Dog blues

I had to put down our 13yr old golden retriever Annie on Sunday. She was refusing food, could not stand and was lying in her own urine, was in pain, and had internal bleeding as shown by white gums. It was time.

It has been hard on us all. I think when it hurts the most is when we notice the hole in our lives. My son was doing the dishes, and he remembered she used to watch him, and he broke down. My wife took the surviving dog Hero out this morning, and was really hurting. I sing a stupid goodbye song before I go to work (started doing this when the kids were young and had separation anxiety, just kept doing it for the dogs), and I lost it this morning.

I know some people who say no more when their dogs die. My parents for instance had 3 go in short order and have been without dogs.

Not me. I want a new pup. Something about the pain you feel at that life gone that reminds you of how great that life was, and it makes me want to seek out new life. There you go, my $0.02 epiphany for the day.

Daughter in SF is having a hard time. She FaceTimed us during the procedure, and my son was her arms. Annie was her dog.

We saw her going downhill for a while now. We did go out to the cabin in WVa one last time for Annie. She swam in the pond on a great sunny day. We gave her a pork chop for dinner. Ticked that off the bucket list.

So here I am with a bad case of dog blues.

Update- about a week has passed since we put Annie down. A wood box with her name and her ashes arrived. We have gone from hurting daily to renewing our relationship with the surviving dog, Hero. He was always the submissive one of the pair, and now seems to be slowly adjusting to being the focus of the family. It really helped having a low key stay at home weekend last weekend. Working while grieving was hard.

My wife walks him more, and that seems to be helping both of them. For my daughter in SF, I think the reality of it will not hit until she comes home late summer for our beach trip.

I have pushed for a puppy, but my wife wants to wait until we are done travelling for the year and have a lot of time home. I think about all those pictures we took as her end was nearing, and I do not want to see any of them. I like instead the action shots of a younger Annie.

3 Likes

Honestly, you did what was best for Annie. I have had a lot of my dogs die over the years and yeah they are family. I feel your pain man. My dogs sleep with us, which actually makes it worse when they go, but I have been sleeping with my dogs since I was a little kid, so I am not changing. My only real hope is that my dogs will join me in the hereafter. I would like that. Most of the time, I like dogs better than people, which probably isn’t right but it is true. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hugest of hugs, Snydelee to you and your family. :heart:

1 Like

I still miss the dog I grew up with - a miniature poodle named Fitzi. She went everywhere with us, even to school (my parents were the teachers.) We got her in the spring of my 7th grade year, and the folks finally put her to sleep when my older daughter was a year or so old.

We have a rescue poodle now, named Snickers. He has learned to shut the door after he goes outside and is rewarded with a carrot; he loves carrots! He’s getting older, too. We’ve had him 7 years, and he was several years old when we got him. Dreading the day that life for him is no longer worth it, but so glad he is part of our family now.

Get that puppy and make new memories… :broken_heart:

1 Like

Hugs to you, sorry to hear you lost a fur friend. Dogs are my spirit animals, I will never want any animal companions over dogs. I have three dogs myself currently all rescues/adoptions. The pain from losing a pet is hard and it’s the one thing I dread about having pets, but it is the price we pay for having them in our lives.

I personally believe that when a pet passes away, one should not stop them from filling that void when they feel the time is right. Our pets that have passed would not want us to hurt forever and I don’t think they would want that love to go to waste. I think that in spirit they know that even though we get a new pet, we will never love those that are gone any less and we will always cherish the memories we have of their companionship and love for us.

I’m getting a little choked up at work typing this, so I will say no more.

1 Like

So sorry for your loss, pets are part of our family too. I agree with you re. getting a new pup, there are so many in need of a good home.

1 Like

I have this fond dream that when my time comes, I will know it, because every dog I ever had will come running to me again

5 Likes

Sorry for your loss, it’s been a big year for losing cats and a dog for us too.

1 Like

Sorry for your loss. I buried my last dog, a constant companion, when I was 35 and now Im 70. No more dogs for me other than myself and my wife as we are part dog forever and to each other.

1 Like

Oh my…so sorry to hear about your loss. Condolences and great big hugs sent your way. Find yourself another to help moving forward.

1 Like

I am so sorry for your loss. Saying goodbye to my dog was one of the hardest things that I have ever done. Sorrow is the memory of what once gave us great joy. Eventually, the sorrow will fade - but the joy of your memories with Annie never will.

My best to you and your family.

2 Likes

So sorry to hear. My condolences. Been there many times and it is never easy.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Snydelee, we had almost the same experience just last year. We too used Facetime for my oldest daughter to be there at the end and it was hard. All I can say is that it’s good to remember our friends, and there is a new friend waiting to join your family somewhere. We found ours at the local humane society, and it’s nice to have a dog to hug when you remember the one that is gone.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss. Why we were given best friends with such a comparatively short life span seems the cruelest joke, but I try to tell myself it’s because they live and love so well while they are here.

2 Likes

I have tears in my eyes, so sad to hear this. Pets are family too. Best wishes.

2 Likes

So very sorry for the loss of a loved one! No advice, since everyone is different! My experiences though, I’ve had and mourned pets for all of the 54 years I can remember ( my parents bred and trained black labs, and later after retirement became fosters, so my first memories are of crawling all over Duke and Lady as an infant). Even though each loss hurts, I love pets, and for me, life is just a little emptier without them!

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss… they’re family. I’ve lost a few over the years and I cherish the time with every one of them.

2 Likes