc. I’m looking forward to the EA Origin Access Premier member release on Feb 14th!

2 Likes

Awesome! Will you tell us how the final release product is? It will be a few months before I can play. There’s so many games I have to buy that are coming out too damn close together, damn them!! I have too pick and choose.

@Kelryth Sure. I’ll give an update once I’ve played the released game.

I’ll definitely be playing Anthem at release. I’m Bloody_Brett on Origin, so if anyone who is playing wants to, shoot me a friend invite so we can get together in game!

I got the game for free with new card…Ill be playing some Anthem for sure. I have a few hours in already from the beta.

My love for Dragon Age and Mass Effect is so intense, I just can’t not give Anthem a whirl.
On the other hand, I’m a total neophyte when it comes to MMOs and a pretty lousy shot to boot. I played both demos which (load screen issues aside) were fun but didn’t give me enough story tease.
Since I’ve been a RPG single player all my long life and this game is all about teams, it would be great to find some like long-lived like-minded adventurers to play with.

@TrulyHere Hi, the best way to get Anthem players in your friend’s list is to add some people from this post:
Post your Origin Names here!

You can add me: royalpriest.

Also checkout the Old Timers Guild discord channel “GG - Anthem”. GG=General Games.

Thanks, RP. I’ll add you as soon as they issue the “please don’t brick my PS4” patch. Like you, I prefer single player RPGs and am finding Anthem a bit of a slog - not enough exploration or problem solving and way too much shooting for a D- shot like me. But am not willing to call it quits yet. Hell, I finished Andromeda so I can give this a little more time. Thanks again.

I’ve been following this for a while and thought about getting it but unless things change and Bioware and EA gets their heads out of their collective asses I don’t see much of a future in this game. It doesn’t look good when you piss off your playerbase enough that they start organizing protest boycotts.