Google+ being discontinued (NOT GMAIL)

I have to admit I rarely use my gmail accounts for anything more than part of my credentials on my games. Well, now it appears I have to move EVERYTHING I have gmail accounts attached to, onto another platform email if I wish to maintain my ID credentials without disruption.

All my games link to a gmail account, my reader is attached to a gmail account…and so on.

I wonder how many other OTGers might be faced with this problem? Anyway, I thought I would post it here since my notification stated April as the deadline. The following is only an excerpt of what it said:

Google+ Team noreply@plus.google.com
Fri, Feb 1, 9:48 AM (1 day ago)
to me

You’ve received this email because you have a consumer (personal) Google+ account or you manage a Google+ page.

In December 2018, we announced our decision to shut down Google+ for consumers in April 2019 due to low usage and challenges involved in maintaining a successful product that meets consumers’ expectations. We want to thank you for being part of Google+ and provide next steps, including how to download your photos and other content.

On April 2nd, your Google+ account and any Google+ pages you created will be shut down and we will begin deleting content from consumer Google+ accounts. Photos and videos from Google+ in your Album Archive and your Google+ pages will also be deleted. You can download and save your content, just make sure to do so before April. Note that photos and videos backed up in Google Photos will not be deleted.

1 Like

this is social media app google plus being eliminated. they are not killing Gmail.

1 Like

Google+ was Google’s attempt to try and compete with Facebook. It has some cool qualities but it never caught on. I tried it for a few months but the only people that went to it were those disgruntled with FB.

Well, I can’t imagine any other reason for that email to me from them…I use the gmail accounts as part of my game credentials and do not use their social media stuff…

Pretty much everyone had a Google+ account if you have a gmail account.

Do not panic!

We swear, your gmail account is not going away when this changes.

the only part of google getting axed is google+ because no one knew that it existed to begin with. gmail, google docs and everything else is still going to be there.

Thank you all for the great responses…

I finally found a Google+ forum page where a lot of folks…and I do mean a lot, were also confused by the verbiage used in the email received. So apparently Google+ support has been busy putting out fires and clarifying exactly what was NOT going to be discontinued. And there are a lot of sighs/“thank you” populating their feed.

It seems so many articles in news feeds are not the only place where proper editing prior to publication is lacking. lol

Can we change the thread title, then? Google+ is what’s getting discontinued, not Gmail.

1 Like

Looks like Cefwyn already did change the title…thanks for that change Cefwyn. I did not even think about that when I made my last response. :grinning:

I got this too. At one point I had a bunch of RSS stuff dying and I tried out Google+, but then never used it. I think all the game linkages will still work with respect to gmail.

They are ending Inbox too, I liked it on my phone so much better than regular gmail hope they add in the features of it.

1 Like

I’m going to miss G+. Photography groups were great there. G mail is fine. by the way, if you use Hangouts they will be phased out, too.

Nice to see I am not the only one who uses different e-mail platforms for different focuses.

what about google photos?

Only thing affected is Google+ and photos posted there. Google Photos itself is not going anywhere.