Our new rescue

She’s adorable! Welcome home, darlin’! We have an 11 year old chiweenie that was my daughter’s. He had to stay with us beause her husband was terrified of dogs. She’s divorced him, but says Winslow is better off with us, because I’m home during the day. :slight_smile:

Yea…I’m finding that Margo is warming up to me fairly well. But I’m retired and home most of the time too. So that does play into it.

Lyn, you got a doggie! Yeaaaaa!

Those ears, oh those ears. Well, you have listened to me talk about fostering rescues, so hit me up if you want to talk through something.

For one, on walks with that other dog: Talk to the owner and see if you can walk them a ways together. Meet up, and then just start walking along side each other, still keeping them on a short leash for a bit. Dogs that “walk” together, start to get in the mindset that they ARE together–patrolling, etc. Plus, the need to keep moving forward breaks their brain out of the over-stimulated greeting. After a block or so, stop and then let them greet each other. You should see an improvement.

Oh HI Luppi, how have you and your dogs been doing these days? Every time I see a video of dogs “singing” along I think of your dogs. :rofl:

As for Margo, this is an interesting experience. Mind you, all these years I’ve had cats so the interactions were totally different. I’m the one getting into the swing of things as Margo gets calm and used to being a part of a permanent family that adores her. My son last night sat with her on the floor for a bit before he went to bed.

I am learning to adjust my schedule so that I am mindful of her needs. I have put her out in the back yard for a small amount of time on a lead attached to the deck post. I don’t force this because I don’t want her not to go out. But we have two dogs next door that tend to be aggressive and when they spot her, its like the wolves have arrived with all the barking. Scares her somewhat…but yesterday when they started up, she felt more secure to the point she did not run to the door, but just sat there looking their way and ignoring their behavior.

I have spoken with my neighbor about it, and she is in agreement that we should not allow her dogs close to Margo. Her fear is, because Margo is so tiny compared to her dogs, that Margo could get hurt.

Maybe later after they all get used to being next door to one another and her dogs stop being so frantic to get to Margo, I can let her roam freely on that side of our yard adjacent to them. At least with a fence between them, there should be no problem. Margo can’t jump it, but I suspect hers might be able to if they wanted to. My neighbor is aware of this and has plans to implement higher fence walls on that side of the yard.

Anyway, we are adjusting and I am really pleased. Margo also has given me more smiles in just a week than I’ve had since my cats passed on. I’ve sorely missed that. And now I have a walking companion. THAT is a big plus, as I hate walking alone.

1 Like

Lyn if the neighbor dogs are that vocal, you might want to never let them near little Margo. Or let her near that fence. My little ones don’t roam the main yard at all. The dogs in back of me have come into my yard and attacked mine. Plus big birds can carry them off in a heartbeat. For outside playtime a nice walk on a leash would be better for her. Feel free to find me to chat more about tiny dogs in Discord. :slight_smile:

So cute!

Yea Aerythe, that was the conclusion I came to. Margo does fine on the tether for very short periods of time as long as I am able to monitor her…but most of the time we walk on the leash up and down the neighborhood. Since we live in a cul-de-sac we have no cross traffic and most of my neighbors (those that I do know) are really accommodating. So far even the grumpy guy at the end of the cul-de-sac had kind words once he spotted Margo yesterday. Normally he would just wave and sorta ignore me.

Anyway, I have the foster rescue lady (Sandy) coming over next week to discuss things. I have some questions for her and Margo was so happy to see her when I took Margo in for her free pedicure today. Sandy is part of the rescue group that is there every Sat with the rescue dogs on display for adoption. I think we are building a great friendship which I am very happy for. Now not only will Sandy get to see Margo on occasion, but I get a really good source of information and a new friend.

Good news is Sandy says Margo really is a couch potato and not prone to chew (or anything else) that a lot of pups indulge in. So once she gets acclimated to our house and us as a family, there will be us sitting together…like an old lady and her child. :rofl:

I could not resist that …heheheh.

Margo sits on the foot rest from the big chair that is right next to my gaming setup. So she keeps an eye on my play but seems bored with it most of the time…just seems to like being nearby. I am feeling very good with her presence and almost called her my shadow.

1 Like

Velcro dog. :wink:

:ok_hand:

New pictures of Margo…she has made herself at home.

!

3 Likes

She is so pretty. What a sweet furbaby!

Here is another shot of her with her new walking sweater…

2 Likes

And now the family is complete.

2 Likes

So sweet!