Help please

SSID is just the broadcast to make the network visible for new devices to connect. I have it on for my guest network and for mobile devices, but off for my other network (since everything on that network are always on/connected).

20/40 is the frequency, longer wave (20MHz) goes further and penetrates (through walls and floors) better than 40 MHz. so it depends on how big an area you need to cover and what is in that area. with the router being upstairs you may want to put it on 20MHz and see if that stabilizes things, but if you are not disconnecting from the network when this issue comes up then it more than likely will not help.

So, i just googled knob and tube wiring and wow…never heard of that before. I don’t think it will work in this instance. From my reading it appears that knob and tube puts noise in the line that could interfere with powerline networking.

If you are having signal issues, you could try using your phone to check and make sure that you are getting a strong signal without a lot of interference. At least on android there are apps like “wifi analyzer” that will show all wifi sources around you and what channel they are on. Then you would use that information to change channels on the router to eliminate cross talk interference and move the router around the room/adjust the antenna to maximize the signal in the location you will be in.

Keep in mind though that depending on how the other person’s computer is using the internet and distance/quality of signal they get can cause the router to allocate resources differently. The amount of extra ram usage could be due to your computer trying to maintain the connection.

There’s a tool that’s been with Windows since… 7?

If you open a command prompt (or in your search), run ‘resmon’. This will bring up a little ‘resource monitor’, you can isolated processes there, see what’s using most memory and/or bandwidth, stuff like that.

That might help you to track down what’s causing it, hopefully.

I realized I forgot to do something fundamental. So I uninstalled WoW and am reinstalling it now. If that doesn’t work I’ll try installing the OS again. If that doesn’t work I might try calling Gringotts and hiring a curse breaker or the Vatican and get an exorcist.

Don’t forget to sacrifice a few dodos!

OK. Current Situation. I have 6/3 for my internet. More than I had before the issue started. Had 2/1 for 2 years and everything ran fine.New router. I plugged into the ethernet cable and still the yo-yoing. Clean OS and installed over the weekend. No Addon’s and minimal programs Just office and spybot. All of my drivers are up to date. Any clue where I go from here? I am fresh out of ideas

did you do traceroute or pingplot to see how good your connection is to the internet?

I pinged a good rate to google. I think I might have located the issue. I think I’m running hot on mu CPU. Durring raid I was at 90-96 degrees. Might need to apply a new coat of thermal gel. Maybe a new fan

Oh yeah… If it starts downclocking then you definitely have an issue!

SOLVED!!! I cracked the case open and cleaned the whole thing out and reapplied thermal gel. Working like a BOSS now. Thanks Everyone! Snydlee, Sputty and Spoon. (Why all the S’s?)

Because we’re Shelpful!

Strue